TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trailers

I have a 2010 GT500 right now that is being Super Snaked. I wanted to see if any of you have purchased a enclosed trailer to haul your Snake around in. I am looking for any suggestions of what I should be looking at. Something that has enough clearance on the side and also the bottom. Any help would be great..... Thank you

I have a 2010 GT500 right now that is being Super Snaked. I wanted to see if any of you have purchased a enclosed trailer to haul your Snake around in. I am looking for any suggestions of what I should be looking at. Something that has enough clearance on the side and also the bottom. Any help would be great..... Thank you

Welcome to the family....Congrats on getting your GT 500 SSed you will not regret it...As for the trailer sorry I cannot help but someone here will chime in with great info.....Alot of knowledgeable guys and girls on the forum...enjoy....and post pic when you get the SS....

Alexandros

SAI Registrar GT 500

Congrats on the SS; you're gonna be amazed at the power!

Featherlite has open and closed car haulers, and I whole heartedly recommend that brand.

I have an "open" Featherlite 3110 model (see pic) with a huge air dam / spoiler up front (see pic) with two 3500 lb tandem axles for a max total capacity (including the trailer weight) of 7000 lbs. The trailer weighs about 1500 lbs, so you can carry a 5500 lb car. I've had the trailer four years and it still looks like new, and people always comment on how nice it looks. You don't have to worry about rust per say, and the aluminum always shines like new. I wash it after every trip however, to keep it looking nice. The light weight all aluminum ramps store neatly under the rear of the trailer. This trailer is a "one person" operation; I can push the trailer with minimum force which is a huge plus when hooking / unhooking and general moving around. Plus my sweetheart when helping me was amazed at how light it was so she actually looked forward to helping; a big plus there too!

Yes, it will cost more, about 15-20% more than a heavy steel trailer, but definitely worth the extra bread you're forking over IMO. You can customize with all kinds of gadgets. See link below.

http://www.fthr.com/car-trailer/

Here's a used 3110 for sale. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/other-vehicles-buy-sell-268/605240-featherlite-aluminum-3110-open-car-trailer.html

More pics here of a 2011 3110 open car hauler: http://goldengait.com/inventory/details.php?stockNo=5474

post-20207-0-20787300-1294595608_thumb.jpg

post-20207-0-20787300-1294595608_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the SS; you're gonna be amazed at the power!

Featherlite has open and closed car haulers, and I whole heartedly recommend that brand.

I have an "open" Featherlite 3110 model (see pic) with a huge air dam / spoiler up front (see pic) with two 3500 lb tandem axles for a max total capacity (including the trailer weight) of 7000 lbs. The trailer weighs about 1500 lbs, so you can carry a 5500 lb car. I've had the trailer four years and it still looks like new, and people always comment on how nice it looks. You don't have to worry about rust per say, and the aluminum always shines like new. I wash it after every trip however, to keep it looking nice. The light weight all aluminum ramps store neatly under the rear of the trailer. This trailer is a "one person" operation; I can push the trailer with minimum force which is a huge plus when hooking / unhooking and general moving around. Plus my sweetheart when helping me was amazed at how light it was so she actually looked forward to helping; a big plus there too!

Yes, it will cost more, about 15-20% more than a heavy steel trailer, but definitely worth the extra bread you're forking over IMO. You can customize with all kinds of gadgets. See link below.

http://www.fthr.com/car-trailer/

Here's a used 3110 for sale. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/other-vehicles-buy-sell-268/605240-featherlite-aluminum-3110-open-car-trailer.html

More pics here of a 2011 3110 open car hauler: http://goldengait.com/inventory/details.php?stockNo=5474

+1 on the Featherlite. I have the 3110 too which I bought last year. Towed car to ShelbyFest and Mid America w/ no problems. Didn't even know it was back there! Only problem is that I do wish I had waited and bought the enclosed vs open. Car/trailer draws too much attention in motel parking lots, etc. plus I like the idea of storage, storage and more storage. Did notice in the classifieds there is an ad for what appears to be rather new Featherlite enclosed trailers. One thing is for sure, regardless of open or enclosed, you won't be disappointed w/ Feahterlite. Craig

