TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got the last word in

thewheelman

Couple of things on my mind......Old man at church gigs me every time I drive my GT 500 to church. At first it was funny but gets annoying really quick. Last time I drove the car it was late fall, pretty day but turning cold soon. He makes some remark about "Foolish to buy something you can't even use but 4-5 months of the year." So, last week he shows up with a brand new sparkling clean pick up truck. I asked what he was going to haul in it and he said, "Nothing, if I can keep from it." So I got my chance and said, "Isn't that foolish? Buying something you never intend to use." Ha! Gotcha!

We've had a couple of pretty days since New Year's so I took all my vehicles through the car wash on Monday. I know, I know, there are those among us who can't imagine such a thing, but we've got a good laser car wash--no tracks in floor or anything--and it really does a good job getting the GT 500 clean. It was about 43 degrees Monday when I took it through and the under-car wash must have really blowed water up under the motor. Steam was billowing out of the hood vents. This kid, must have been 4-5 years old was standing by his dad who was drying off a truck, and he was just awestruck by the Mustang. He pointed at it and said, "Look, smoke coming out if it's nose, just like a fire breathing dragon!" His dad grinned said, "It's a cobra, not a dragon, but just as bad." The little boy was thrilled (I think Dad was too) when I opened the hood and showed him where the "smoke" was coming from.

Finally, the gauntlet has been thrown down. I was at Lowe's the other day when this guy approaches me and asks if I drive a Shelby Mustang. I 'fessed up (I wasn't driving it that day) and the longer I talked to him the more he reminded me of Larry the Cable Guy. He tells me he's got a Grand Prix that I just won't want to mess with. At first I thought he was talking about a GTO, but he said Grand Prix again. Nothing would do but I go out to the parking lot with him to see his monster Pontiac. So, I'm looking for a GTP, supercharged, something or other, but he leads me to a real, old-fashioned, V8, rear wheel drive 1986 Grand Prix complete with a massive hood scoop and a "warhorse" 305. It's sitting on what look like 18-20 inch rims and jacked up like a 4 wheel drive. The hood scoop is held in place by rivets and sheet metal screws. He opens the hood and, sure 'nuff, there's a V8 with a tiny air filter on it and a big hole in the hood where the scoop fits. No high-rise, no supercharger, no headers, no obvious evidence of high-performance parts, but it's got 4 inch exhaust and sounds like a tractor pull at the county fair when he fires it up. I am as congenial as I can be and trying desperately to get away when he winds up the conversation with, "I know it's kinda cold for you to be out driving your convertible, but when the weather get warmer, I'm gonna look you up and show you what this baby will do." Ok, I'll be waiting with baited breath. Sometimes you just have to think that not all the fruitcakes come in boxes.

Sorry for rambling on, but no one else can appreciate this stuff......

Couple of things on my mind......Old man at church gigs me every time I drive my GT 500 to church. At first it was funny but gets annoying really quick. Last time I drove the car it was late fall, pretty day but turning cold soon. He makes some remark about "Foolish to buy something you can't even use but 4-5 months of the year." So, last week he shows up with a brand new sparkling clean pick up truck. I asked what he was going to haul in it and he said, "Nothing, if I can keep from it." So I got my chance and said, "Isn't that foolish? Buying something you never intend to use." Ha! Gotcha!

We've had a couple of pretty days since New Year's so I took all my vehicles through the car wash on Monday. I know, I know, there are those among us who can't imagine such a thing, but we've got a good laser car wash--no tracks in floor or anything--and it really does a good job getting the GT 500 clean. It was about 43 degrees Monday when I took it through and the under-car wash must have really blowed water up under the motor. Steam was billowing out of the hood vents. This kid, must have been 4-5 years old was standing by his dad who was drying off a truck, and he was just awestruck by the Mustang. He pointed at it and said, "Look, smoke coming out if it's nose, just like a fire breathing dragon!" His dad grinned said, "It's a cobra, not a dragon, but just as bad." The little boy was thrilled (I think Dad was too) when I opened the hood and showed him where the "smoke" was coming from.

