TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Calling all experienced trackers

DaFreak

For my birthday, the wife bought me 2 high performance driving school courses + one street track day at PIR! Totally stoked and freaked at the same time as I have never raced on a track before. Can you help me prepare?

What do I need to bring? What rubber should I go with? Maybe a wheel swap? Brake cooling/ducts?

PIR is about a 2 hour drive from my home. Should I beg to borrow a buddy's hauler? Have the wife follow me up?

Also, should I purchase the special insurance in case of accident?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Regards,

DaFreak

FYI - I drive a 2010 GT500 with the FR3 handling pack, MM strut mounts & extreme LCA's, Roush UCA, Shelby Panhard rod, Hawk Ceramic brake pads, AFCO dual pass/fan HE

DSC00709.jpg

Here's a pic of the PIR layout:

PIRLayout.jpg

You will get many different replies but here is mine.

Leave your street rubber on the car. There is much to learn about the limits you car has and racing rubber will only put your further out on the edge when everything lets go and all you get is a higher speed situation than you would have with street rubber.

You have to learn how to drive your car on the track first and speed comes much later. Your car has the one liablity that GT500s all possess and that is being nose heavy. Having said that, you have also made some sound modifications to your car that will help such as the brake pads and your heat exchanger.

If you learn to drive your car in its present condition, you can add refinements as you gain more skill. I would not bother hauling your car to the track given it is a street car. Once you go to racing rubber, you will either have to do that or swap the rubber at the track.

The thing you have going for you that is immeasurable is professional instruction. You will be amazed at what these people can and will teach you.

You will have to have a helmet (not a motorcycle helmet as they do not have fire protection). If you have access to driving shoes through a friend, try them. They help greatly in your heel and toe movements.

As for insurance, I don't know about that. That is personal preference but will cost a pretty penny. When something goes wrong in one of these cars, it can go really wrong (note the far right photo in my signature -- that is 72 mph . . . sideways).

Just take your car out and let your instructor show you how to drive it. He or she will be slow and deliberate in his or her instruction so that you take away as much as possible from the experience. After that, you can modify your car in many and varied ways. My car is safety equipped to the max and I would not change any of it but it does cost a good amount and makes your car a bit less street friendly.

You are going to have a great time. Ask your instructor what changes to your car he or she would recommend.

Jim

Freak,

First, yes buy the insurance... shouldn't be more than $300-500 for the event... and it will save you big bucks just in case.

Take me for example -- about $5K out of pocket after my off track excursion at the 45th Anniversary MCA track day in April 2009. And the car was not too seriously damaged really. Pics below...

Second, be cautious of your driving on track immediately after lunch and during the last session of the day. The instructors will tell you this is when most people will overdrive their car and ability. Happened to me in the last session. Got frustrated the cars in front of me wouldn't wave me around and let the car get away from me.

Third, I agee with Clark, keep your stock tires and learn to drive it with those... you'll get plenty of speed and control from them. Your Hawk brakes will do just fine.

Lastly, go have a good time.

Keith

guardrail impression.jpg

Evidence of the action.jpg

Spinner.jpg

guardrail impression.jpg

Evidence of the action.jpg

Spinner.jpg

For my birthday, the wife bought me 2 high performance driving school courses + one street track day at PIR! Totally stoked and freaked at the same time as I have never raced on a track before. Can you help me prepare?

What do I need to bring? What rubber should I go with? Maybe a wheel swap? Brake cooling/ducts?

PIR is about a 2 hour drive from my home. Should I beg to borrow a buddy's hauler? Have the wife follow me up?

Regards,

DaFreak

FYI - I drive a 2010 GT500 with the FR3 handling pack, MM strut mounts & extreme LCA's, Roush UCA, Shelby Panhard rod, Hawk Ceramic brake pads, AFCO dual pass/fan HE

DSC00709.jpg

First off my wife says your wife made a very BIG mistake :) once you get the fever you'll have to have more

Since PIR is my home track I'm very familar with the schools they offer-

Cascade Sports Car Club or Pro Drive.

