TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Consumer Reports rates snow blowers.

Having just returned from the east coast to SoCal, I told myself that if I ever lived where it snowed, I would buy two things. One, a snow blower and, two, a device that starts your car from inside the house so it can warm up.

Jim

I bought a new Craftsman 9 HP snowblower, 6 forward speeds and two reverse, 11 years ago. That sucker still runs like new, does a great job, still going strong and has paid for itself a bunch of times already!

Feb. 2011 issue had this 1 page article, may be of interest to some of the group.

.Feb2011ConsumerReports-snowblowers001.jpg

Bought an Ariens back in 2003, 11.5 hp, ...............................they make good blowers !!

I still have my snow blower from sears it was bought in 2001 and is 29in mouth and 9hp. This thing starts everytime and no matter how deep the snow is it eats it up. It only broke the safety pins once it sux up 2 big stones one shot out the other got stuck. But will always by sears equipment.

I got to use my Ariens last weekend. We had our first real snow of the year, about 3". I shoveled part of the driveway down to the end and then used the blower to remove it from the site. Snow this time of the year can be blown about a block away. Later in the spring it'll be like a Slurpee.

Bought an Ariens back in 2003, 11.5 hp, ...............................they make good blowers !!

I bought one used back in the mid 90's for $300 it owes me nothing. The only problem I have is starting it, there is no electric starter and the Tecumseh is a bear to pull start! The few shear pins I broke were replaced with some mild steel stove bolts for about one quarter the cost and work just as well, Yes I have sheared them as well!

The Tecumseh on my 25+ year old one always started easily unless I left gas in it over the winter. Cleaning the carb of the gunk was hard. Anyway, about 5 or 6 years ago I started the engine and it went off governor and literally blew the piston rod out the side of the engine. I replaced it with the new equivalent (9.5hp?) and just like the old one, it starts on the first or second pull every time. I have the electric start which I used when we lived in MA because it was stored outside in the cold most of the time.

The Tecumseh on my 25+ year old one always started easily unless I left gas in it over the winter. Cleaning the carb of the gunk was hard. Anyway, about 5 or 6 years ago I started the engine and it went off governor and literally blew the piston rod out the side of the engine. I replaced it with the new equivalent (9.5hp?) and just like the old one, it starts on the first or second pull every time. I have the electric start which I used when we lived in MA because it was stored outside in the cold most of the time.

Hey I always store all my equipment filled up and stabilizer added so its always ready to go. The most important one is the generator and in case I'm not home the wife can just pull it out. Hook it up and fire it up.

So I went out at 2:30 and spent about an hour + and cleared the driveway. Came in and warmed up and watch the last 30 minutes of an Orson Wells movie and warmed up, went over to my friends house and hot the s*** for about an hour. Now we have about 2" more. Pulled both vehicles down to the curb. I do not endorse snow, only tolerate it. Will probably have the Ariens out tomorrow after work.

Archived