TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Applink?

Madlock

I was somewhat surprised to notice my 2011 Taurus SHO's electronics suite included "Applications" within SYNC - on the same Phone menu as 911 Assist and VHR (which are also added-on applications that run within SYNC). At present, it's basically meant to extend the SYNC feature set by by transparently placing a voice call over Bluetooth to a service provider with a speech recognition capability to deliver added features like route-specific traffic, news and information, stock quotes, horoscopes and so forth.

Although it doesn't offer anything earth-shaking in terms of making your life better or anybody's teeth whiter, I was surprised to not find this feature part of my 2011 GT500's Electronics Package. I realize software versions can be hardware dependent and even hardware that's meant to be transparent across multiple models can vary - and which model receives each version each year may be more dependent upon product cadence than build date, but I then discovered my GT500's SYNC version to be 3.1, while my Taurus's SYNC version was 3.2 - despite the Taurus being assembled a month before the GT500. Go figure.

Now, I read Ford is taking the first tentative steps toward expanding the core SYNC feature set by offering "Applink" which gives control to a handful of Smartphone Applications through the vehicle touch screen. At present, it supports only 2 or 3 applications like Pandora and Stitcher, but I suspect it won't be long before iPhone and Android App developers begin building-in SYNC Applink support from their side.

(This is entirely separate and distinct from whether or not the current iPhone and SYNC software can even manage to stay paired - it seems Apple and Microsoft aren't exactly rushing to provide stable mutual compatibility, but that's another, different nightmare unto itself.)

Ford's press release for Applink is here. It was apparently included as a software update to Fiesta owners and is slated for inclusion for in-line production on 2012 Mustang. I realize the syncmyride.com web site is meant to be the front-line source for all official SYNC-related info, but it's hardly forthcoming - and asking a question is no guarantee of ever receiving an answer.

Does anybody have any insight into whether Applink will be made compatible with SYNC 3.1, or whether 2011 GT500's Navigation will be updated to make it compatible 3.2 and other version-dependent updates? Thanks.

I was somewhat surprised to notice my 2011 Taurus SHO's electronics suite included "Applications" within SYNC - on the same Phone menu as 911 Assist and VHR (which are also added-on applications that run within SYNC). At present, it's basically meant to extend the SYNC feature set by by transparently placing a voice call over Bluetooth to a service provider with a speech recognition capability to deliver added features like route-specific traffic, news and information, stock quotes, horoscopes and so forth.

Although it doesn't offer anything earth-shaking in terms of making your life better or anybody's teeth whiter, I was surprised to not find this feature part of my 2011 GT500's Electronics Package. I realize software versions can be hardware dependent and even hardware that's meant to be transparent across multiple models can vary - and which model receives each version each year may be more dependent upon product cadence than build date, but I then discovered my GT500's SYNC version to be 3.1, while my Taurus's SYNC version was 3.2 - despite the Taurus being assembled a month before the GT500. Go figure.

Now, I read Ford is taking the first tentative steps toward expanding the core SYNC feature set by offering "Applink" which gives control to a handful of Smartphone Applications through the vehicle touch screen. At present, it supports only 2 or 3 applications like Pandora and Stitcher, but I suspect it won't be long before iPhone and Android App developers begin building-in SYNC Applink support from their side.

(This is entirely separate and distinct from whether or not the current iPhone and SYNC software can even manage to stay paired - it seems Apple and Microsoft aren't exactly rushing to provide stable mutual compatibility, but that's another, different nightmare unto itself.)

Ford's press release for Applink is here. It was apparently included as a software update to Fiesta owners and is slated for inclusion for in-line production on 2012 Mustang. I realize the syncmyride.com web site is meant to be the front-line source for all official SYNC-related info, but it's hardly forthcoming - and asking a question is no guarantee of ever receiving an answer.

Does anybody have any insight into whether Applink will be made compatible with SYNC 3.1, or whether 2011 GT500's Navigation will be updated to make it compatible 3.2 and other version-dependent updates? Thanks.

I'm assuming it can be downloaded:

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqManagement/FaqDetail.aspx?faqId=137

Can I update or enhance SYNC?

SYNC was designed to be updateable and customizable.

View Update and Customize SYNC or How to update and customize SYNC.

As new versions of software for SYNC are rolled out, you’ll be able to download updates from either the website or your Ford Lincoln, or Mercury dealer.

I'm assuming it can be downloaded:

http://www.syncmyrid....aspx?faqId=137

Can I update or enhance SYNC?

SYNC was designed to be updateable and customizable.

View Update and Customize SYNC or How to update and customize SYNC.

As new versions of software for SYNC are rolled out, you'll be able to download updates from either the website or your Ford Lincoln, or Mercury dealer.

Thanks. I know. I keep current the SYNC release for each vehicle. At present, 2011 GT500 (or at least my particular VIN) is 3.1. It doesn't (yet) support Applink. Just wondering if there's any insight as to if/when it will.

I attended CES and made a point of stopping by the Ford booth to ask specifically about 2011 GT500 and the new SYNC sw. They confirmed it was slated for the Fiesta and 2012 Mustang, then added that it will be available for all 2012 SYNC models. I asked about existing 2011 cars and he was a bit vague but after a few more questions confirmed there is no hardware difference between 2011 and 2012 SYNC in the Mustang.

I came away from the discussion confident that once the shine wears off their fixation on new halo cars it will work on 2011 GT500's- or at least it can be made to happen.

-Wingrider

Archived