TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How to disable the traction control

shane42

Trying to figure out how to disable the traction control

shane42,

There are 3 buttons on the console near the shifter. The one closest to the radio disables or modifies the TC feature. Push it after you've started the motor. One setting turns the TC completely off and the second gives you a "sport" setting with some TC. Be CAREFUL when you first do this.............

BTW... Welcome to Team Shelby!

Press the button on the dash? That's how I do it...

But seriously... I assume that what you want to do is have TCS default to off. This topic has come up before, and I could be wrong, but there is not a way to do this. You have to do it manually every time you start the car.

Earl

I guess what I mean is can I disable it completely, every time I go somewhere in the car I have to press the button to disable the traction control

You can disable it with an aftermarket tune, but the TC icon in the instrument cluster will remain illuminated everytime you start your car. That's really no big deal, but I thought that you might want to know about it. The other thing is that once it's disabled, you won't be able to turn it on again unless you go back in with the tune and reverse the setting.

:headscratch:

Curt A,

Here you go from Autoblog: http://www.autoblog....-wed-never-buy/

The GT500's favorite type of road, however, is the one that is very straight, very long and very deserted. These can't be found in abundance near downtown Los Angeles, but we endured a bumpy freeway drive to get out of the city proper, and after all, we needed to test out the new three-stage traction control system. Extensively.

With the traction control fully disabled, which requires holding the TC button for a full eight seconds, the GT500 turns into the world's best burnout machine. Rev the supercharged V8 to practically any RPM, drop the clutch and in a matter of seconds the rear tires will be engulfed in massive clouds of scorched rubber while the engine bangs off redline. Shift to second and the mayhem continues. Only in third gear does the GT500 finally start to gain traction at full throttle, and at that point you'll have already breached the limit of legal speeds. If smoky burnouts are your thing, then feel free to leave the traction control off, but if you're trying to actually go somewhere in a hurry then dial the TC to Sport mode. It allows a small amount of wheel spin before cutting power, and although it still requires a delicate foot to work the throttle, provides a longer leash for tire spin than with the traction control fully on. Once hooked up the GT500 isn't necessarily the fastest car we've driven, but thanks to an insanely flat torque curve it can pull hard from just about any rpm.

lead17shelbygt500review2010.jpg

But as much as we like the 2010 GT500, it's not a car we would buy. That's not to say we aren't smitten – we're just as in love as we were when we left Infineon Raceway – but we just can't recommend it. It's not the price tag ($46,325 MSRP, $50,895 as-tested), which is an incredible bargain. Nor is it the solid rear axle (negated by Ford's impressive suspension tuning). It's certainly not the interior, or the exterior for that matter.

You see, as good as the 2010 GT500 is, there's something better coming. Just like we would have never bought a 2010 Mustang GT in anticipation of the legendary 5.0-liter V8 arriving in the 2011 model, we would keep our wallet tucked away until the 2011 Shelby GT500 hits showroom floors. With its aluminum block V8 filling the space between the front fenders, the 2011 GT500 should be even better. That's what taking 105 pounds off the front end of a car will do. So be patient, and wait for the 2011 GT500. That's what we're doing.

Press the button on the dash? That's how I do it...

But seriously... I assume that what you want to do is have TCS default to off. This topic has come up before, and I could be wrong, but there is not a way to do this. You have to do it manually every time you start the car.

Earl

Custom tuner can disable it, but it can be real tricky and cause problems. Probably not worth it imo, but it's the first thing on my list (seat belt another...) to turn off unless it's wet or freezing.

Curt A,

Here you go from Autoblog: http://www.autoblog....-wed-never-buy/

The GT500's favorite type of road, however, is the one that is very straight, very long and very deserted. These can't be found in abundance near downtown Los Angeles, but we endured a bumpy freeway drive to get out of the city proper, and after all, we needed to test out the new three-stage traction control system. Extensively.

