TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby redline hood quicklift's installed

Got one of my xmas gifts installed today... can't say I'd have done it if it weren't for another mod that requires no prop rod, but I LOVE THEM! They lift the hood soooooooo smooth! Install was simple, 6 holes to drill, 4 rivets, two stud/nut things, and done... It's one of those things that should have been factory.....

1ea6afde.jpg

ca82d6e2.jpg

a3f197e0.jpg

696349d9.jpg

Got one of my xmas gifts installed today... can't say I'd have done it if it weren't for another mod that requires no prop rod, but I LOVE THEM! They lift the hood soooooooo smooth! Install was simple, 6 holes to drill, 4 rivets, two stud/nut things, and done... It's one of those things that should have been factory.....

Nice, now get the ones for the trunk !

Hope you had a great Christmas

Andrew

The hood lfts look cool. How do they compare to the other set Shelby sold with the billet mounting brackets that require no drilling ? I like the looks of the Redline struts better but I'm not sure about drilling holes.

I have the billet lift kit and I like the looks of it better than the Redline, the mounting hardware looks great. However, note that I said "the looks". The struts have no holding power and seem to weaken over time. I have gone through 3 sets of struts and I am waiting for Shelby to get another set in to send me. If they could combine the two, they would be perfect.

Robert

I have the billet lift kit and I like the looks of it better than the Redline, the mounting hardware looks great. However, note that I said "the looks". The struts have no holding power and seem to weaken over time. I have gone through 3 sets of struts and I am waiting for Shelby to get another set in to send me. If they could combine the two, they would be perfect.

Robert

So if you don't mind clarifying for me, the Shelby struts weaken over time?

So if you don't mind clarifying for me, the Shelby struts weaken over time?

They seem to do that. When I first bought them, they would not even hold my hood up. The second set had a similar problem and the third set barely holds my hood up, a gentle breeze will push my hood down. According to Shelby, the billet set is manufactured by Scott Drake and they have had some issues with them. I really like the way they look, but the struts just don't seem to be made very well. I am not sure if they are not pressurized properly or if they have a slow leak.

It appears to me that the bolt in kit puts the hood mount point too close to the pivot/hinge point... it would take a hell of a strong strut to maintain lifting the hood repeatedly. I'm all for not drilling holes, but the redline kit just nails it in my opinion. Worth drilling a few holes for.

On a side note, IF you have a blower with the intercooler reservior mounted where the older whipples put them, be very aware that you need to follow the measurements exactly, and possibly even shave 1/8" off them for the hood mounting point to guarantee no rubbing. Mine was VERY close!

Archived