TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MrFarmdog has a rail car #

mrfarmdog

It will be interesting to see how far it gets today. Theoretically it could be in state (TN). I live near the tracks that come into town. If I can track it close enough perhaps I can get a pic of the car as it comes by.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Empty Yes *Interchange Delivered IORY SHARONVIL, OH 03/02/2007 11:10:00

Woohoo! Still moving!

Moving out of Cincinnati and further south!

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Sharonville,+...ap&ct=title

Nice to see your baby moving. :happy feet:

Heres where mine is. A little birdie hooked me up. :hysterical:

Nice to see your baby moving. :happy feet:

Heres where mine is. A little birdie hooked me up. :hysterical:

Hey Grabber - HTML attachments don't come out for me. Do an alt-printscreen and save it as an image. Then upload it.

Also my car must have sat in a rail yard outside of Cincinnati last night and was changed to another train. It was assigned to another carrier during the night and started moving early this AM on Norfolk Southern. I believe this is the railroad that it will stay on until it gets to Memphis.

Empty Yes *Arrived NS GEORGETOW, KY 03/03/2007 06:50:00

Here is a link to the remainder of the trip. It is 433 miles out :hyper:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&a...mp;z=7&om=1

In looking at the NS rail map it looks like it will have to go though Knoxville and Chattanooga before coming to Memphis.

Here is the map of the NS lines.

http://www.nscorp.com/nscorp/application;J...automotive.html

That is OK though. I am not expecting it until next weekend but it could get here earlier! Also I stopped by the dealership and asked them how they get the cars from the rail yard to the dealership and they said by truck. I thought that they might have drivers go over and drive them to the dealership since it is not too far (15 miles tops) but they assured me that was not the case.

The car is Ford's responsibility til it gets to the dealership and checked in. That is why the dealer doesn't pick it up.

That makes sense SCGT500. Thanks for the info! I was worried about who might be driving it.

In looking at the NS rail map it looks like it will have to go though Knoxville and Chattanooga before coming to Memphis.

Here is the map of the NS lines.

http://www.nscorp.com/nscorp/application;J...automotive.html

That is OK though. I am not expecting it until next weekend but it could get here earlier! Also I stopped by the dealership and asked them how they get the cars from the rail yard to the dealership and they said by truck. I thought that they might have drivers go over and drive them to the dealership since it is not too far (15 miles tops) but they assured me that was not the case.

farmdog....

I have a contact at the rail yard in Memphis. Remember, I, ME, MYSELF picked mine up there and put it on MY trailer and took it to the dealer for PDI. All you need is a letter from the dealer authorizing you as their agent. Be sure your insurance is in effect before you pick it up as a precaution. Great people there, lots of fun getting pictures of it coming off of the ramp! If I were you, I would drive it myself the 15 miles and get some great pictures. Take 2 dozen donuts with you to speed up the process.

post-3989-1172939808_thumb.jpg

post-3989-1172939903_thumb.jpg

post-3989-1172939808_thumb.jpg

post-3989-1172939903_thumb.jpg

farmdog....

I have a contact at the rail yard in Memphis. Remember, I, ME, MYSELF picked mine up there and put it on MY trailer and took it to the dealer for PDI. All you need is a letter from the dealer authorizing you as their agent. Be sure your insurance is in effect before you pick it up as a precaution. Great people there, lots of fun getting pictures of it coming off of the ramp! If I were you, I would drive it myself the 15 miles and get some great pictures. Take 2 dozen donuts with you to speed up the process.

What a great shot of the GO comming off the train. :hyper: You were lucky to pull that off.

farmdog....

Subguns

It never hurts to ask does it :hyper: I will let you know what they say.

While my car sat in Shelbyville, KY all day today it is now moving again.

Empty Yes *Arrived NS SHEMIXCTR, KY 03/03/2007 11:00:00

I am not sure what SHEMIXCTR is as I have not been able to find any info on the Internet.

I am not sure what SHEMIXCTR is as I have not been able to find any info on the Internet.

SHEMIXCTR is code for She's Mixing Consentrated Featherlax.

