TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery Dies in 10 days or less

Hey SGT owners, my car sat (its and 07 with 11k) for a week while i was getting the addition on my garage built. I wouldnt start, so I recharged it and then figured time to change the battery. The brand new Motorcraft isnt much better. Is everyone having the same issue. I guess i am going to have to get a baterry tender.

Thanks...jason

Hey SGT owners, my car sat (its and 07 with 11k) for a week while i was getting the addition on my garage built. I wouldnt start, so I recharged it and then figured time to change the battery. The brand new Motorcraft isnt much better. Is everyone having the same issue. I guess i am going to have to get a baterry tender.

Thanks...jason

Well you certainly have something that is always "on" and draining your battery. If you can find a clamp on ammeter, then you can do some troubleshooting by pulling fuses etc until the current draw drops off. Then you will solve your battery drain problem. My car sits for weeks at a time, then I go out to start it and fires up just fine.

Rich

I believe this is a known problem for late model Mustangs. I know I and a friend have the same trouble with our Shelbys. I drive mine everyday, so no problems. Once I left it for 2 weeks and battery was dead. Put a trickle charger on it and it is fine. So, if your not going to crank it often, I would use a trickle charger. I use it on my other classic cars during the winter - works great and I never have starting problems. I think they are $30 at Walmart. Casey

Well you certainly have something that is always "on" and draining your battery. If you can find a clamp on ammeter, then you can do some troubleshooting by pulling fuses etc until the current draw drops off. Then you will solve your battery drain problem. My car sits for weeks at a time, then I go out to start it and fires up just fine.

Rich

+1 Something is draining your battery. There is no way it should die that quickly.

+1 Something is draining your battery. There is no way it should die that quickly.

Mine sits for a month , and cranked right over. No battery tender here. Same 3 year old battery as installed at the assembly line. I 'd also check for a current drain.

Yea, I have the same problem with the batt going dead or getting very weak after sitting a while without starting.

Once that batt is fully charged, it fires right up. This seems to happen only in the winter months, not in the summer.

It seems to me there is no electrical problem or closed circuit causing the drain, but just items that are constantly

"on" even though the car is shut off.

Get a battery tender and problem solved.

IS

Thanks...jason

Do you have "any" aftermarket add-ons installed........ amps, gps, etc. Youre only allowed a 30 milliamp draw max. with the key off. Between the PCM, radio, and other modules

that have memories that need to stay powered, youre already at 15-20ma stock. It doesnt leave alot of room for extra draw. Make sure you turn off the radio before shutting down

the engine, ive noticed that there appears to be some sort of cooling fan that stays running after key off, maybe its not timing out. My SGT is over 3 years old and can sit for well over

3 weeks with no problem. Youll have to check for a draw , remember, 30ma max., if its more, youll have to hunt down the culprit. Good luck

Make sure you shut the radio off before turning to the car off. I had the same problem and I was turning my 06 GT off but leaving my radio/cd on. Once I started shutting the radio off before turning the car off the problem went away, but by then I needed a new battery. If you do a google search you will find info about the radio draining the battery even though the car is off.

It seems to be a problem with the S197 cars and I know of about a dozen people that have the same issue including myself.

My 1996 or the 2010 can sit forever without any issue at all but the 2006 can't sit for more than a couple of weeks and it's completely dead.

This is the second battery in this car and it has 20k on it and my 1996 has 100k and has been stored every winter since new and still has the original battery.

My '07 can easily go for a few weeks without any issues, so there is definitely a draw in your car somewhere.

I accidentally went a few months without driving the SGT and killed the battery - wouldn't take a charge at all.

I bought a new battery, and just installed a Battery Tender Jr. - $25 on eBay.

Problem solved!

The battery in my '08 car (the least-used one) failed to last a week one time; I started hooking it to a 'minder that is reputed to go into "de-sulphate" mode after several days of maintaining the charge. I don't know if I can believe the d-sulphating claim, but now the same battery lasts as much as four weeks and still cranks easily. The '09 car just sat for twenty days with no problem.

I almost never turn the radio on in either, so I have no contribution as to whether turning it off before shutting down the ignition is a factor.

Archived