TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CS/6 - CS/8 History request

richstang

Hi Everyone,

I was browsing this forum looking for some basic history / facts but I really didn't find many answers. Can anyone who is knowledgable about them write up a brief outline / timeline. My current understanding is the CS/6 was first only offered as a DIY package for the V6 Mustang. Later the CS/8 was offered for the V8 GT Mustang. At some point they were offered from Shelby as a built post title conversion instead of just a DIY kit or parts.

My curiosity started when I noticed there are different side stripes / logos on some of these cars. I have seen a legend lime car with text "CS6-X" and the CS logo above it in the side stripe. I have seen many cars with the text "SHELBY" and the CS logo above it in the side stripes. Then more recently, I have seen some cars with the text "SHELBY" and a Cobra snake logo above it. Do these logos/ text help to identify the engine, package, or a Shelby built car? I hope this isn't a gritty question. I'm just looking to learn more about them.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

I was browsing this forum looking for some basic history / facts but I really didn't find many answers. Can anyone who is knowledgable about them write up a brief outline / timeline. My current understanding is the CS/6 was first only offered as a DIY package for the V6 Mustang. Later the CS/8 was offered for the V8 GT Mustang. At some point they were offered from Shelby as a built post title conversion instead of just a DIY kit or parts.

My curiosity started when I noticed there are different side stripes / logos on some of these cars. I have seen a legend lime car with text "CS6-X" and the CS logo above it in the side stripe. I have seen many cars with the text "SHELBY" and the CS logo above it in the side stripes. Then more recently, I have seen some cars with the text "SHELBY" and a Cobra snake logo above it. Do these logos/ text help to identify the engine, package, or a Shelby built car? I hope this isn't a gritty question. I'm just looking to learn more about them.

The CS6 was initialy to be the first CSM mustang from SAI but through (IMO) unfortunate circumstances, was sold as a "entusisiat kit" with no CSM#.

The concept CS6 sidestripe was silver and had a COBRA logo with supercharged under it and had SHELBY text down the side. The production model changed the Cobra logo to the CS logo. All Shelby CS6 sidestripes were only available in SILVER.

By the CS6 being an "Enthusiats Kit" and not having a CSM# you would have the freedom to deviate or modify from the original platform. There only a handful of CS6/CS8 around.

The Legend Lime CS is mine. I have a 90% stage 1 CS6. I did not get the razor wheels and have not purchased the Shelby brake kit (as of yet, 2k is pretty stout).I call my CS a CS6-X because I went with a different supercharger.My sidestripe is custom and reflects the difference between an original CS6. I have made many modifications that are custom designed by me to stand out from all other mustangs.

Don't know if this helps or not, I'm sure others will chime in.

The CS6 was initialy to be the first CSM mustang from SAI but through (IMO) unfortunate circumstances, was sold as a "entusisiat kit" with no CSM#.

The concept CS6 sidestripe was silver and had a COBRA logo with supercharged under it and had SHELBY text down the side. The production model changed the Cobra logo to the CS logo. All Shelby CS6 sidestripes were only available in SILVER.

By the CS6 being an "Enthusiats Kit" and not having a CSM# you would have the freedom to deviate or modify from the original platform. There only a handful of CS6/CS8 around.

The Legend Lime CS is mine. I have a 90% stage 1 CS6. I did not get the razor wheels and have not purchased the Shelby brake kit (as of yet, 2k is pretty stout).I call my CS a CS6-X because I went with a different supercharger.My sidestripe is custom and reflects the difference between an original CS6. I have made many modifications that are custom designed by me to stand out from all other mustangs.

Don't know if this helps or not, I'm sure others will chime in.

Thanks "LL CS6" for your reply. It is a good start for the history. As you said, hopefully others will chime in.

I knew the early kits were not given CSM #'s but I was not sure about the Shelby built conversions or when they started the CS/8 version. Also, I didn't know they only offered silver stripes. I've have a picture of a yellow CS/6 with black stripes and black razors post-31184-0-67028200-1293675361_thumb.jpg and some other color stripes on CS cars as well. I assume this photo is of the concept car. post-31184-0-65459600-1293675254_thumb.jpg. There is a medium silver car that also has the snake logo on it. post-31184-0-33616000-1293675317_thumb.jpg. Almost all the cars I have images of have the "CS" logo and "SHELBY" letters as you mentioned.