Not sure what you will be towing the trailer with, but I purchased a 2009 Haulmark Edge 32' Triax enclosed trailer with special race ramps for low clearance. The trailer has 6000 pound axles and an extended tongue so I can also tow behind my motorhome. It towes the GT500 excellent. I have a nice tie down setup too where it just straps directly over each tire, and zero potential to have the straps get into the splitter or any body parts. I absolutely am leased with this trailer.

post-19899-0-00357800-1294677683_thumb.jpg

post-19899-0-22925900-1294677712_thumb.jpg

post-19899-0-65548400-1294677724_thumb.jpg

post-19899-0-00357800-1294677683_thumb.jpg

post-19899-0-22925900-1294677712_thumb.jpg

post-19899-0-65548400-1294677724_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure what you will be towing the trailer with, but I purchased a 2009 Haulmark Edge 32' Triax enclosed trailer with special race ramps for low clearance. The trailer has 6000 pound axles and an extended tongue so I can also tow behind my motorhome. It towes the GT500 excellent. I have a nice tie down setup too where it just straps directly over each tire, and zero potential to have the straps get into the splitter or any body parts. I absolutely am leased with this trailer.

Can you provide more detail and possibly pics on your tie down setup. I have an enclosed featherlite that I hauled ATV's in and now will start to use it to trailer my SS to track events. I am very worred about the front splitter in the traditional tie down setup.

Thnx

BJ

Check with Bob "Slabo" he has a great enclosed trailer setup

Here is his trailer thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/49012-enclosed-trailer/page__hl__%2Benclosed+%2Btrailer

I would recommend an enclosed trailer. I would have trashed the car with some of the weather I have seen. Here are some recent pics from the Bash of the trailer since I have finished painting the inside. You can see that I have to use race ramps to prevent the splitter from hitting while loading. They work great. I did have to remove the existing flip back ramp piece and adjust the door springs to use the ramps. I can't remember if I mentioned it in my prior thread but it turned out that my door does clear the wheel well so I could have bought the optional side door. I would recommend the side door to make it easier to get in and out. Not a big deal with the vert but I do have to leave the drivers window down while trailering so I can get the key in/out of the ignition.

P1010885.jpg

P1010883.jpg

P1010888.jpg

P1010891.jpg

P1010892.jpg

P1010895.jpg

P1010902.jpg

• 2 years later...

Looking at the Featherlite 3110 open trailer with the front wind shield. Wondering if the 17 footer is long enough or if I need to go with a 20 footer?

My Hodges car hauler is 19.5' long and it's WAYYYYY overkill.

Pic attached (after getting caught in the wind/dust/dirt/gravel/hail/rain storm at PMP).

Edit: After looking at the pics, it's not so long as I thought! You probably want to go with the 20.

Phill

post-26522-0-27737600-1378143167_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-32789400-1378143180_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-09386100-1378143190_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-27737600-1378143167_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-32789400-1378143180_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-09386100-1378143190_thumb.jpg

Looking at the Featherlite 3110 open trailer with the front wind shield. Wondering if the 17 footer is long enough or if I need to go with a 20 footer?

17' may be enough but I would strongly encourage you to look at an enclosed trailer as tow vehicle induced rock chips are just one of the hazards of towing.

An enclosed trailer helps prevent dust, sun, rain, hail and bird dropping issues in addition to rock chips and prying eyes.

I'm looking hard at the Trailex "sports car" trailer. It's lightweiaght and can be pulled (as advertised) by an SUV.

It's essentially an all aluminum open trailer with a "V-nose" rivet-less aluminum enclosure and VERY well done. You can usually get an additional $1000 off if you buy during a car show that they are showing at.

And NO I don't work for the company, lol.

If you can swing it get enclosed. And depending on what your tow vehicle is I would also recommend getting a goose neck. Goose neck's pull like a dream and there is better weight distribution on the truck since you are putting weight on both the rear and front axle of the truck vs dragging all the weight off the hitch and putting all of the weight several feet behind the back axle of the truck. Your tow vehicle will handle much better with better weight distribution. While there are plenty of great pulling 'bumper' trailers out there, once you've pulled a goose neck trailer you'll never want to go back to a hitch trailer again.

That is a beautiful trailer but a lot of pork bellies. I like the low profile version and the side door is a great feature.

Yep, "lotso-bellies" for sure but my thought process is that having your car exposed to the "elements" can cost bellies too in addition to mental anquish worrying about your car.

