TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FoMoCo Royaly SUCKS! Period

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TTB,

Any Idea what it would cost to make the repairs on your car. If I read correctly, you need a small dent on the roof fixed and repainted. Stripes removed. Car wet sanded and buffed, and then new stripes put back on, and then a good polish job.

How much money are we talking here ?

Any body and fender guys care to chime in ?

TTB,

I was wondering. If the stripes were removed, could the car be lightly sanded / scuffed and then a couple good coats of clear applied. What kind of job would that take to do it right ?

This quote you posted is the Crimson red "replacement shelby" TTB posted with photos that showed "DA" marks in it & after reading what TTB wrote when he picked it up I am now confused too? TTB please expalin?

Yeah....what he said!? OK....first a disclaimer. I read through my following words and thought "man is he gonna be defensive". Then I thought, WTF. So, no malice intended, but my thoughts are:

Let me get this straight. You bought two GT500s. One was fine, the other you had a ton of problems with. After much communication, Ford did a buyback of your car. (If I remember correctly...and at the risk of getting the same attitude Ruf received when he brought this up....you accepted that car without a dealer PDI, insisting that you'd do the work yourself. Your detailed inspection of the car was when you found all the problems...correct??) It was regarding the "buyback" car that you began posting about it being available on eBay or Cars.com or something without a disclaimer that you thought should be on it, right?

So THIS car...the one with swirls, bad panel fit, dent in roof, but a neat nav system...is the replacement for the first one (the buyback), right??

You managed to get not one, but TWO Shelbys with incredibly inferior quality issues?! If that's the case, you don't need Ford's help, you need to find someone to take the VooDoo pins out of your doll.

As for all the other problems you cite (trannys, coolant leaks, etc), welcome to Year One of a car....particularly a performance car. Want fewer problems, wait a few years. Want to be "first"? Expect problems.

It's obvious that you're pissed. You're all over this and other forums with the story. And, while we're all sympathetic to a brother that gets a bad apple, none of us have the power to fix it for you!

IF you really took delivery of this and the other car without a proper personal inspection and PDI at the dealership, YOU hold the responsibility here. You are now clearly at the mercy of the system. The system is (1) The dealer (2) a zone rep (3) the BBB (4) Ford's "ladder". At step 3 an attorney gets involved. Unfortunately, you've already been up the ladder with no representation. Subsequent trips up the ladder will take longer and cost you more.

My guess is that you're posting Round 2 of all this because you're looking for support and/or advice. I'll go one further in that I'll offer the sympathy as well. Not for your bad luck with cars or Ford, but for not knowing how to manipulate the system.

Now, here's the advice part: Stop Googling for Bill Ford's home address and Google up a good attorney. A good one with "respond" to the issues rather than "react" to them.

Stop reacting and start letting someone respond for you.

bj

My opinion or 2 cents.

I have read every post on this an am pretty familiar with the situation. It sounds like Ford played the last card and the final decision from them has been given. I don't understand why they made that decision. I do not agree with it either.

As you could see from my last few posts, I am focused on the fix. What are the options. What would be best and not comprimise the car, and make TTB happy. The car is suppose to be a fun deal. To 99% of us it is NOT a transportation car. It is a long sought after, earned pleasure vehicle.

Time is something you can never get back. Something like this could go on for a year easily. Many will flame me and say this is a principle thing and that you should fight it to the end. I know you don't need that kind of stress. I am trying to put myself in your shoes and tell you for what it is worth, what I would do at this point in time.

It sounds like throwing money away to an attorney is not an option. I agree with that. I would focus on the fix, so I could get on with the pleasures in life. I understand that you do not want to do anything to the car for a while. How long is a while ? 1-3 months ? Set a time limit that you can live with, then focus on the fix.

:extinguish:

Ya know, I've been following this story closely. I've watched the new developments, shook my head in disbelief more times than I can count, and watched a ton of folks throw the bullshit flag. So, I decided to do a little investigating on my own, just to see whether not TTB is blowing smoke up all our asses.

Tonight, I went to the Greater Cleveland Auto Show. Normally, I don't bother simply because there isn't much to see, but hey, tonight it was DCX's treat, so I said what the hell.

I was *planning* on checking the paint quality on the Shelby GT500. However, that car, as well as the Shelby GT were roped off, and the closest I was able to get to them was approximately 4'. So, I ventured off to look for Mustangs I could actually breathe on.