Your Legend Lime is very sharp. I understand the finances can be an issue when making upgrades. It doesn't matter as long as you enjoy your car. You can always add on to it later if and when your ready.

post-31184-0-65459600-1293675254_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-33616000-1293675317_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-67028200-1293675361_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Heres a few links with some additional information, I also have a magazine featuring the CS6 also, hope it helps

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/news0042shelbycs6.php

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/shelby/2006-shelby-cs-6-ar6904.html

http://www.rsportscars.com/ford/2006-ford-shelby-cs-6-mustang/

Thanks "LL CS6" for your reply. It is a good start for the history. As you said, hopefully others will chime in.

I knew the early kits were not given CSM #'s but I was not sure about the Shelby built conversions or when they started the CS/8 version. Also, I didn't know they only offered silver stripes. I've have a picture of a yellow CS/6 with black stripes and black razors Shelby yellow CS6 coupe a.jpg and some other color stripes on CS cars as well. I assume this photo is of the concept car. Shelby blue CS6 coupe e.jpg. There is a medium silver car that also has the snake logo on it. Shelby CS8 silver a.JPG. Almost all the cars I have images of have the "CS" logo and "SHELBY" letters as you mentioned.

Your Legend Lime is very sharp. I understand the finances can be an issue when making upgrades. It doesn't matter as long as you enjoy your car. You can always add on to it later if and when your ready.

Slimer is a very nice vehicle indeed - I hope to see it up close and personal one day.

You have your history a little backwards though....the earliest CS cars were built by SAI and have CSM's (as far as I can tell they are mainly owned by SAI employees - when I was in Vegas the Prototype (the blue car in your images) was there along with the grey one you show (it was for sale, presumably by an SAI employee). After SAI agreed to build the GT-H they did not have the time or inclination to continue the CS program in house so released it as a self build kit (Turn1, appearance only & Turn2, appearance and performance) or as individual pieces (the biggest peeve of mine as a lot of people that knock the CS's have CS parts on their cars - also the reason why genuine CS owners cannot get some parts for spares (the PIAA lights for example)).

As far as I know the stripes were available in black (for light coloured cars) and silver (for dark coloured cars).

The side stripe differences (snake vs CS) come down to prototype (or copies of) vs. production - I had read somewhere that the snake was deemed to be too big and was swapped for the CS logo.

The last data I had was that there are 16 registered CS6's and 9 registered CS8's (on the Shelby registry as completed builds). The registry doesn't break this down to coupe vs. convertoble (easy to identify through the VIN) or Turn1 vs. Turn2 (again easy to do by cross checking receipts that are required to register). I have started a CS6/8 owners group on facebook so if any others are reading this and have a registred CS let's fill the gaps left by the registry information.

Hope this helps a little.

Larry - do you have spare copies of those magazines or can you tell me publication/month & year information so I can try to get copies please?

Also I'm desperately wanting the CS6 info sheet from SAI at the time they were building them and any SEMA material on the CS6 - O want my baby to have as much history as possible :).

Larry...Thanks for posting the links on the CS/6 packages. There's some great info there.

UK Pony....Thanks for the added info and corrected history. This clears up my question about the snake logo vs the CS logo cars.

I didn't realize the first car (and few others after) were built by SAI with CSM #s. Do you know if they were '05 or '06 models? I always thought these were only available as full kits or parts.

Were the CS/8 kits offered about a year later in '06 or '07?

15 registered cars is a low number. I have saved images of about 16 diferent CS cars not including the blue prototype. I'm guessing some of them are not the full kits which is what your tracking with your registry.

Here's a few pictures I've found on the web for a silver coupe that appears to have gray stripes.

post-31184-0-32483800-1293759059_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-79758300-1293758664_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-23965100-1293759101_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-62364100-1293758691_thumb.jpg

Anyone else care to add some more info please fell free to jump in here.

post-31184-0-79758300-1293758664_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-62364100-1293758691_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-32483800-1293759059_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-23965100-1293759101_thumb.jpg

I took a closer look at the pic of the yellow coupe you posted - it doesn't have the CS6 front bumper and the stripes are black as opposed to charcoal (I stand corrected on my initial information - I did some digging and found it was charcoal metallic not black) so I doubt it's a completed car and therefore not on the registry.

The other two coupes appear to be complete builds. It would be interesting to see the 16 images you have in one spot so we can have a photo registry :).

I took a closer look at the pic of the yellow coupe you posted - it doesn't have the CS6 front bumper and the stripes are black as opposed to charcoal (I stand corrected on my initial information - I did some digging and found it was charcoal metallic not black) so I doubt it's a completed car and therefore not on the registry.

