TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nitto NT05R

Nitemare

After much on line research, I bought a pair of Nitto NT05R DR's. The wife's been driving her ( Ya sure) car for the last 2 days and I haven't had a chance to try them out.

It has 562 RWHP (it's an 08), The stock Goodyears were useless in 1st & 2nd gear. What can I expect when I get a chance to drive the car( without the wife of course)?? What about wet roads?? I live in Florida and you can get caught out in the rain without notice. The tires are stock size 285/40/18"s. Oh, also. I had 3.73 gears and Steeda LCA with a girdle put in at the same time, so I haven't tested those either.

post-25599-0-29957200-1293742987_thumb.jpg

post-25599-0-29957200-1293742987_thumb.jpg

After much on line research, I bought a pair of Nitto NT05R DR's. The wife's been driving her ( Ya sure) car for the last 2 days and I haven't had a chance to try them out.

It has 562 RWHP (it's an 08), The stock Goodyears were useless in 1st & 2nd gear. What can I expect when I get a chance to drive the car( without the wife of course)?? What about wet roads?? I live in Florida and you can get caught out in the rain without notice. The tires are stock size 285/40/18"s. Oh, also. I had 3.73 gears and Steeda LCA with a girdle put in at the same time, so I haven't tested those either.

Have no idea what you can expect, but I'm real anxious to hear your impressions. I've been toying with the idea of widening to 11 inches and going with the 315/40s, or just keeping the rims stock and going with the stock size. If the stock size works well and allows you to squeeze the throttle through first and second without all hell breaking loose then that's what I'll go with. Please keep us posted.

Got to take Coco ( Wife's name, not mine) out and test the new changes. The gears, LCA, and Nitto's work great. No wheel hop. With the clutch engaged, just rolling, without reving the motor, WOT purduced some wheel spin and the Nitto's hooked up in about 35 to 45 feet( Don't forget, 562 RWHP). Second gear had no noticeable spin at all. With no plans to take her to the drag strip or track, this works for me. In my opion cause I am not going to do it, if you were to bring the RPM up to 3000 and dump the clutch, WOT, you will burn up a set of tires in a hurry. As far as wet roads go, unless caught out, it's never going to be driven in the rain, we.just take the Nitemare if it's raining.

..................Bill.

post-25599-0-62979200-1293902403_thumb.jpg

post-25599-0-62979200-1293902403_thumb.jpg

Got to take Coco ( Wife's name, not mine) out and test the new changes. The gears, LCA, and Nitto's work great. No wheel hop. With the clutch engaged, just rolling, without reving the motor, WOT purduced some wheel spin and the Nitto's hooked up in about 35 to 45 feet( Don't forget, 562 RWHP). Second gear had no noticeable spin at all. With no plans to take her to the drag strip or track, this works for me. In my opion cause I am not going to do it, if you were to bring the RPM up to 3000 and dump the clutch, WOT, you will burn up a set of tires in a hurry. As far as wet roads go, unless caught out, it's never going to be driven in the rain, we.just take the Nitemare if it's raining.

..................Bill.

Thanks for the feedback. Wondering what the ambient temperature was and whether or not the tires were warm?

Temp. was 74 degrees. I drove about 3 milies before testing and TC was off. I'm in Florida.

.................Bill

Just for haha's I checked the tire air pressure today. Unbelievable, the morons, trying to get the low pressure indicater light out put 40 PSI in all 4 tires.

I brought the pressure down to 32PSI. The Nitto's really hook up now, very little wheel spin with a rolling WOT.

Archived