TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Detroit Rocker Cams vs FRPP Hot Rod Cams

Along with porting and polishing my stock heads, what cams do you like better and would be a better option? Brenspeed's Detroit Rocker Cams, or FRPP's Hot rod cams? I know there are other cams that generate more hp but they require new springs and are way more $. Brenspeed's new detroit rocker cams promise 25-40 hp gains. I also think I like the sound of the detroit rockers better than the hot rods. Just looking for some other thoughts and opinions. :salute:

hmm..yes i want to go with one of those 2 options. or somethin similar. i been thinkin of the FRPP Hot Rod cams for long time.

i assume that the engine will need new tune program if we replace the stock cams. Brenspeed tune with thier Detroit Rocker cams? good combo?

we want some opinions :lurk:

Along with porting and polishing my stock heads, what cams do you like better and would be a better option? Brenspeed's Detroit Rocker Cams, or FRPP's Hot rod cams? I know there are other cams that generate more hp but they require new springs and are way more $. Brenspeed's new detroit rocker cams promise 25-40 hp gains. I also think I like the sound of the detroit rockers better than the hot rods. Just looking for some other thoughts and opinions. :salute:

how do they sound better? at idle, or reving...or etc?

I would never put Brenspeed crap in my car. FRPP!

+1

I thought about it and said to myself I'd rather put a Ford Racing product in the car instead of some random mustang shops custom cams. I'm going with the FRPP Cams.

+1

I thought about it and said to myself I'd rather put a Ford Racing product in the car instead of some random mustang shops custom cams. I'm going with the FRPP Cams.

I also have the hotrod cams love the sound I even lowered my idle so its even more lopy and rocks me to sleep. :hysterical: all I need is the sweet smell of racing fuel and burnt rubber and it will be heaven !!!! Plus love when people pull next to me and hear and see the car rocking I tell them it needs a tune up then smoke my tires sideways off the line.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, some will say no, but I've heard Springer's car and it has the Hot Rod Cams and a Whipple and sounds GREAT! Guess maybe he needs to chime in here! :happy feet:

running cams like that with alot of boost is dangerous, it can lead to valve train failure. if your going to run boost you need a cam designed for boost. builds pressure better and you run less of a chance of breaking something.

if i ever go to FI im going to probably run comp cams 127550 FI cams, they sound NASTY as hell and make alot of power

I have zero technical expertise, but I'm apparently one of the few that that is presently a Detroit Rocker Cam user. All I can say is I'm happy with the product and they do what Brenspeed says they would do.

I don't have the experience to do a comparison, but here are the facts...

1. Bought the cams for around $700.00 and paid around the same for install and tune.

2. No need for springs and spacers etc.

3. Picked up 28 hp at the crank.

4. Has a real nice lopey sound...650 idle

5. Zero change in drivability...my tuner was shocked.

Two tiny downsides...

1. Fairly quiet - I was expecting more...tuner said I should consider long tube headers

2. A little more rough at idle, but not when moving.

Now, don't beat me up...I just drive the car and enjoy the car.

I have zero technical expertise, but I'm apparently one of the few that that is presently a Detroit Rocker Cam user. All I can say is I'm happy with the product and they do what Brenspeed says they would do.

1. Bought the cams for around $700.00 and paid around the same for install and tune.

Two tiny downsides...

1. Fairly quiet - I was expecting more...tuner said I should consider long tube headers

Their is a good thread on www.allfordmustangs.com about a Bullit that is FI and ran the thumpr cams, had some driveability issues so he switched to the Detroit Rockers for FI cars and the driveability really improved with out a loss of HP. IMO if you are FI you should stick with cams that are designed for FI and if you are NA then do the FRP cams. DR are on my list of wants for my FI car. Brenspeed has a great reputation and they drive what they sell.

There have been some interesting posts here, some misinformation and a lot of guessing. :salute: Hopefully I can clear some of this up. The heads on the FRPP Hot Rod 4.6L engine are the same as found on the stock 4.6L GT. In fact, the FRPP Hot Rod engine is the same as a stock engine except for the cams and valve covers. The Hot Rod engine has a great sound and the cams work great with a Whipple supercharger or without it. Over-boosting any 4.6L is a recipe for failure - unless you have upgraded to forged internals. So yes, you can use a bigger cam with the Whipple, but keep the boost at the recommended levels, which is 10-11 lbs. Do I think the cams are worth the expense? I enjoy the added performance and the nice exhaust note with the additional 25-30hp the cams bring to the engine - so, yes, they are worth the extra dollars in my opinion.