I first checked out a Vista Blue GT Coupe. Folks looked at me as though I had three arms as I got down on the ground, stood on my tiptoes, and examined every square inch of this car. With myself checking one side and Jerry checking the other, we found the paint on this car to be top-notch.

Next up was a Black GT Coupe. Again, this car looked fantastic. The paint had such a high gloss that I could even see my eyeliner in the reflection. Pretty impressive.

So I look over and see this little red V6 convertible. I repeat red. So I'm asking myself "What are the chances". Then, I saw it:

2lc1pap.jpg

It took us about 3 minutes to find the issues. Driver's side rear quarter and trunk area had a CRAPLOAD of defects, ranging from heavy dirt in the paint to actual halo's and wet sand marks. I mean honestly, is this the crap they're putting out there?!?!?!?

2n07u4k.jpg

This is perhaps the WORST of the pics:

3zhfn9g.jpg

2ut26xi.jpg

And here's the poor little V6 vert, with a $28,000.00 sticker price, just waiting for some unsuspecting sap to sign on the dotted line:

2cfe5u9.jpg

So, if nothing else, this post will 1) validate TTB's story, and prove that he isn't a whack job with mad photoshop skillz and 2) provoke *all* Mustang owners to walk outside, and evaluate their own vehicles with a fine toothed comb. Quality like this is completely and totally unacceptable on a 1986 Chevette, much less a 2007 Shelby GT500.

This public service has been brought to you by the evilness

TTB ,

Thanks for clearing up the confusion . I have followed your troubles with great interest. I hope you can understand the confusion generated especially after you emphaticly stated the perfect condition of your 2nd red Shelby.

All I can say at this point is LOVE the car looked it over and over and over and found NO flaws!

Fit & Finish is nothing short of incredible.

Now that you have shared more of the story I can understand why you kept quiet all this time because you were giving FMCO the time to rectify the problems and didn't want to rock the boat.

The problem I've have with this whole thing is why did you state your glowing discription of the paint and fit and finish only to then come out later with a total opposite conclusion and description ?

Since most of us on this board were not privy to the behind the scenes goings on and all we knew about your 2nd car was this statement of yours .We ,or at least I, began to wonder and doubt about the validity of your findings and I have to say somewhat questioned your motives.

Now that more of the story is out in the open it has finally cleared up the confusion and doubts .

Unfortunately we the little guys are usually at the mercy of these large corporations . You are right in saying that FMCO has deep pockets and they know that you don't .

I believe one of the main reasons that the US auto makers are loosing out to the foreign car makers is their notoriously poor customer relations and service. Another is their willingness to allow poor quality to pass along down the assemby line and out the door only to be passed to their other week link (the dealer network ). We all know how poor the US car dealers represent the manufacturer and usually could care less about their customers especially compared to their foreign counterparts.

If FMCO wants to survive in this global economy they better learn to step up quality control and take care of the little guy because it is the little guy that buys the product year after year .

Perception and image of a company is what keeps bringing in the buyers year after year. If I were Ford I would be more concerned about the affects of these two key areas ,( quality control & customer service), on the future of FMCO than they aparently are. They should stop sweeping things under the rug and do a thorough house cleaning.

Finally I just want to say I wish you well in this matter , maybe Ford will reconsider and do the right thing here .

th_DSC03646.jpg

th_DSC03651.jpg

th_DSC03657.jpg

th_paint_scratches_roof_above_sticker.jpg

th_sanding_scratches_above_quarter_gla.jpg

th_sand_scratches_roof_pass_side.jpg

this is the first ive seen of this thread

it almost looks like that car was damaged in transit and fixed. im in the car business and i see this kind of crap all the time. i highly doubt that car left the factory like that.

and if someone else posted this already, sorry

i just wanted to give an objective answer before reading

TTB, after reading & seeing Evils report what did the engineer say when you showed him your other shelby car that didn't have any of these problems?

I say Hire a lawyer & use Evils report along with going out & collecting/visiting dealerships & inspecting all mustang paint jobs for defects & recording the vin numbers to be used in court if disputed. I'm sure we all could check our local dealers & report back with make, model, color & vin#'s to help your claim?

Don't give up or lose faith were behind you on this man!

TTB, after reading & seeing Evils report what did the engineer say when you showed him your other shelby car that didn't have any of these problems?