How much is the Featherlight open trailer you were speaking of?

With the front wind guard I think it is around 7500. I don't plan on towing the car across country, it would be more like the hour trip up to Boulder or down to Pueblo. It would be nice to have it enclosed so you could put other things in there like tires, jack etc without fear of them walking away when you stop at McDonalds.

With the front wind guard I think it is around 7500. I don't plan on towing the car across country, it would be more like the hour trip up to Boulder or down to Pueblo. It would be nice to have it enclosed so you could put other things in there like tires, jack etc without fear of them walking away when you stop at McDonalds.

$9000 more (with the $1000 discount) is actually a small price to pay for the comfort of knowing your baby is safe and it's a one time purchase that will last.

Believe me, I've been there or I should say I AM there as I haven't pulled the trigger yet but it's on my short list (actually the list is very long but this is at the top).

When I go to events, I like knowing that my car is secure when I'm not near.

Pretty much any enclosed trailer will do this for you, In doing my research I found this one to fit the bill better than most.

Don't let your wife see this thread as wives don't like troublemakers like me, lol.

1. You want an escape door.

2. You want ramps built inside the trailer to drive the car onto so you can use the escape door. Climbing out the car through the window, putting your feet on the seats just sucks. Much easier to open the door and get out normally.

3. You want to install a winch for those times the car dies, you wad it up or break it (or someone else does and you are towing their car while they are driving yours). You also want the battery for the winch by the winch for jump starting if needed. Install a solar trickle charger on your roof too to keep the battery charged when the trailer isn't being used.

Everything else all depending on taste. I stack my tires under the car on the floor between the ramps. No need for a tire rack mounted to the wall. If you are going to track your car, you'll soon learn the advantage of A/C. I went for living quarters on this trailer. Installed a memory foam mattress in it, Bluray player and made it mine.

524818_4684670159642_167147218_n.jpg

My Raptor fits in my trailer. Barely.

528279_4684661119416_62937896_n.jpg

534146_4746311940648_1660778802_n.jpg

Full Rig. 46' of trailer goodness with 24' of garage space. The rest is living quarters. Truck has a 96 gallon aux fuel tank in the bed that feeds into the stock fuel tank. 136 gallons of fuel. Only have to stop every 1000 miles for fuel.

398312_3735740757000_21424757_n.jpg

One more thing. Get 16" wheels so you can run the heavier duty tires that they do not make in a 15". In 20k miles, I have had 2 blow outs with the 16". With 15" wheels, every 1000-2000 miles was the average.

One more thing. Get 16" wheels so you can run the heavier duty tires that they do not make in a 15". In 20k miles, I have had 2 blow outs with the 16". With 15" wheels, every 1000-2000 miles was the average.

really?? Wow!! just passed 20K on 15" tires without a single issue. Not a thing. Rig is 53 feet total length ( 30 ft trailer) trailer weight is just under 10K. A blow out every 1-2K miles would mean I'd have to change tires 2-3 times every single trip. YIKES!

Yep, and get your 16'a in Load Range E, not D.

I have 16" tires on my dually but the seller cheeped out and put junk tires on it. I had a blow-out on the way back to CO from CA when the outside rear separated and blew (with the wife's Flex on the back). Then on a recent trip to TX I had both of the left rear tires separate but not blow. They both have bulges in them and won't let me go over 60mph before the vibration got so bad it felt like it was going to shake the car off of the back.

I'll match the "E" range tire I had put on with 3 more E range tires to replace all of the D's on the back and be done with blow-outs.

The one that did blow out took my inner fender and curled it up into the inner tire but I used the winch cable to pull it down/out.

Tire failures can really ruin a trip....

Phill

Here are a couple pics of my 20' United slopenose. I bought it at Trailer World in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Cost was either $8,000 or 8500, can't remember.. delivered to my door. Could have saved $500 picking it up myself in Northern Indiana. I ordered the $300 escape door which is only 9" above floor so most anything except maybe something exotic you should be able to open the door and get out as opposed to climbing out the window. I bought mine to haul my old Boss and Cobra Jet cars but the new Shelby should fit too. I have no plans to race anything so 20' was plenty just for a car, cooler, lawn chairs,etc.

trailer018.jpg

trailer015.jpg

trailer011.jpg

Archived