TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 Z/28 is a go 1/1/2012

bpmurr

330s and 285s... If those are the acutally OEM tire sizes... nice! I agree, it's time for Ford to go a little wider.

Wow, no kidding? 330's? Maybe they're a specific new size for the Z28. Never heard of a 330. I certainly wouldn't mind gettting a

wide enough wheel and putting 325's on my Shelby. Would they fit? Hmmmmmm

Back on topic, seriously, the Z28 could have 900 horsepower and I wouldn't want one. They're just a faster version of the already UGLY Camaro.

I think a front 285 tire is too big. A rear 305 or larger would have been good on the GT500.

I have 285/30-20 on 9.875" wide rims on the front and they work fine (and 335/30-20 on 11.5" rims on the rear). Despite the increased differential in width between front and back, there's less understeer than I had with the stock Goodyears -- and braking performance has improved with the wider tires as well -- although, how much of this is due to the difference in tire size vs. the difference in construction betweens the PS2s and the F1s is hard to say.

In any event, I don't think it would take much for Ford to offer a similar tire package option on the GT500 -- basically they would just need to change the rear bump stop bracket (so it didn't intrude so much into the rear wheel well).

post-4140-0-74315300-1294980941_thumb.jpg

post-4140-0-74315300-1294980941_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmmm..... I certainly won't be lining up to buy it new, but I can DEFINITELY see a low mile Z28 in my garage after somebody takes the depreciation hit for me!

I'd like a low mileage one too............that's about 40 years old ! The new one is still just an ugly turd-on-wheels.........

The GT500 needs a minimum 12" wide rear wheel with 335's. Works great on the Z06.

Actually, Michelin lists a minimum width of 11.5" for the 335/30-20 PS2, which is the combination I have -- and they fit fine.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=33YR0SPORTPS2N0&tab=Specs

aaaaaaaand Camaro5 will have even more members and maybe crash the site. :hysterical: J/K as long as people buy american regardless if it's a GT500, new Z/28, or the Challanger 392 and keep our economy up, I'm fine with it. Even though it's sort of a chubby car and you can't see out of it. Just don't let the magazines like motor trend get a hold of it and put it up against those sh!t-job imports and say that it is better than the American car.

and for my other thing on the Z/28, 285s up front? Wouldn't that rub againt the wheel well or the strut tower? It would also be nice if the GT500 had that, but still. Even though I agree that we need more and better rubber on the back too.

Archived