TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Signed Air bag cover

Larry T

I did something a little odd in order to overcome the hassle.

I had a trophy shop get a piece of silver plastic (for the GTH) and cut it to length and shape the edges. I had Shelby sign that (mail away) for less, and then double stick tape on the bottom piece of the airbag.

I had the plastic trophy plastic made about 10 inches (cost me 15 bucks). What I should have done was make it the entire length of the airbag cover (again only the bottom portion which is flat and rectangular) which is about 18 inches long. No one would ever no the difference.

If Shelby is not signing the air bag in person, my thought was to skip the hassle and cost, make a plastic plate that looks like it belongs and have him sign that. Feels like the same thing as mailing an airbag unit - but cheaper and easier.

I am interested if folks think this was a good idea. Doesnt matter for me because that plastic has double sided tape so strong I cant ever get it off.

Casey

Having Carroll sigh the dash is a tradition going back to the early days. What you did is a great idea and will look and work fine but the signature on the actual dash is steeped in that tradition and I just don't feel replicated by a stick on piece of plastic. Yes, you're right it's more expensive and can be a hassle. But in the end I think it's worth it. At the very least go get yourself a cover and have it signed you can always install later.

Having Carroll sigh the dash is a tradition going back to the early days. What you did is a great idea and will look and work fine but the signature on the actual dash is steeped in that tradition and I just don't feel replicated by a stick on piece of plastic. Yes, you're right it's more expensive and can be a hassle. But in the end I think it's worth it. At the very least go get yourself a cover and have it signed you can always install later.

+1

If you happen to know the part number, that would be great. I have an 07 GTH Convertible - so it is silver, not black.

Maybe the FORD guys will get it right when I call them, but I would like some insurance. :-)

Also I note that some have black covers, the GT500s seem different. I just dont want to order the wrong thing.

With Carroll just hitting 88, I figure I better get going on this.

Thx, Casey

I know what you are talking about. It just feels different doesnt it. Maybe I should do the airbag thing. How much are they at ford? Casey

FORD says all I need is the VIN and they will make sure it matches up. Do you guys have him put the CSM number on too, or just his autograph? (Just FYI - I'm not a newbie to this - I have had him sign five other things - just wondering what people think about adding the CSM number. Thanks, Casey

FORD says all I need is the VIN and they will make sure it matches up. Do you guys have him put the CSM number on too, or just his autograph? (Just FYI - I'm not a newbie to this - I have had him sign five other things - just wondering what people think about adding the CSM number. Thanks, Casey

I didn't put the CSM on as I figured if he actually sat in the car that would be silly to write. I also think that if I EVER sell the car, unless the new owner is col, and pays me extra, I'll pull it and sell separately or keep it. Having the CSM on it limits future use and really doesn't add anything. IMHO!

I had mine signed and had him add my CSM number. To me, it made it special and unique to the car.

• 3 weeks later...

I had mine signed and had him add my CSM number. To me, it made it special and unique to the car.

+1

Question is are you buying it as an investment or part of the legacy that you have with your Shelby .... for me there was no question on which way to go, just my .02

+1

Question is are you buying it as an investment or part of the legacy that you have with your Shelby .... for me there was no question on which way to go, just my .02

I have had and collected numerous Mustangs over the years and have enjoyed every one of them. If they appreciate all the better but the joy I get out of them is the reason for having them and I never had a Shelby before. Getting my airbag signed with the CSM number just made the car that much more special. It gives the signature that much more of a purpose than just some random signed car part.

Ditto here ^^^

That way it doesn't look like something picked up off ebay.

It's only value is to my SGT and it's unique CSM #

Not an investment issue, but in my book it's much better to have a signed car then not.

=-=-=--=-=--

Archived