With the traction control fully disabled, which requires holding the TC button for a full eight seconds, the GT500 turns into the world's best burnout machine. Rev the supercharged V8 to practically any RPM, drop the clutch and in a matter of seconds the rear tires will be engulfed in massive clouds of scorched rubber while the engine bangs off redline. Shift to second and the mayhem continues. Only in third gear does the GT500 finally start to gain traction at full throttle, and at that point you'll have already breached the limit of legal speeds. If smoky burnouts are your thing, then feel free to leave the traction control off, but if you're trying to actually go somewhere in a hurry then dial the TC to Sport mode. It allows a small amount of wheel spin before cutting power, and although it still requires a delicate foot to work the throttle, provides a longer leash for tire spin than with the traction control fully on. Once hooked up the GT500 isn't necessarily the fastest car we've driven, but thanks to an insanely flat torque curve it can pull hard from just about any rpm.

lead17shelbygt500review2010.jpg

But as much as we like the 2010 GT500, it's not a car we would buy. That's not to say we aren't smitten – we're just as in love as we were when we left Infineon Raceway – but we just can't recommend it. It's not the price tag ($46,325 MSRP, $50,895 as-tested), which is an incredible bargain. Nor is it the solid rear axle (negated by Ford's impressive suspension tuning). It's certainly not the interior, or the exterior for that matter.

You see, as good as the 2010 GT500 is, there's something better coming. Just like we would have never bought a 2010 Mustang GT in anticipation of the legendary 5.0-liter V8 arriving in the 2011 model, we would keep our wallet tucked away until the 2011 Shelby GT500 hits showroom floors. With its aluminum block V8 filling the space between the front fenders, the 2011 GT500 should be even better. That's what taking 105 pounds off the front end of a car will do. So be patient, and wait for the 2011 GT500. That's what we're doing.

Driver mod coming from practice is your friend. When my car was 100% stock on the street I could still launch easily without much wheelspin after a lot of practice perfecting my pedals movememts, and rpm shifts / launches. You need to adjust your driving if you want to be fast consistently in these cars, it's not easy and most are to impatient or not creative / educated to perfect. Quick shift 2nd at around 55-5800 rpms with a slight feather - Launch between 2500 - 3k with a slight feather - Power shift the rest at redline. Of course conditions will make you have to slightly adjust your technique each time (less tire psi, less rpm launch or more, same with the quick shift into second). New tires with sidewall is your friend and then a few basic bolt ons and your planted like glue unless you go high HP without learning how to handle what you have. The 2010 is only good for straight lines? wtf are they talking about, it pulls nearly 1g with horrible stock tires and a high ride height. I came from a C6 ZO6 and I'm completely satisfied with my car's power and handling. Especially after a few basic bolt ons.

Buy a 2011 then the 2012 will beat you and guess what, the 2013 will be better, buy a 2013 then the 2014 is better.... Sometimes you just have to be content and master what you have, then mod it to make up for the slight differences from each year. My .02

Funny you should ask....

I'm gonna give this mod a shot :)

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f669/traction-control-auto-off-mod-462075

The mod works great !! :happy feet:

TCS is OFF when you start the car. Push the button if you want to turn it ON.

Whoever designed this mod and posted it, did a great service for all of us.... :salute:

Ed, where did you get the relay, what was the part number?

Chris

Most auto parts stores will have a 12V 20-40 amp relay (normally open). Even radio shack has one.

The mod works great !! :happy feet:

TCS is OFF when you start the car. Push the button if you want to turn it ON.

Whoever designed this mod and posted it, did a great service for all of us.... :salute:

I looked at this mod and I'm lost...

can you explain step by step what you did?

I looked at this mod and I'm lost...

can you explain step by step what you did?

Here is the drawing that the designer provided in the thread above.

The radio connector is J1. Either use the start wire, pin 15, or use a wire that you run to the fuse. It's much easier to splice into the J1 connector wire IMHO.

When you start the car, it triggers the relay that essentially pushes the TCS button for you. Thus, it's OFF when the car starts.

Does this clear things up?

TCS Solenoid.pdf

TCS Solenoid.pdf

Archived