TEAM SHELBY FORUM

changing spark plugs advice

So how many of you have changed your spark plugs on your Shelby Gt? I need to put my new plugs in for the supercharger application, I have a current copy of the TSB. Plan on loosening the plug a bit then spray some PB Blaster and let it sit for a while then turn the plug back and forth to loosen the deposites. Sound right??? Also do you only coat the plug sleeve with anti seeze and not the threads? thanks guys

So how many of you have changed your spark plugs on your Shelby Gt? I need to put my new plugs in for the supercharger application, I have a current copy of the TSB. Plan on loosening the plug a bit then spray some PB Blaster and let it sit for a while then turn the plug back and forth to loosen the deposites. Sound right??? Also do you only coat the plug sleeve with anti seeze and not the threads? thanks guys

You got me on that but I think deliverying a baby would be easier !!! Its like playing russian roulette Good luck

Funny! you got that right.

You got me on that but I think deliverying a baby would be easier !!! Its like playing russian roulette Good luck

Verify that your 2008 has the early plugs... I thought the TSB was for 2005-2007's with the 2 piece peanut plugs.

I did the plug change a few years back in the wife's 2006 Roush but I'm pretty sure my 2008 SGT has the newer heads thay use the one piece plugs. There are lots of post on other forum's about this issue. You can tell which heads/plugs by the color of the coil boot- black or brown I believe.

GL

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Verify that your 2008 has the early plugs... I thought the TSB was for 2005-2007's with the 2 piece peanut plugs.

I did the plug change a few years back in the wife's 2006 Roush but I'm pretty sure my 2008 SGT has the newer heads thay use the one piece plugs. There are lots of post on other forum's about this issue. You can tell which heads/plugs by the color of the coil boot- black or brown I believe.

GL

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Spot on ! !

Just check the COP's, if they are black and start with the numbers 3L3E they are the earlier two piece plugs

if the COP's are Brown and start with 8L3E they are the new one piece plugs

I put anti-seize on my threads

Good Luck

Andrew

Thanks guys, looks like I have the two piece plugs. John at Brenspeed said they change a bunch of them and do not have issues. I only have 19k on the car. I'll just follow the TSB and see what happens.

Spot on ! !

Just check the COP's, if they are black and start with the numbers 3L3E they are the earlier two piece plugs

if the COP's are Brown and start with 8L3E they are the new one piece plugs

I put anti-seize on my threads

Good Luck

Andrew

GL

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Ok how do I tell if my 07 shelby gt has a one piece spark plug or 2 piece. ?????

Check your coil paks, see andrews reply above. Even my 08 has the two piece, kinda surprized me.

Ok how do I tell if my 07 shelby gt has a one piece spark plug or 2 piece. ?????

I know the TSB says to loosen, then spray carb cleaner down in the hole but that doesn't make sense to me. I always dump the fluid down in there first, then loosen.

That is what I did ( but used Kano - Aerokroil Penetrating Oil ) and only turned it a little bit and waited a few more minutes and they came out easy peezey

Just take your time

Andrew

That is what I did ( but used Kano - Aerokroil Penetrating Oil ) and only turned it a little bit and waited a few more minutes and they came out easy peezey

Just take your time

Andrew

Aerokroil is good stuff. I've used that and also the Motorcraft Carb cleaner. And yeah thanks, I meant to say soak, loosen 1/4 turn, soak, remove. I've never had any issues.

On that note in regards to spark plugs, what is the recommended replacement. Mine is 07 SGT not modded at all.

Thanks

Rich

This is personal opinion much like an oil thread, but I've always ran Autolite plugs in all my motors. This is what Ford puts in all the 4.6 modulars and much like oil, I'll stick with their recommendation. I've also run the Autolite HT0's with nitrous for 20K miles with not one blip.

Brenspeed sent me Brisk racing plugs to go along with the Paxton setup. Got four of them installed so far with no problems. The other four will be done in the morning along with the delete plates under the intake. soaked them with PB blaster for an hour then backed them out a little and let it soak in some more. After that I was able to unscrew them by hand using the socket and extension. Breath a big sigh of relief!

This is personal opinion much like an oil thread, but I've always ran Autolite plugs in all my motors. This is what Ford puts in all the 4.6 modulars and much like oil, I'll stick with their recommendation. I've also run the Autolite HT0's with nitrous for 20K miles with not one blip.

Well, I got the plugs changed, injectors switched out. Manifold bolts loosened. Just waiting on the Paxton kit. Patience, patience............

Brenspeed sent me Brisk racing plugs to go along with the Paxton setup. Got four of them installed so far with no problems. The other four will be done in the morning along with the delete plates under the intake. soaked them with PB blaster for an hour then backed them out a little and let it soak in some more. After that I was able to unscrew them by hand using the socket and extension. Breath a big sigh of relief!

Well, I got the plugs changed, injectors switched out. Manifold bolts loosened. Just waiting on the Paxton kit. Patience, patience............

Nice thread!

