TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can you use factory shift handle and knob with Shelby short throw shifter

dingo2008

I think the thread's for the knob are different as if you look on the Shelby Performance Parts website they show two different aftermarket knobs (white one with Shelby lettering on side). One states that it works with the Shelby shifters and the other states that it works with the stock shifter. This would lead me to believe the shelby shifters have a different thread pattern. I'm not sure if you can get a factory looking knob that fits that or not.

I know the thread for the knob is different, factory knob is fine thread, shelby is course thread knob, what I need to know is where the actual lever that the knob screws to is bolted to the shifter and uses two bolts to hold it to the shifter. Will my factory shift lever bolt onto the shelby shifter using those two same bolts, that way i will be able to use my factory shift knob and factory shift lever with the shelby shifter assembly. Thanks for the help if any one knows, if you have the shelby shifter and still have your factory one, could you try bolting your factory lever and knob on your shelby shifter to confirm it works for me. Thanks

I know the thread for the knob is different, factory knob is fine thread, shelby is course thread knob, what I need to know is where the actual lever that the knob screws to is bolted to the shifter and uses two bolts to hold it to the shifter. Will my factory shift lever bolt onto the shelby shifter using those two same bolts, that way i will be able to use my factory shift knob and factory shift lever with the shelby shifter assembly. Thanks for the help if any one knows, if you have the shelby shifter and still have your factory one, could you try bolting your factory lever and knob on your shelby shifter to confirm it works for me. Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is a difference in how the shift levers mount from the '09/earlier and the '10/'11 cars.

I know that on my 2010, the two bolts that hold the shift lever onto the shfter stub screw in from the right (pass) side, across the console.

And I *think* the earlier cars have the bolts screw in from the front (pointing to the rear of the car).

If that's the case then the stock shift lever on the '07-'09 cars will work on the Shelby Shifter but the shaft from a 10 or 11 car will not.

Because I THINK the SPP shifter has the bolts from the front, not the side.

I say, I THINK (which really means I don't KNOW).

I base this on photo's I've seen of earlier cars and actual knowledge of my own 2010 shifter when I changed it to a MGW.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thanks,

Phill

Archived