Finally, the gauntlet has been thrown down. I was at Lowe's the other day when this guy approaches me and asks if I drive a Shelby Mustang. I 'fessed up (I wasn't driving it that day) and the longer I talked to him the more he reminded me of Larry the Cable Guy. He tells me he's got a Grand Prix that I just won't want to mess with. At first I thought he was talking about a GTO, but he said Grand Prix again. Nothing would do but I go out to the parking lot with him to see his monster Pontiac. So, I'm looking for a GTP, supercharged, something or other, but he leads me to a real, old-fashioned, V8, rear wheel drive 1986 Grand Prix complete with a massive hood scoop and a "warhorse" 305. It's sitting on what look like 18-20 inch rims and jacked up like a 4 wheel drive. The hood scoop is held in place by rivets and sheet metal screws. He opens the hood and, sure 'nuff, there's a V8 with a tiny air filter on it and a big hole in the hood where the scoop fits. No high-rise, no supercharger, no headers, no obvious evidence of high-performance parts, but it's got 4 inch exhaust and sounds like a tractor pull at the county fair when he fires it up. I am as congenial as I can be and trying desperately to get away when he winds up the conversation with, "I know it's kinda cold for you to be out driving your convertible, but when the weather get warmer, I'm gonna look you up and show you what this baby will do." Ok, I'll be waiting with baited breath. Sometimes you just have to think that not all the fruitcakes come in boxes.

:headscratch:

Have you considered moving? :hysterical:

Great stories

That's funny stuff Hal.

Your story got me thinking about something else that 'chaps' my hide a bit. Let me know if any of you have ever had this happen to you.

Just for an instance, I'm at a party where most of the people know my wife and not me, but know of me through her, and that I'm a car guy. That should be the first red flag...I'm a car guy and GET cars, ok?

So they'll ask, what do you do? blah blah blah...bike store...blah blah blah. So, Gina tells me you are a car guy? What does that mean exactly? Do you sell cars, work on them, or just like them?

I will reply, "I love cars, and from time to time will have as many as three including my daily driver." I go on to say, "I have had cars that are 15 or 20 years old, that have never been washed!" I tell them that I have flown all around the country, (on the wifes free air miles, accumulated) to go look at cars to buy...so I'm not just relegated to the local pool from AutoTrader or Craiglist in our town, then I will have them shipped to my home via enclosed transport.

Then two things happen! The one of which I can stomach, and the other is the one that sends me into a tailspin!!! The one question that's OK with me, is usually, "OMG, so you're like a real collector?" Here comes the PIA...wait for it... " Well, you know, if you go buy cars from snow country, you gotta really be careful of rust." "They're all gonna be rusted out!"

:banghead::censored::angry22: Really? At that point, I usually turn and look for someone I know to save me! :hysterical:

They obviously didn't listen to a THING I told them at the top...I'm just some dope who looks at any car that has a cool paintjob and never raises the hood?

WTF??? Then on the drive home, I tell the wife..."NO MORE PARTIES!"

I was at the gas station once getting into the KR. A guy in a pick up truck rolls up to me and says "Hey, is that your car?" I couldn't help myself and replied: "No, I stole it" I got in, closed the door, fired it up, and left him sitting there.

I was at the gas station once getting into the KR. A guy in a pick up truck rolls up to me and says "Hey, is that your car?" I couldn't help myself and replied: "No, I stole it" I got in, closed the door, fired it up, and left him sitting there.

Hahahahaha!!!

You smart a$$ New Yorkers!!! I love it!! :hysterical:

Reading this makes me dread the things I will hear when I get the Shelby out of the garage this spring. I had enough wise crack remarks, people who thought their pos car was faster, etc. with the GT I had before the Shelby. I have a feeling it will only get worse but I would rather put up with the bull____ than live without my Shelby! If anything it usually gives a few good laughs at the end of the day.

Sounds like something I would say.

I had some short notice parameter changes to some test software I'm responsible for pop up yesterday. The team will be leaving this weekend, and they need it today. I made the changes yesterday evening, then came in early this morning to test it in the lab. When I was finished, I placed a disk with the new software package on the desk of the guy that will be leading the test team.

He saw the disk when he came in.

Technician: "So, the software is good to go?"

Me: "No, I gave you broken shit."

Technician: "Good to know."

Me: "Knowing is half the battle."

Maybe I'm just getting old and grouchy.

Archived