You are going to love your Shelby GT/SC!!!!!

can someone please post the TSB for changing the plugs out and maybe put a copy in the TSB sticky ?

I assume that since I have an 07 and the COP boots are black I have the two piece design and that it would be best to get them swapped out with one piece plugs before I have any problems.

Thanks, Don

can someone please post the TSB for changing the plugs out and maybe put a copy in the TSB sticky ?

I assume that since I have an 07 and the COP boots are black I have the two piece design and that it would be best to get them swapped out with one piece plugs before I have any problems.

Thanks, Don

Spark Plug TSB 08-7-6 link

And yes if you have the black COP's that start out 3L3E on them you have the 2 piece design

web.jpg

Spray some penetrating oil, 1/4 turn, wait spray some more, turn a little wait do not force it and you should be fine, I actually used a torque wrench to remove them so I would not force them and brake them.

Good Luck

Andrew

Spark Plug Removal TSB 0807-6.pdf

Spark Plug Removal TSB 0807-6.pdf

Please advise why this TSB is out - IE: Spark plugs need to be changed because of potentional problems? Or, what will indicate the need to change out?

Thanks, Doc :salute:

The 2-piece plugs if left in the eventually may be extremely hard to remove and have the potential to come apart when removing them. The sooner they are removed the less likely the separate when removed.

From TSB

Some 2005-2008 Mustangs with 4.6L 3-V engine; may experience difficulty with spark plug removal. This may cause damage to the spark plug and leave part of the spark plug in the cylinder head. Affected engine build dates are as follows: 5.4L 3-V and 6.8L 3-V before 10/9/07, 4.6L 3-V before 11/30/07.

allplugs.jpg

picture from s197 forum member Boozshey

Andrew

Spark Plug TSB 08-7-6 link

And yes if you have the black COP's that start out 3L3E on them you have the 2 piece design

web.jpg

Spray some penetrating oil, 1/4 turn, wait spray some more, turn a little wait do not force it and you should be fine, I actually used a torque wrench to remove them so I would not force them and brake them.

Good Luck

Andrew

Darn it- I hadn't really looked that hard but after you posted the photo of the COP I just had to go in the garage and take a look. But with only 6,400 miles on the OEM 2 piece units they shouldn't be a problem for a while.

I few years back I used the TSB procedure on the wife's Roush at 15k without issue.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

• 2 weeks later...

I removed all the plugs with no problems at 19k. Sprayed PB Blaster down the tunnel, not too much and let it sit for 30 minutes. Cracked them all a quearter turn and waited another 30 minutes. Then removed them by hand using the socket and extension.

Darn it- I hadn't really looked that hard but after you posted the photo of the COP I just had to go in the garage and take a look. But with only 6,400 miles on the OEM 2 piece units they shouldn't be a problem for a while.

I few years back I used the TSB procedure on the wife's Roush at 15k without issue.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

• 3 weeks later...

CRAP! Looks like I have the 2 piece plugs in my 2008 SGT! Warranty expires on 2/28/2011, so I guess I had better get it in and get this done ASAP! Hopefully they'll do it under the warranty since there is a TSB out on it...I've printed this out and I'll take it in with me...Stripes and new scoop should be here this week too....

A friend of mine has an F150 with a Triton engine. He had to have the cylinder head removed because the plug stripped out of the cylinder head. An attempt to helicoliing the head while on the truck failed....

Is this the same issue we are facing here?

Once new plugs are installed problem fixed or will this be an ongoing issue?

My 2007 Shelby GT ( 862) has less than 300 miles, should I change plugs now? How hard is this task for the novice?

Thanks

Is there a special tool needed to change the plugs or just the normal spark plug socket ratchet and extension?

A friend of mine has an F150 with a Triton engine. He had to have the cylinder head removed because the plug stripped out of the cylinder head. An attempt to helicoliing the head while on the truck failed....

Is this the same issue we are facing here?

Once new plugs are installed problem fixed or will this be an ongoing issue?

My 2007 Shelby GT ( 862) has less than 300 miles, should I change plugs now? How hard is this task for the novice?

Thanks

Is there a special tool needed to change the plugs or just the normal spark plug socket ratchet and extension?

Just take them out and put some anti-seize on the shaft then put them back in. Then you can forget about it until it's time to change them.

• 5 years later...

I was reading this thread and checked my coil packs to confirm what I have. My coil packs are 8L3E and are black. According to info in this thread, 8L3E coil packs are suppose to brown. Is there incorrect info posted in this thread? My car is a 2008 SGT and the build date is 09/2007 on the door sticker.

EDIT: ............After doing some additional research, I believe all the coil packs are black, except for the lower boot of the coil pack. My lower boot, which appears to be rubber, is a medium to dark brown color. I believe one of the previous comments which stated the 8L3E coil packs should be brown was meant to read .... the lower boot at the bottom of the coil pack should be brown. (Photos I found on the internet show the upper portion of both the 8L3E and 3L3E are black, to include the top of the coil pack where the part number is located.) Looks like I'm good-to-go with the later style spark plugs!!!

Archived