John ( GT/SC with the complete Hot Rod 4.6L engine, see my signature info below)

Their is a good thread on www.allfordmustangs.com about a Bullit that is FI and ran the thumpr cams, had some driveability issues so he switched to the Detroit Rockers for FI cars and the driveability really improved with out a loss of HP. IMO if you are FI you should stick with cams that are designed for FI and if you are NA then do the FRP cams. DR are on my list of wants for my FI car. Brenspeed has a great reputation and they drive what they sell.

I mentioned my tuner suggested long tube headers, and you have them...Is it accurate to assume we wouldn't pass emissions with them?

• 3 weeks later...

There have been some interesting posts here, some misinformation and a lot of guessing. :salute: Hopefully I can clear some of this up. The heads on the FRPP Hot Rod 4.6L engine are the same as found on the stock 4.6L GT. In fact, the FRPP Hot Rod engine is the same as a stock engine except for the cams and valve covers. The Hot Rod engine has a great sound and the cams work great with a Whipple supercharger or without it. Over-boosting any 4.6L is a recipe for failure - unless you have upgraded to forged internals. So yes, you can use a bigger cam with the Whipple, but keep the boost at the recommended levels, which is 10-11 lbs. Do I think the cams are worth the expense? I enjoy the added performance and the nice exhaust note with the additional 25-30hp the cams bring to the engine - so, yes, they are worth the extra dollars in my opinion.

John ( GT/SC with the complete Hot Rod 4.6L engine, see my signature info below)

Did you have any loss of torque or horsepower at the low end with the FRPP Hot Rod Cams compared to stock? The builder / tuner I am considering using has said that the FRPP Cams produce less at the low end?

Robert

How is it in traffic? any issues around town?

Robert, where is your builder getting his information? Has he driven a GT/SC with the Hot Rod cams? Or is he basing this on word of mouth, cam spec sheets or dyno sheets comparing the two cams installed with a Whipple? My car pulls hard from down low, and is very responsive. Is the extra 20 or 30 hp worth it? If you are looking for a throatier sound, I'd say yes. In answer to the other question about driving around town, I can't really tell any difference in driveability compared to stock cams. My dyno sheet indicates 430 lbs. torque at 3000 RPM's. At 4000 RPM's it is 490 and at 4300 RPM's it is 494. The hp is 503 at 6200 RPM's.

When I was at SA last time, I talked with Gil about the dyno numbers regarding the GT/SC conversions. Most of them dyno around 470 RWHP, give or take 5 or 10 hp either up or down. Mine dynoed at 503 RWHP. I also have the Revan Racing heat exchanger which also might help the dyno numbers. But, as we all know, there are many factors which can influence dyno numbers.

I mentioned my tuner suggested long tube headers, and you have them...Is it accurate to assume we wouldn't pass emissions with them?

My car is running LT with no cats so I am pretty sure it would not pass an emissions test.

I don't have to worry about emissions where I live so I can't speak about Long Tube with cats being able to or not being able to pass emissions. Maybe someone with some experience on this will chime in.

I would like to see the cam profiles of the comp cams stage II NSR , the Brenspeed DR for SC'd cars, and the FRP Hot Rods. None of them require cam phaser lockout, which I believe the comp thumpers do.

Thanks for the info and real world experience. You can get the FRP for $799, detroit rockers are the same and the comps are $649-$659. JPC has a rewards program when you buy from them that you can apply to your next purchase.

How tough is the install?

My car is running LT with no cats so I am pretty sure it would not pass an emissions test.

I don't have to worry about emissions where I live so I can't speak about Long Tube with cats being able to or not being able to pass emissions. Maybe someone with some experience on this will chime in.

I would like to see the cam profiles of the comp cams stage II NSR , the Brenspeed DR for SC'd cars, and the FRP Hot Rods. None of them require cam phaser lockout, which I believe the comp thumpers do.

Thanks for the info and real world experience. You can get the FRP for $799, detroit rockers are the same and the comps are $649-$659. JPC has a rewards program when you buy from them that you can apply to your next purchase.

How tough is the install?

Not a tough install for the DR according to my mechanic. I think about half a day to include the dyno and tune.

Since the install, I went with shortie headers and a FRRP race muffler.

Bottom line for less than $2,000.00 I've got the cam, the old school lope,a "little piss off the neighbors sound", another 35HP, and zero drivability issues.

I'm currently running the Blow by Racing (BBR) stage 1 cams. They are made by comp cams. They have a great sound at idle and perform very well. They do not require springs. I also got an email tune from them as well. It seens to be spot on. No issues what so ever. I have since installed several sets on other peoples cars. They are cut on a 114* CL. I installed these on a car running a paxton. The car really came alive. Getting ready to install a Edelbrock E-force on a car with these cams. Will let you know how it turns out.

Two tiny downsides...

I have shorty headers with the hotty cams and sounds nice all round !!! For the winter months I use my shelby as a mixer for my milkshakes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :koolaid:

Archived