TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 GT500 with Recaro seat question..

cnaimo

It looks loike the Ford Racing Recaros that are in the Boss are cloth and have the wiring harness for the power adjustments. They are listed at $1050 each. This leads me to believe that the Recaros in the GT500 are leather by the pic posted in this thread and I would assume they have the wiring harness also for the power adjustment. I would expect the price to be higher since they are leather...maybe $1400-1600?

Power seats really? What are you, my grandfather? :hysterical:

It's kind of funny because you have all these people asking for a lightweight car and all these other people who want every available option. Last I checked Shelby's are MUSCLE cars. Not luxury cars. Besides, I can adjust the seat faster manually than I can with power (of course with me being 6'4" they go ALL the way back).

But either way they do look AWESOME! :wub:

I really don't get it. How the heck are you supposed to order a car without a full description of the available options? :headscratch: Seriously Ford, this is absolutely embarrassing! Pull it together.

Agreed. It's one of the many ways the car culture has operated under a set of realities unto itself - that make absolutely NO sense anywhere else. Ford's hardly the exception - but now that it's getting its product squared away and people are actually buying them with some expectations in mind, the logic disparity is becoming even more glaring.

Absolutely no other industry in the world would market such expensive product so poorly - amid a franchise structure that's broken from the bottom up. Fortunately for Ford, upon whom Mulally is exerting such a strong influence and Bill Ford who ensures a receptive audience, some of the basic common sense principles that govern the real-world are beginning to seep-in.

Look carefully over the next year at what happens with Lincoln - particularly with respect to Lincoln dealers, ESPECIALLY freestanding Lincoln stores, or the few indpendent Lincoln stores that are paired with non-Ford brands. Ford is beginning to exert leverage by effectively holding the entire brand hostage until it not only pares-down the dealer count to the size it wants, but each store has a foundation of facilities, services and discrete staff to build upon - before Ford will invest a single nickel of its own to build the class-competitive luxury cars they hope to sell.

It may not seem like much - or even related, but it's at the very center of this problem, and it's a critical first step in properly orienting horse and cart - for perhaps the first time in 50 years. Ford seems to be moving beyond throwing a set of common signs and building design recommendations at stores into creating a brand image and standards it will expect each operator to execute against - something the auto industry could benefit from immeasurably by studying certain aspects of other franchised brands, like McDonald's.

It will hopefully trickle-down to all aspects of Ford's various business lines, particularly higher-margin ones like its own Aftermarket accessories and Racing products. I have no idea whether or not I represent the typical customer, but I can personally think of several hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars at any given time that I'd willingly spend if anything approaching even basic information existed in any sort of consistent and comprehensive manner - as virtually every other product-oriented business creates for each of its products and components from proverbial Day One - as an integral aspect of the product itself.

It won't happen overnight, and it won't be simple - but Ford's global initiative will make it exponentially easier as Ford, and each Ford vendor, can build new products with these aspects cared-for as part of their DNA. There will also be tremendous resistance from dealers - to whom any additional responsibility is merely another expense or burdensome obligation THEY see as being imposed upon them unfairly. (i.e. "We've been selling cars for a dozen generations of my family, what does Ford know about selling cars? It should stick to making them - where they belong.") Of course, investing the resources to create the infrastructure is worthless without a field presence that will put it to use.

But that also extends to the centralized areas of the business - like the SVT desk, who is outward facing, but is often no better-informed about product than owner enthusiasts. Ford should eventually ensure this is NEVER the case - once the rest of its house is in-order. And it's only fair to expect dealers to execute against a higher standard AFTER Ford itself has set the example - and provided the tools.

Back to the product itself for a moment, and using the Ford Racing Recaro Seats as an example, there's absolutely no reason why full installation and support documentation shouldn't be available straight from the core product page - along with matrices showing direct OE replacement compatibility in a standardized format, a comprehensive FAQ section, and even links to standardized compatible up-sells like the 2012 GT500 leather seating surfaces which would be just another $500 in sales (per seat) a great many people would be only too happy to purchase too.