Cascade Web site http://www.cascadesportscarclub.org/training.asp?page=home

School Requirements- http://www.cascadesportscarclub.org/training.asp?page=requirements

If it's either of these school's you will be given several hours of instructions in a classroom the night before you get on the course. At that time you'll be assigned a dedicated instrutor for the day. (you can request a particular one) If it's the Cascade Club send Larry Lgs ShelbyGT a PM, he can give you the name of an instructor that he has used in the past. This guy has a great understanding of how to get the hi power Mustangs around the course safely.

Portland is a real good novice track with lots of run off, I would only consider the track insurance if your forced to run in the rain or on the wet surface. Remember your not racing but getting instructions on performance driving.

Let me know if you need any help or support, I only live 20 mins from the track and can make time to come out

If you want to let us know when your going maybe we can have a track day GTG like last March-

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54155-northwest-driving-school-hpde-track-day/

P3201390.jpg

=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I got a class with Bonduran's school. He had previously offered some personal time in my Cobra (or perhaps Ford GT by then) . After speaking with a few of the guys from the museum that drive in vintage racing, their advice was : Leave your car at home and beat the c**p out of Bondurant's cars. I'll probably still do it just so I can ride along with Bob Bondurant driving the car :)

can I drive it sideways at 72 mph in a few weeks Jim? :)

As far as the OP post, the only thing I will add is make sure you have long sleeves on your shirt and pants on.

Chris

Chris is correct. You should definitely have pants on when you track your car. :hysterical: And, Chris, no, you cannot drive it sideways at the Bash. Only I get to do that. See you soon.

Jim

I got a class with Bonduran's school. He had previously offered some personal time in my Cobra (or perhaps Ford GT by then) . After speaking with a few of the guys from the museum that drive in vintage racing, their advice was : Leave your car at home and beat the c**p out of Bondurant's cars.

Great class. Great time. Hopefully you got the 4 day Grand Prix course, if not, upgrade.

http://www.bondurant...road_racing.php

Very good advice:

Leave your car at home and beat the c**p out of Bondurant's cars.

Shoot me an email or PM when you are booked. Maybe we can meet up.

Hi-

I swapped out my brake fluid to Motul 600. this was recommended from another board member that tracks their car. never had a problem with my brakes last year and I have stock Brembo's with Hawk HP pads.

Try this insurance...http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/ for track day... it may be worth the couple hundred bucks...

Also, bring cooler, food, bevarages, etc. If you can get a garage space it'll be worth it. if outside only some guys will setup those 10 x 10 canopys.

Have fun! It is addicting....real bad... my car is at shop getting roll bar, accusump, harness, and some Griggs stuff..:))

M.

Regards,

DaFreak

DSC00709.jpg

Here's a pic of the PIR layout:

PIRLayout.jpg

Freak,

First, yes buy the insurance... shouldn't be more than $300-500 for the event... and it will save you big bucks just in case.

Take me for example -- about $5K out of pocket after my off track excursion at the 45th Anniversary MCA track day in April 2009. And the car was not too seriously damaged really. Pics below...

Second, be cautious of your driving on track immediately after lunch and during the last session of the day. The instructors will tell you this is when most people will overdrive their car and ability. Happened to me in the last session. Got frustrated the cars in front of me wouldn't wave me around and let the car get away from me.

Third, I agee with Clark, keep your stock tires and learn to drive it with those... you'll get plenty of speed and control from them. Your Hawk brakes will do just fine.

Lastly, go have a good time.

Keith

Good Advice. I remember seeing your "excursion" at Barber Motorsport and my heart was in my throat seeing the damage. I've attached a few quick pic's I snapped as you came around letting us know you were okay. I did a couple of parade laps there with my club from the Mach1 Registry but only hit about 80 mph by "dragging" behind and playing catchup.