Right now there is a shortage of Featherlax. BNSF got the rest of it. Your train will now sit for 4-6 days waiting a delivery to replenish there supply. :ohsnap:

Sorry, I had some strings pulled to get the last batch sent to BNSF. :hyper:

After a little more digging I found out that this stands for Shelbyville Automobile Mixing Center. Here is a paragraph from the NS site that describes what happens at these facilities...

----------------------

Vehicle Distribution

Since 1998, Norfolk Southern has managed an innovative vehicle distribution system sourcing from Ford's 20 North American assembly plants through a mixing center network to Ford's retail national dealer network. This network is a hub and spoke distribution system where vehicles are shipped to one of four strategically located centers. The mixing centers are located in Fostoria, OH, to serve vehicle markets in the northeast and eastern Canada; Shelbyville, KY, to serve the southeast; Kansas City, MO, to serve the southwest and west; and Chicago, IL, to serve the northwest and western Canada. At each mixing center the vehicles are unloaded, sorted and reloaded according to a common destination. This reduces vehicle dwell time at each plant as waiting for a full rail carload for a common destination is eliminated. A dedicated train service network, part of the Thoroughbred Operating Plan (TOP), reduces transit time and improves consistency. Daily service between the plants, mixing centers, and destination ramps allows Norfolk Southern to establish a high velocity network to reduce transit time to delivery.

Norfolk Southern serves 38 auto distribution terminals in 18 states, providing superior delivery of finished vehicles to market.

----------------------

Also here is a link to a PDF that gives some insight to how these facilities are set up. Look at the map of the facility...

http://www.nscorp.com/nscorphtml/marketing...shelbyville.pdf

Finally here is a press release that describes the agreement with Ford and NS. It says that this system will reduce vehicle transportation time down to 15 days.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...197/ai_18942090

After a little more digging I found out that this stands for Shelbyville Automobile Mixing Center. Here is a paragraph from the NS site that describes what happens at these facilities...

----------------------

Vehicle Distribution

Since 1998, Norfolk Southern has managed an innovative vehicle distribution system sourcing from Ford's 20 North American assembly plants through a mixing center network to Ford's retail national dealer network. This network is a hub and spoke distribution system where vehicles are shipped to one of four strategically located centers. The mixing centers are located in Fostoria, OH, to serve vehicle markets in the northeast and eastern Canada; Shelbyville, KY, to serve the southeast; Kansas City, MO, to serve the southwest and west; and Chicago, IL, to serve the northwest and western Canada. At each mixing center the vehicles are unloaded, sorted and reloaded according to a common destination. This reduces vehicle dwell time at each plant as waiting for a full rail carload for a common destination is eliminated. A dedicated train service network, part of the Thoroughbred Operating Plan (TOP), reduces transit time and improves consistency. Daily service between the plants, mixing centers, and destination ramps allows Norfolk Southern to establish a high velocity network to reduce transit time to delivery.

Norfolk Southern serves 38 auto distribution terminals in 18 states, providing superior delivery of finished vehicles to market.

----------------------

Also here is a link to a PDF that gives some insight to how these facilities are set up. Look at the map of the facility...

Finally here is a press release that describes the agreement with Ford and NS. It says that this system will reduce vehicle transportation time down to 15 days.

Good info. Nice to know. When you get a chance, we have a new member...screen name GTorSSguy that has a GT500 getting ready to leave the plant that needs someone like you that is familiar with NS to help him track his car. If you want to help him, please send him a PM. Thanks.

Good info. Nice to know. When you get a chance, we have a new member...screen name GTorSSguy that has a GT500 getting ready to leave the plant that needs someone like you that is familiar with NS to help him track his car. If you want to help him, please send him a PM. Thanks.

PM sent.