Ford should be providing me with suggestions and reasons as to why I should be welcoming the opportunity to spend more money with them - not ignoring and leaving in my way as many obstacles as I may be willing to overcome. For all the hundreds of millions spent to develop a new product platform, I can't believe the tens of millions in additional business Ford is leaving on the table by squandering the existing opportunities it already has - for its own sake, and the additional benefit of its suppliers who would benefit from Mulally's "Profitable growth for all" mantra.

Don't get me wrong - Ford's resurgence has been nothing short of breathtaking, particularly given the obstacles placed in its way - which likely never included considering the fact that two of its primary competitors would be allowed to operate as if money didn't matter - and then be forgiven their sins when after they did. So, this is WAY down the list of fundamental priorities - and Ford's shown absolutely no evidence of taking its eye off the ball.

Even when it's missed the mark (like Lincoln MKT), it missed the mark by building a beautifully-crafted vehicle that's a joy to drive nonetheless. It's just that with each part of the foundation Ford successfully rebuilds, more time and attention are focused upon the above-ground aspects of the business as each becomes the newest generation of low-hanging fruit - until hopefully all the branches are eventually picked-bare.

/end_of_rant

• 4 months later...

Anyone has an update on this one ? I just ask the dealer the price for those Recaro, and its crazy ! The lower cushion goes for 1900$ and the upper part is 2400$, and that is for each seat !

Does anyone know what adjustments will come with these seats besides forward and back?

I would be very curious myself if these seats are electric. I saw a GT500 in No. Carolina with these seats in them and they are awesome. Only problem is, I didn't check to see if they were electric. I really want the seats in my car but I have to have electric.....

I would be very curious myself if these seats are electric. I saw a GT500 in No. Carolina with these seats in them and they are awesome. Only problem is, I didn't check to see if they were electric. I really want the seats in my car but I have to have electric.....

They are not.

The FAR better route is to order them from Ford Racing - once available and re-skin them in factory leather from the parts desk.

Will tell you this----DO NOT DRIVE one with the Recaro's! There is a night and day difference but they are not for everybody. "Large" people will not care for them lol. Love mine! :shift:

I second the comment about the Recaros and the caution of they are not for everyone.

I love mine too. At first, I thought I would miss not having electric, however, these seats are simply awesome. They fit me like a glove.

I second the comment about the Recaros and the caution of they are not for everyone.

I love mine too. At first, I thought I would miss not having electric, however, these seats are simply awesome. They fit me like a glove.

The Recaro seats are an incredible upgrade -- regardless of whether you are on the track or on the highways. I recently made a 1,000 mile roundtrip and found the seats extremely comfortable on the highways and very supportive on the on-off ramps :) The only problem is that Ford/Recaro have a design/manufacturing flaw with the shoulder harness plastic bezels. They never took into account the expansion properties of plastics and the bezels will unclip and fall out due to extreme temperature changes. Recaro has been extremely helpful and is sending me a temporary fix until the redesigned parts are available in early August.

Just got back from lunch and saw (don't hate me for this) a "large man" in a 2012 wearing a white dress shirt and tie (driving the Raptor) and looking down he looked like a marshmallow stuffed into a shot glass! :hysterical:

The Recaro seats are an incredible upgrade -- regardless of whether you are on the track or on the highways. I recently made a 1,000 mile roundtrip and found the seats extremely comfortable on the highways and very supportive on the on-off ramps :) The only problem is that Ford/Recaro have a design/manufacturing flaw with the shoulder harness plastic bezels. They never took into account the expansion properties of plastics and the bezels will unclip and fall out due to extreme temperature changes. Recaro has been extremely helpful and is sending me a temporary fix until the redesigned parts are available in early August.

I need to check out those plastic bezels and see what you mean.

How does one obtain redesigned parts?

Archived