The other two coupes appear to be complete builds. It would be interesting to see the 16 images you have in one spot so we can have a photo registry :).

I think many picutres are from this TS forum. I'd be glad to post them all as long as nobody would be offended if it was their car. With the 500k limit per post it may take a dozen posts to put all the pics I have up. I'll start with a full list and fill in photos as requested. It would be great if we could get a sticky for just pictures here. :dance:

1 Black coupe silver stripes silver or chrome razors parked in front of SAI HQ

2 Black Coupe silver stripes gray razors, 4 pics

3 Black Conv silver stripesgray razors, gt fog lights added to CS grill, 4 pics

4 Blue Conv silverstripes gray razors from TS 4 pics

5 Blue Coupe silver stripes Proto? with snake logo in silver side stripes, chrome razors, 6 pics

6 Blue Coupe silver stripes gray razors, hillbank logo on rear window, GT fender emblem, and 85th w/CS sig on door in large logo, 2 pics

7 Blue coupe silver stripes, gray razors, my 2 pics from Carlisle 09?

8 Medium silver Coupe, silver stripes, gray razors, custom headlights, cutsom rear spoiler,10 pics from ebay? 2 more from car show on web

9 Medium silver Coupe, silver stripes with snake logo, chrome razors 2 pics

10 Grabber orange coupe, silver stripes, 5 spoke CS wheel, 1 photo

11 Dark gray coupe, silver stripes, optional CS rims, 3 photo form Mustang World, 3 from Mustang Monthly- there were more on the MM site.

12 Legend Lime, black stripes LL6 CS larry car 1 photo

13 Red Conv, silver stripes optional CS rims, 2 photos

14 Red Conv, silver gray stripes, custon hood and rear spoiler, gray razors 3 pics

15 Red Coupe, silver stripes, gray razors, 1 pic

16 Redfire coupe, silver stripes, gray razors, TS member, 1 pic

17 Silver coupe, gray stripes, car posted above 10 pics

18 Silver coupe white stripes, 3 pics

19 White conv gold stripes over top only TS member 3 pics

20 Yellow coupe black stripes, 1 pic above

Slimer is a very nice vehicle indeed - I hope to see it up close and personal one day.

You have your history a little backwards though....the earliest CS cars were built by SAI and have CSM's (as far as I can tell they are mainly owned by SAI employees - when I was in Vegas the Prototype (the blue car in your images) was there along with the grey one you show (it was for sale, presumably by an SAI employee). After SAI agreed to build the GT-H they did not have the time or inclination to continue the CS program in house so released it as a self build kit (Turn1, appearance only & Turn2, appearance and performance) or as individual pieces (the biggest peeve of mine as a lot of people that knock the CS's have CS parts on their cars - also the reason why genuine CS owners cannot get some parts for spares (the PIAA lights for example)).

As far as I know the stripes were available in black (for light coloured cars) and silver (for dark coloured cars).

The side stripe differences (snake vs CS) come down to prototype (or copies of) vs. production - I had read somewhere that the snake was deemed to be too big and was swapped for the CS logo.

The last data I had was that there are 16 registered CS6's and 9 registered CS8's (on the Shelby registry as completed builds). The registry doesn't break this down to coupe vs. convertoble (easy to identify through the VIN) or Turn1 vs. Turn2 (again easy to do by cross checking receipts that are required to register). I have started a CS6/8 owners group on facebook so if any others are reading this and have a registred CS let's fill the gaps left by the registry information.

Hope this helps a little.

Larry - do you have spare copies of those magazines or can you tell me publication/month & year information so I can try to get copies please?

Also I'm desperately wanting the CS6 info sheet from SAI at the time they were building them and any SEMA material on the CS6 - O want my baby to have as much history as possible :).

