TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2nd gear grind revisited - MGW shifter installed

CMG

I have a 2011 with 700 miles on it now. I gave my trans about 500 miles until shifting hard into 2nd. When I did it ground 2 out of two times. After reading all the post about the MGW fixing the problem I took it easy until installing the new shifter last week. The weather finally broke today and I went for a test drive. Much to my disappointment I still have the grind. I guess the next step will be the local ford dealer. I had really wanted to avoid that. I havnt seen many updated post on this lately and was wondering where others were at on this.

Im lucky to have a very good relationship with my local dealer and more specificly the mechanics. The one or two that work on the SVT stuff are mustang owners and understand the big picture. I used to own a fleet of about 20 Ford trucks and they did alot of warranty work for me.

I just hate the whole process of taking it in. Guess I want to get it done before spring though!

I think the gear grind is a combination of the below. My transmission was rebuilt and no more grind. I don't know how some are speed shifting but maybe that does not help either if there are already problems.

-My grind started after a spirited drive and shifted fast and my transmission was rebuilt. I still say there is a flaw in the transmission synchro because my 5 speed does not have this issue

-I removed the crappy shifter and installed an MGW the next day which was far better than stock. At the time MGW wass the only one out for the GT500

-I installed a CHE transmission brace because the front of the shifter is mounted on the transmission and the rear to the car, so I eliminate twisting effects

-Now no more grind. I plan to replace the Mercon V with Amsoil and be done with it all

This was my success but others may not be the same. If it grinds, #1 make the dealer fix the transmission because it will not get any better no matter what you try.

Well we had a somewhat nice day today (40 degrees) so I decided to take out the car for a spin. I have just got the car back after having the MGW shifter installed and my grind problems is gone. I dont want to say it was all do to the shifter though, I also had a set of Lethal performance motor mounts put on as well, so if it was do to torque twisting maybe that helped. I told my dealer about the 1-2 grind and he being an avid mustang enthusiast suggested using the redline tranny fluid. He has used it before and said it had helped as far as smoothness of shifts go. I personally have not done this yet, but come time for next service I am going to switch to the redline fluids and try them out.

I am so sorry to hear that you are still having issues. I also wish I could offer you more advise, but this is my first Mustang ever and I am learning as I go as well. Keep us posted and wish you the best. Greg.

Im lucky to have a very good relationship with my local dealer and more specificly the mechanics. The one or two that work on the SVT stuff are mustang owners and understand the big picture. I used to own a fleet of about 20 Ford trucks and they did alot of warranty work for me.

I just hate the whole process of taking it in. Guess I want to get it done before spring though!

The only thing I'd do if I was you is have your dealer report it. Then wait until this "fix" comes out in May and have them try it. No reason to have them rip your car apart now when the current fixes don't work.

The only thing I'd do if I was you is have your dealer report it. Then wait until this "fix" comes out in May and have them try it. No reason to have them rip your car apart now when the current fixes don't work.

What is this fix you speak of in May?

I have taken mine in and taken the tech for a ride, as I have posted in the past I have a complete 2nd gear lock out. I have never completed a shift under hard throttle. But my dealer was told by ford that the trans would have to come out and THEN they could order the parts. I have a small dealer and they dont have a place to keep a car for a long time. Last fall it seemed that folks were waiting 4 to 6 weeks for parts.

I did get a written letter from my dealer stating that if I wanted to try the MGW shifter they would honor my warranty and not give me any trouble if it didnt fix it.

What is this fix you speak of in May?

I have taken mine in and taken the tech for a ride, as I have posted in the past I have a complete 2nd gear lock out. I have never completed a shift under hard throttle. But my dealer was told by ford that the trans would have to come out and THEN they could order the parts. I have a small dealer and they dont have a place to keep a car for a long time. Last fall it seemed that folks were waiting 4 to 6 weeks for parts.

I did get a written letter from my dealer stating that if I wanted to try the MGW shifter they would honor my warranty and not give me any trouble if it didnt fix it.

As in my post above my transmission was rebuilt by Ford under warranty and no grind. I believe a synchro issue. I did the MGW and CHE brace and no issues. Especially for those wanting more than

500rwhp I would be doing something. I'm at 577rwhp with the above and no problem. You can't drive the car not paying attention and shifting like a Honda. It's not a Honda. I've found that proper driving

meaning trained driving racing skills and obvious repairs and upgrades have cured the issues. That's me but I want to offer my experience. I called Tremec and the only oil other than what Ford put in

they recommended was the Amsoil ATF. That was the tech for the 6060 Tremec that is in our cars. From what I researched and Tremec's response, the Amsoil ATF will be the one I use. Others had

good luck with the Amsoil.

Radical08

I have a small dealer and they dont have a place to keep a car for a long time.

You're sure not alone there - and neither is your dealer. Most have only just begun clearing the backlog of Windstars that suffered from both axle and cruise control module recalls - only to have the supplier come-up dry on replacement parts for months. For almost all of the 2010 fall months, most Ford dealer lots looked like a perpetual gathering of the local Windstar owners' club. A lot of dealers were running out of space to park anything else.

Archived