TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thoughts on the 2013 Model Year

Pockdog

So from this post by Grabber...

It got me to thinking about the 2013 model year and how well it may or may not do, primarily based on the seemingly silly fact that it has a 13 in it.

This past September 2010, I was days away from finally taking delivery on a 2011 GT500 Grabber Blue SVT/Nav package (that I ordered in February) when I got laid off from my job. banghead.gif

So no car for me now (as it sits, with a nifty ADM, at the dealer unsold) as I regroup and start the long journey back toward saving the cash once again to get a Shelby.

As I see my timeline, I might be ready right around late MY2012 or release of the MY2013. So I am sitting here thinking...

1) If I am not ready in time to purchase a 2012 MY, how will I feel if I purchase a 2013 MY, given that I'm not overly influenced by superstition, but it seems odd to me to think I might own a '13?

2) From Grabber's comment above, if the 2014 MY marks the coming of the new body style, should I just wait for that and avoid the whole '13 thing?

3) As I think further on this, will the entire auto industry see a decline in sales for all cars falling in the MY 2013 because of the superstition surrounding the number 13?

-Pockdog

The fact not withstanding, I am aware that the 2014 might not even be called a Shelby, but I will still be interested in the Ford SVT Mustang offering.

New CAFE rules are approaching fast. So waiting too long will be the gamble on engine, induction, HP and TQ. Good luck with your choices and I hope GT500's will continue as the King of Muscle Cars no matter what.

I have faith the car companies will continue to find ways to put out muscle cars that will continue to get more powerful and better performing despite CAFE standards. That being said I really hope Ford continues to make the GT500 into the next body style. It would be a shame to have a lighter and more powerful Mustang come out and not have Shelby on it.

Car companies will make what sells. CAFE standards aren't the problem, its the looming $5.00 a gallon price tag that most annalists think fuel will have within the next few years. Keep in mind, that's for regular... :banghead:

I live in one of the cheapest gasoline areas in the country and regular is already just below $3 a gallon here on average. I have a refinery less than 10 miles from my house, the cost at the pumps are always cheapest closest to the source.

Cafe rules apply to a manufacturer as a whole (all their products)

As long as they have a certain # of cars that are below a certain set of figures (EPA wise), then that off-sets the performance cars that are a much smaller market overall. You can bet they will work the system to keep having a flagship performance car.

As far as gas prices, I am a little worried, but at the same time, the oil companies know that past a certain level, they will be hurting themselves by stifling the economy and reducing demand. $5/gal. will change a lot of habits for Americans and will overall reduce their profits, at least in the short-term (5 - 10 years) After that though, if China keeps increasing their usage (and they will), then we will not be the primary country to dictate how high oil will go (based on economy), as we will be a smaller consumer and have less influence.

Forget 2013 my last three digits in my serial number is 666. At first I thought this sucks, but then I figuerd I own the Beast ! If your going to have a unique serial number like 007 or 666 you've got somthing rare.

That would always be in the back of my mind.

Forget 2013 my last three digits in my serial number is 666. At first I thought this sucks, but then I figuerd I own the Beast ! If your going to have a unique serial number like 007 or 666 you've got somthing rare.

Just thought I would throw in my las t three of "197" after the platform. And, dude, "666" with the upcoming Dec 21, '12 has to make you think... :headscratch: B)

Cool tho...

There is only so much you can get from fuel, US gallon = 115,000 Btu ( http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/energy_conv.html ), before you have no choice but to dump more in. CAFE will have a bearing on auto manufactures, especially when pickups are counted as part of the equation. If anything, future guzzlers will be rare and at a premium. Get 'em while their hot.

Just thought I would throw in my las t three of "197" after the platform. And, dude, "666" with the upcoming Dec 21, '12 has to make you think... :headscratch: B)

Cool tho...

Didn't you hear? Mythbusters busted the 12,12,12 myth.... :confused:

On a side note, my wife and I are 666 and 007.... :hysterical:

Archived