I say Hire a lawyer & use Evils report along with going out & collecting/visiting dealerships & inspecting all mustang paint jobs for defects & recording the vin numbers to be used in court if disputed. I'm sure we all could check our local dealers & report back with make, model, color & vin#'s to help your claim?

Don't give up or lose faith were behind you on this man!

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just say "I won't be buying that one". Put the ball in Fords court before your drive off the lot, even if you have to wait another day or so. Bottom line is don't get so exited about buying a Shelby that you take it off the lot without looking at it in good light, after the car is washed. There is absolutely no reason to take the car before it's washed and looked at closely in good light. I am not slamming TTB, he got caught up in the "new car". I have made this very same mistake before with an 06 GT Mustang, got so exited I forgot to look under the car, to make a long story short the car had damage to left and right frame rails and the whole thing became a nightmare.

I would not hire a lawyer because he or she is the only one that will come out ahead. Learn from your mistake, fix the car, and move on, life is too short to make problems like this more than a simple mistake. Just my opinion.

LESSON LEARNED HERE: Always go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb before handing over the check... (I have done that now for the past 17 years when an '89 GT was delivered to me with 21 small scratches on the rear spoiler ...prep shop had done it with a ruined buffing pad)...from then on I ALWAYS take it home first (no more dealer buffing)...simply have it washed...I bring it into the garage at (with lots of flourescent lights) and go over each panel very carefully, etc., with the help of a friend. THEN I go back and purchase it.

Hopefully you can get this mess corrected!!! Ford Motor Company owes you big time!

bj, Yeah I am a bit testy over this right now and a bit on the defensive side. No need to google bill fords home address as already have his phone number. I had not planned on saying anything but seems its to the point I have no choice so I will not seem like I am keeping something out. Because of legal issues I cannot say anything about my Shelbys except for my black one and current one.

Its all hindsight what I should have done. Is it really worth for me to spend more $$ in attorney fees than the price of car? As far as this car is concerned it did have the PDI done with dealer. Do I feel it was done properly? NO.

Have you ever tried to fight a company like Ford in a legal battle? They have a bit deeper pockets then I. Ford is already trying to put a hush to my posts regarding car and in some ways they already have. Maybe I would have been better off just posting the pics on the Z06 Forum.

Seeing as my wallet has been pretty much taken by ford thought I would just let people know what happened. Do I expect Ford now to backup and make change? no and legal recourse may be my only option. A very expensive one that I really have to stop and think would it be worth spending 100k more on a car I am already buried in. If I had it no doubt I would have done so but I do not.

OK....PM me and I'll tell you what I did to Pontiac in 1979. I will tell you that it took 1/10th of the effort and heartache you're dealing with and I got:

A new car

Reimbursement for loaner cars

A written apology for the dealership being pricks and one from PMD for their failure to provide the dealership with a serviceable vehicle.

-----It's a 3 pronged attack. Rpretzel said something about Tom Martino. I know Tom from having lived in CO for a lotta years and while he can't help you....I can tell you who can.

bj

Picket the Dealership. I used to have a friend who did that with three lemons that he purchased over the course of about 12 years. He got rapid and amazing results everytime he did. The Aholes at one of the dealers thought that they could have him arrested, but as long as you remain on the public sidewalk and keep moving as to not loiter, they can't touch you.

Oh, a bullhorn helps too. Trust me, you won't need hire another lawyer to resolve this one. It's a very effective tatic.

Picket the Dealership. I used to have a friend who did that with three lemons that he purchased over the course of about 12 years. He got rapid and amazing results everytime he did. The Aholes at one of the dealers thought that they could have him arrested, but as long as you remain on the public sidewalk and keep moving as to not loiter, they can't touch you.

Oh, a bullhorn helps too. Trust me, you won't need hire another lawyer to resolve this one. It's a very effective tatic.

Before going that route, check with the local police department for the local laws concerning picketing. Not all municipalities have the same rules/laws, but they allow picketing to some degree.

Great report Evil. I have one question is it me or is it only the torch red cars that are having paint issues. When reading what Evil said about the Black & vista Blue car which were top notch .Anyone out there with a paint issue on a Shelby which is not red ?????????? I have a Vista Blue & I have checked it twice now after read this post & I would say my door gap & panel fit are very good & the paint is great .

2lc1pap.jpg

This public service has been brought to you by the evilness

:wub: (sigh...) - you even wear an Edelbrock jacket?!?!? I've said it before... your hubby's one lucky guy!!

Great report.

Hope school's going well!

Archived