The magazines you are looking for are

5,0 mustang and super fords --- Comparo of the GT-H and CS-6 featured on the cover

5.0 mustang and super fords --- CS8 featured on the cover

It appear that the kits are still available on the net

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/0709-shelby-cs6-upgrade-package-40l-turn-2brfree-shipping-limited-time-offer-p-981.html

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/0506-shelby-cs8-upgrade-package-46l-turn-2brfree-shipping-limited-time-offer-p-982.html

I would trade the 5.0 mustang and super fords --- CS8 featured on the cover, as I am looking for SAAC club magazine with the GT-H on the cover, I also have many others with GT500KR, GT500 Supersnake, Shelby GT for trade also if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps

I think many picutres are from this TS forum. I'd be glad to post them all as long as nobody would be offended if it was their car. With the 500k limit per post it may take a dozen posts to put all the pics I have up. I'll start with a full list and fill in photos as requested. It would be great if we could get a sticky for just pictures here. :dance:

1 Black coupe silver stripes silver or chrome razors parked in front of SAI HQ

2 Black Coupe silver stripes gray razors, 4 pics

3 Black Conv silver stripesgray razors, gt fog lights added to CS grill, 4 pics

4 Blue Conv silverstripes gray razors from TS 4 pics - My car, no problem with posting pics (Turn2)

5 Blue Coupe silver stripes Proto? with snake logo in silver side stripes, chrome razors, 6 pics

6 Blue Coupe silver stripes gray razors, hillbank logo on rear window, GT fender emblem, and 85th w/CS sig on door in large logo, 2 pics - Sounds like Jason's CS8 (Turn2)

7 Blue coupe silver stripes, gray razors, my 2 pics from Carlisle 09?

8 Medium silver Coupe, silver stripes, gray razors, custom headlights, cutsom rear spoiler,10 pics from ebay? 2 more from car show on web

9 Medium silver Coupe, silver stripes with snake logo, chrome razors 2 pics

10 Grabber orange coupe, silver stripes, 5 spoke CS wheel, 1 photo

11 Dark gray coupe, silver stripes, optional CS rims, 3 photo form Mustang World, 3 from Mustang Monthly- there were more on the MM site.

12 Legend Lime, black stripes LL6 CS larry car 1 photo - Sounds like Slimer (IIRC 90% Turn1 with an x-charger..sadly not a registered car)

13 Red Conv, silver stripes optional CS rims, 2 photos

14 Red Conv, silver gray stripes, custon hood and rear spoiler, gray razors 3 pics - be interesting to see this one. again it may not be an actual registered CS

15 Red Coupe, silver stripes, gray razors, 1 pic

16 Redfire coupe, silver stripes, gray razors, TS member, 1 pic - Sounds like Kevin's CS8, Turn1

17 Silver coupe, gray stripes, car posted above 10 pics

18 Silver coupe white stripes, 3 pics

19 White conv gold stripes over top only TS member 3 pics - Now has full charcoal stripe package, I doubt Randy will have any issues with you posting the pics. (Turn2)

20 Yellow coupe black stripes, 1 pic above - as before thinking this isn't a completed, registered CS, though I will happily stand corrected

Nice to see a list like that - I've commented on ones I recognise right away.

My 2 cents on posting the pics - if the owners really objected to pics of their cars being on-line they wouldn't have posted them on the web in the first place...I wouldn't worry about reposting them.

The magazines you are looking for are

5,0 mustang and super fords --- Comparo of the GT-H and CS-6 featured on the cover

5.0 mustang and super fords --- CS8 featured on the cover

It appear that the kits are still available on the net

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/0709-shelby-cs6-upgrade-package-40l-turn-2brfree-shipping-limited-time-offer-p-981.html

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/0506-shelby-cs8-upgrade-package-46l-turn-2brfree-shipping-limited-time-offer-p-982.html

I would trade the 5.0 mustang and super fords --- CS8 featured on the cover, as I am looking for SAAC club magazine with the GT-H on the cover, I also have many others with GT500KR, GT500 Supersnake, Shelby GT for trade also if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps

Larry, what's the date of that CS6/GT-H comparo edition? I tried to find it on 5.0's website and it doesn't come up - I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that.

Nice to see a list like that - I've commented on ones I recognise right away.

My 2 cents on posting the pics - if the owners really objected to pics of their cars being on-line they wouldn't have posted them on the web in the first place...I wouldn't worry about reposting them.

Alight then since I have alot of time this evening here's the first post with pics of the 2 black coupes and 1 black conv. Also let me know if the image names are identified incorrectly as a CS/6 or CS/8.

1 post-31184-0-05340400-1293832426_thumb.jpg

2 post-31184-0-09642200-1293832491_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-80251500-1293832503_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-68411100-1293832621_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-49565600-1293832641_thumb.jpg

3 post-31184-0-92282000-1293832711_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-00669100-1293832769_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-28081300-1293832788_thumb.jpg I belive this car was listed on ebay last year.

post-31184-0-05340400-1293832426_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-09642200-1293832491_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-80251500-1293832503_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-68411100-1293832621_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-49565600-1293832641_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-92282000-1293832711_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-00669100-1293832769_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-28081300-1293832788_thumb.jpg

Alight then since I have alot of time this evening here's the first post with pics of the 2 black coupes and 1 black conv. Also let me know if the image names are identified incorrectly as a CS/6 or CS/8.