----------------------

Vehicle Distribution

----------------------

Well... This has been a learning experience to say the least but last night I had an epiphany. I noticed that the prior tracking I have done for my rail car said the car was empty but I had not paid that much attention to it until now. But it all makes more sense to me given that the car is now in the mix center. I think the cars are assigned before they are loaded for final destination and those cars are sent to the mix center for loading. So at this point I am not sure where my Shelby is other than it should be somewhere between the plant and the mix center. Once the stat changes to loaded then I should be confident that my Shelby is on the rail car that was assigned and I can track it's location. I am kind of bummed about it but at the same time I am not too concerned as this process is not supposed to take very long (a couple of days perhaps). I will keep monitoring the car status and hope it departs the mix center soon with a loaded status.

I have been watching the UP tracking on and off today and the rail car finally left the Shelbyville Auto Mix Center apparantly heading towards Louisville Ky on CSXT. Interesting that it still shows an empty status. I thought for sure I would see it change from empty to loaded at the Mix Center so I am not sure what is going on.

Empty Yes *Departed CSXT LOUISVILL, KY 03/04/2007 18:35:00

The CSX rail map on their website shows the bulk overflow station (I think this is Shelbyville Auto Mix Center) and line runing to Louisville, then to Nashville and then to Memphis. If the car is indeed loaded and moving it could be at the Memphis rail head tomorrow or the next day.

I have been watching the UP tracking on and off today and the rail car finally left the Shelbyville Auto Mix Center apparantly heading towards Louisville Ky on CSXT. Interesting that it still shows an empty status. I thought for sure I would see it change from empty to loaded at the Mix Center so I am not sure what is going on.

The CSX rail map on their website shows the bulk overflow station (I think this is Shelbyville Auto Mix Center) and line runing to Louisville, then to Nashville and then to Memphis. If the car is indeed loaded and moving it could be at the Memphis rail head tomorrow or the next day.

Have you called Big Bird :hysterical:

J/K

I feel your pain. :baby:

Hey Grabber!

My rail car was in nashville this AM as of 2:45 CST. If it is loaded it could be hitting the rail head today! :hyper:

Empty Yes *Arrived CSXT NASHVILLE, TN 03/05/2007 02:45:00

how can you stand the wait? i'm glad my dealer didn't tell me about the rail car number because i would have gone insane tracking it this close. :banghead:

you know of course we will expect lots of pics. :D

congrats to early. it willbe so worth the wait.

CB

how can you stand the wait? i'm glad my dealer didn't tell me about the rail car number because i would have gone insane tracking it this close. :banghead:

you know of course we will expect lots of pics. :D

congrats to early. it willbe so worth the wait.

CB

I hear you on the PSDS kicking in! But really as long as it is making progress as expected then I am cool. It is getting close though. It won't be long :shift:

Empty Yes *Departed CSXT NASHVILLE, TN 03/05/2007 17:30:00

Well as of 5:30PM my car left Nashville with a destination of MEMPHIS!!!! Like a father running around picking up last minute things before he takes his labor ridden wife to the delivery room, I spent some time today making sure the last minute things were done for mine. Payment in route to dealer, receiving dealer notified and that everything is good from their end, insurance in place, etc.

When I called the receiving dealer and talked to the fleet manager and asked if I could pick it up at the rail yard and he said we could do it together :rockon: My hope is that the planets align tonight and that everything works so that I can go get it tomorrow. I doubt it will happen that way but I can always hope...

It will be a restless night tonight.

Empty Yes *Departed CSXT NASHVILLE, TN 03/05/2007 17:30:00

Well as of 5:30PM my car left Nashville with a destination of MEMPHIS!!!! Like a father running around picking up last minute things before he takes his labor ridden wife to the delivery room, I spent some time today making sure the last minute things were done for mine. Payment in route to dealer, receiving dealer notified and that everything is good from their end, insurance in place, etc.

When I called the receiving dealer and talked to the fleet manager and asked if I could pick it up at the rail yard and he said we could do it together :rockon: My hope is that the planets align tonight and that everything works so that I can go get it tomorrow. I doubt it will happen that way but I can always hope...

It will be a restless night tonight.

I almost forgot...

The reason this will be a restless night is that the train line runs right past my house. We hear evey train that comes down it so every one I hear I will be thinking, is this the one? WOOOHOOO!

Archived