I don't have the cojones (or deep enough pockets) to put my Shelby on the track but I admire those willing to try. Another great opportunity to get hours of track time and have a blast is the 24-Hours of Lemons series. A group of us have done it the last couple of years using a 1988 Mustang LX with 2.3 motor. Our car was featured in Mustang Monthly last year (April 2010). Most all the driving schools are a blast and as said above, you get to beat on someone else's car (LOL). :salute:

DSC_1611.JPG

DSC_1612.JPG

DSC_1613.JPG

DSC_1611.JPG

DSC_1612.JPG

DSC_1613.JPG

It's nice to see another wife knows what her man likes, little does she realize that there is no turning back once you get the race fever in you from some track time.

Back in 1995 my wife bought me a 3 day high performance class at Bob Bondurant in Arizona beating on the Fox body Mustang GTs. It was the greatest experience I've had, since then I've become an instructor

for the Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs instrucing high speed autocross.

A couple critical safety features you must do before going to the track:

1. Make sure you start the day with new front brake pads, these heavy cars are tough on front pads, I've gone through a set of race pads in a single weekend several times.

2. Check your rotors for spider cracking, replace if they look heavily cracked. I always have a spare front and rear rotor with me at the track.

3. Bleed your brake lines on all four corners. Replace the DOT 3 fluid with some higher temperature fluid, I use Motul 660, non-synthetic.

4. I always tell my students to do your homework before going to a new track. Get online and google the track for videos of others driving the track race line. This will give you a feel for where you need to be when entering and exiting corners. Usually there will be a narrative from an experienced racer telling how he drives the track. Very helpful.

5. Do the first couple of sessions with full traction control on, then gradually turn it off as the day goes on.

Go have fun, don't over drive your own abilities and always respect the power the GT500 has.

Youre sure they'' let you drive your car,right--here at Road Atlanta we have to use their cars (Porsches). Get the insurance--if you wreck its on you,your insurance wont cover it.Practice heel/toe driving before you get there,rather than waste time learning it at the track,unless you laready know how to drive that way--have fun--bob

Hawk Ceramic pads are ok for a track day? :headscratch:

Good question, maybe OK for the first day out.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/ceramic.php

The first day out your busy learning lots of things about your car and driving line that optumium brakes and tires are not as important.

If you have them you may want to consider reinstalling the the original pads that came in the Brembo's so you don't hurt your regular street pads.

But before you go back for the 2 time you may want to consider a few upgrades like a set of HP + in all 4 corners

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hpplus.php

Wow, thanks guys for the all the great information. It's amazing how much you can learn and get's shared here. Good stuff.

As for the the ceramic pads, I picked up and installed the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads to cut down on the dust but will happily change based off your advice.

Regards,

DaFreak

First off my wife says your wife made a very BIG mistake :) once you get the fever you'll have to have more

Since PIR is my home track I'm very familar with the schools they offer-

Cascade Sports Car Club or Pro Drive.

Cascade Web site http://www.cascadesportscarclub.org/training.asp?page=home

School Requirements- http://www.cascadesportscarclub.org/training.asp?page=requirements

If it's either of these school's you will be given several hours of instructions in a classroom the night before you get on the course. At that time you'll be assigned a dedicated instrutor for the day. (you can request a particular one) If it's the Cascade Club send Larry Lgs ShelbyGT a PM, he can give you the name of an instructor that he has used in the past. This guy has a great understanding of how to get the hi power Mustangs around the course safely.

Portland is a real good novice track with lots of run off, I would only consider the track insurance if your forced to run in the rain or on the wet surface. Remember your not racing but getting instructions on performance driving.

Let me know if you need any help or support, I only live 20 mins from the track and can make time to come out

If you want to let us know when your going maybe we can have a track day GTG like last March-

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54155-northwest-driving-school-hpde-track-day/

P3201390.jpg

=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hi Kerry,

I am going to the Pro Drive school. I'm glad to hear the course is good for the novice too being the Greenhorn and all :)

I have 4 days to choose from (May - Sept) and will likely schedule as we get closer so I can have a better bead on the weather. As soon as I schedule something I'll let you know.