1 post-31184-0-05340400-1293832426_thumb.jpg

2 post-31184-0-09642200-1293832491_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-80251500-1293832503_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-68411100-1293832621_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-49565600-1293832641_thumb.jpg

3 post-31184-0-92282000-1293832711_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-00669100-1293832769_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-28081300-1293832788_thumb.jpg I belive this car was listed on ebay last year.

post-31184-0-43773300-1293833172_thumb.jpg

your blue conv

4 post-31184-0-49160700-1293833189_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-18762500-1293833204_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-08801600-1293833222_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-05340400-1293832426_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-09642200-1293832491_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-80251500-1293832503_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-68411100-1293832621_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-49565600-1293832641_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-92282000-1293832711_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-00669100-1293832769_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-28081300-1293832788_thumb.jpg

The only two stripe colours offered were silver for dark cars and charcoal for light cars.

If any other colours were produced they are aftermarket and not from SAI.

The other question that was asked regarding the Tiffany Snake as opposed to the CS side logo.

From what I understand there was an issue using the Snake as Ford owns the rights to it and not SAI.

If the car would have moved forward as a part of the Ford stable, the snake probably would have stayed.

Larry...Thanks for posting the links on the CS/6 packages. There's some great info there.

UK Pony....Thanks for the added info and corrected history. This clears up my question about the snake logo vs the CS logo cars.

I didn't realize the first car (and few others after) were built by SAI with CSM #s. Do you know if they were '05 or '06 models? I always thought these were only available as full kits or parts.

Were the CS/8 kits offered about a year later in '06 or '07?

15 registered cars is a low number. I have saved images of about 16 diferent CS cars not including the blue prototype. I'm guessing some of them are not the full kits which is what your tracking with your registry.

Here's a few pictures I've found on the web for a silver coupe that appears to have gray stripes.

post-31184-0-32483800-1293759059_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-79758300-1293758664_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-23965100-1293759101_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-62364100-1293758691_thumb.jpg

Anyone else care to add some more info please fell free to jump in here.

The original prototype was a 2006 V6 coupe that was shown at Sema 2005

My 2006 turn II convertible was featured in April 2009 in Mustang Enthusiast magazine which you can archive on their site.

I originally had the gold stripes on the car which had the old school size and spacing just for a little nostalgia.

Last year I installed the factory charcoal CS6 stripe kit to officially complete the turn II kit.

I didn't think the colour would suit the vehicle which is why I held off with the install however the contrast turned out to be a very pleasant surprise.

11 These first 3 pics are from Mustang World (I hope this isn't a issue) post-31184-0-55357800-1293839053_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-70431800-1293839069_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-56596400-1293839098_thumb.jpg

11 These were from Mustang Monthly Magazine's web site There are more pics there (Again, I hope this isn't an issue) post-31184-0-12029200-1293839288_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-66573800-1293839350_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-67454700-1293839372_thumb.jpg

12 post-31184-0-26110900-1293839459_thumb.jpg

13 post-31184-0-28734100-1293839525_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-43235700-1293839554_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-12029200-1293839288_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-66573800-1293839350_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-67454700-1293839372_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-26110900-1293839459_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-28734100-1293839525_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-43235700-1293839554_thumb.jpg

My 2006 turn II convertible was featured in April 2008 in Mustang Enthusiast magazine which you can archive on their site.

I originally had the gold stripes on the car which had the old school size and spacing just for a little nostalgia.

Last year I installed the factory charcoal CS6 stripe kit to officially complete the turn II kit.

I didn't think the colour would suit the vehicle which is why I held off with the install however the contrast turned out to be a very pleasant surprise.

Thanks for the all the added info "Shelby CS6"!

If the prototype was a 2006 shown in SEMA Nov 2005 does that mean the CS/8 was unvieled in SEMA Nov 2006?

Your featured car in the "Mustang Enthuisast" magazine was in April 2009 on the website archive (not 2008, for those who want to check it out).

The gold stripes on your CS/6 look/lookeded great but I think having the correct stripe kit was definately the way to go. I bet it looks great with the charcoal stripes. Do you have any photo's of your updated car you can share with us?

Archived