Regards,

DaFreak

Hi Kerry,

I am going to the Pro Drive school. I'm glad to hear the course is good for the novice too being the Greenhorn and all :)

I have 4 days to choose from (May - Sept) and will likely schedule as we get closer so I can have a better bead on the weather. As soon as I schedule something I'll let you know.

Regards,

DaFreak

Sounds good- after you get the 2 schools under your belt we can plan a GTG around "The Street Car Track Day"

I like the sound of this for $199!!!

The Street Car Track Day

No sessions – Go on track when you want, as much as you want!

Qualifications must include at least one of the following:

*Signed off for solo lapping by a car club (i.e. Porsche Club, BMW, Cascade Sports Car Club)

*Successful completion of two Pro Drive High Performance Driving Courses with solo lapping credentials

*Graduate of an accredited racing course at a professional racing school (i.e. Pro Drive, ProFormance, SkipBarber)

*Hold a valid competition racing license (i.e. SCCA, ICSCC, Grand Am, NASA)

All very good advice. I ran PIR in a torrential day-long rain last year. Was fun to run in the rain, as it really raises the level of awareness and your intuitive feel for the car. That said, the one place to be careful is transitioning from the kink back to the straight. It abruptly changes from concrete to asphalt, and with our high powered, rear drive cars, especially in boost, its easy to snap the ass end around on that transition. Go moderate throttle until you're on the asphalt and then squeeze the throttle hard. You will have a BLAST!

All very good advice. I ran PIR in a torrential day-long rain last year. Was fun to run in the rain, as it really raises the level of awareness and your intuitive feel for the car. That said, the one place to be careful is transitioning from the kink back to the straight. It abruptly changes from concrete to asphalt, and with our high powered, rear drive cars, especially in boost, its easy to snap the ass end around on that transition. Go moderate throttle until you're on the asphalt and then squeeze the throttle hard. You will have a BLAST!

as front end heavy as these cars are,Id think theyd have some oversteer issues going into hard corneres,in transitions like you describe---do they

as front end heavy as these cars are,Id think theyd have some oversteer issues going into hard corneres,in tansitions like you describe---do they

I haven't tracked my car with stock suspension, so I can't comment. I have the FRPP handling pack which really balances the car nicely and makes it very stable for what it is. I have since upgraded my rear-end suspension with a variety of Griggs components that has really made the rear, and the car overall, much more predictable. it's not an inherent oversteer issue that is the problem (ie, the fox body cars), its more the unpredictability of the rear. Something benign can upset the rear depending on conditions and power applied, and then when it goes it goes. In my opinion, the thing that really contributes to the unpredictability of the rear is the car's massive power. If you drive smart, know the limits of the car, use the throttle to keep you smooth, and don't get into boost too hard too soon, the car does surprisingly well for what it is. That said, suspension upgrades help out tremendously, at least on the 07-09s, and my car the way it is set up is very predictable. It's hard to believe it will plant itself in the corners at the speeds it does. It's freakin awesome!

Thanks for the tip Cluscher! Anything to keep the Shelby out of the body shop is appreciated! :)

DaFreak

Sounds good- after you get the 2 schools under your belt we can plan a GTG around "The Street Car Track Day"

I like the sound of this for $199!!!

The Street Car Track Day

No sessions – Go on track when you want, as much as you want!

Qualifications must include at least one of the following:

*Signed off for solo lapping by a car club (i.e. Porsche Club, BMW, Cascade Sports Car Club)

*Successful completion of two Pro Drive High Performance Driving Courses with solo lapping credentials

*Graduate of an accredited racing course at a professional racing school (i.e. Pro Drive, ProFormance, SkipBarber)

*Hold a valid competition racing license (i.e. SCCA, ICSCC, Grand Am, NASA)

Sounds like Fun Kerry! I'll keep you in the loop. Maybe Aug or so.

DaFreak

Archived