TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT or Boss 302?

sgt1020

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

me too, maybe I'll see you there at the shelby booth!

I think Shelby got enough volunteers lined up for their booth, I may have to go as a spectator.

But hey, who doesn't want to walk around the show all day? :)

I am thinking of going during the week so I can see the cars instead of other people.

Looks definitely go to the SGT...........

Performance goes to the Boss.........

Of course you cannot do anything with

the Fugly Rear End on the Boss so just

modify the SGT to outperform and there

you go......................... :hysterical:

+1

I like the engine and trans of the new GT's and Boss 302's but the rear end is so ugly it would be hard to overlook. The SGT is by far the best looking mustang ever built!

+1

I like the engine and trans of the new GT's and Boss 302's but the rear end is so ugly it would be hard to overlook. The SGT is by far the best looking mustang ever built!

Except of course the more awesome looking 07-09 GT500s!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yes".................... :happy feet:

Looks definitely go to the SGT...........

Performance goes to the Boss.........

Of course you cannot do anything with

the Fugly Rear End on the Boss so just

modify the SGT to outperform and there

you go......................... :hysterical:

You got me thinking.....

Anyone that does not like the rear end of the Boss but buys one can

back into every parking spot (and garage) so they don't see the rear end when they

get back in the car.

Nice right?

You got me thinking.....

Anyone that does not like the rear end of the Boss but buys one can

back into every parking spot (and garage) so they don't see the rear end when they

get back in the car.

Nice right?

Or better yet, install the current Saleen "SMS" rear end kit and "BINGO"!!!!!!!!!!! Problem solved.......... :happy feet:

Test drove a 5.0 today. It drove great! Had a lot more pick up and go than the 4.6. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was so damn quiet! Even when I downshifted and put the pedal to the floor it took off like a bat out of hell but it was like it was an electric car. The stock exhaust had a decent note to it, but there was literally no sound from that motor. I love how my SGT's 4.6 ROARS when you get on it. But other than the 5.0 being extremely quiet, it drove extremely smooth. VERY smooth. I liked it, but I prefer my loud, (Soon to be really loud) 4.6. With the mods I'm doing, and being about 600lbs lighter than the 5.0, my SGT will be able to out run a 5.0.

If someone is looking for a great long distance, everyday driver, comfortable car then the 5.0 is great! Too smooth and quiet for my taste.

:salute:

Well, on December 10th, we picked up our 2007 Shelby GT. By then, the Boss had been announced and was ready to order. We had a chance to drive our Shelby GT late last summer, and it was a blast.

Our friends that we bought it from did quite a bit of work to it, and supposedly as it now stands, JDM dyno'd it at 375 RWHP - not bad for a NA engine. I'm thinking I'll be adding the new FRPP intake manifold, which Jim at JDM told my friend should get me at least to 400 RWHP. At some point I will dyno it myself to see what I come up with. I want to keep it NA to save on the weight.

By my calculations, our Shelby GT weighs 300-350 lbs less than the new Boss. With a set of 18" racing wheels & tires, I should be able to start tearing up the tracks. I guess it's done quite well on the 20" Razors and Nitto 555's, but the new rubber should make it even better.

And this car will lead to us selling the GT500, since in order to get that dialed in to what I want, it's gonna take a lot more money. I've had fun running it in some autocross events, but the Shelby GT is gonna be a LOT more fun I'm sure.

Pic is when our friends owned it. Those yellow corners are coming out as soon as the weather warms up a bit, and ALL the lights except headlights are getting a change to clear/chrome. The garage is pretty cold right now.

post-25829-0-83004200-1295649148_thumb.jpg

post-25829-0-83004200-1295649148_thumb.jpg

Nice to see someone else sees where I'm coming from. Yes the Shelby will never be a boss 302 but it's just another "mustang". It's kind of like when ford did the Bullitt mustang. That was limited production. Shelby is a racing/automotive legend, the name "Shelby" has a prestige that can not be matched. There will always be a newer faster car out there. But I'll always love my Shelby for what it is. Who knows, one day when Carroll is gone (God bless him' hope he lives to be 200) and Shelby stops producing cars, we Shelby owners will be the lucky ones. Ford will always make another "newer" "better" mustang. Making a long story short, I'd rather have something not many people have. Something special and a Shelby is just that. :salute:

That hits the nail on the head. In fact today I pulled mine out for a little drive, and I was just looking at that dash plaque and and thinking to myself that I have waited many years just to see that exact word within my grasp, SHELBY! A dream of mine came true, small to some large to others. But its my dream and its fulfilled. :happy feet:

That hits the nail on the head. In fact today I pulled mine out for a little drive, and I was just looking at that dash plaque and and thinking to myself that I have waited many years just to see that exact word within my grasp, SHELBY! A dream of mine came true, small to some large to others. But its my dream and its fulfilled. :happy feet:

If you look at it from outside the Shelby family,

A person that has neither a SGT or a BOSS 302 has a choice of spending

$40K for a BOSS or under $30K for a lightly used SGT.

For $40K you get 444 hp, for $30K you get 319 hp.

And then mod to your hearts content.

:shift:

If you look at it from outside the Shelby family,

A person that has neither a SGT or a BOSS 302 has a choice of spending

$40K for a BOSS or under $30K for a lightly used SGT.

For $40K you get 444 hp, for $30K you get 319 hp.

And then mod to your hearts content.

:shift:

I am lucky, in my case it was $21,700 with 2,700 miles. So I feel that I get more bang for "less" buck! But I certainly see that point, just grateful for what I have and being part of a small automotive club!

NO BOSS FOR ME IT NEEDS SOME NEW GRAPHICS TO EVEN GET ME TO LOOK AT IT. I LOVE MY GT/SC AND THE BOSS JUST DOE NOT HAVE ANYTHING GOING FOR IT EXCEPT THE ENGINE AND THE TRACK PACKAGE ; NOTHING THAT MY GT/SC CAN NOT HANDLE AND LEAVE IN THE DUST. IMHO

SCOTTY :peelout::peelout::peelout::peelout:

Well, on December 10th, we picked up our 2007 Shelby GT. By then, the Boss had been announced and was ready to order. We had a chance to drive our Shelby GT late last summer, and it was a blast.

Our friends that we bought it from did quite a bit of work to it, and supposedly as it now stands, JDM dyno'd it at 375 RWHP - not bad for a NA engine. I'm thinking I'll be adding the new FRPP intake manifold, which Jim at JDM told my friend should get me at least to 400 RWHP. At some point I will dyno it myself to see what I come up with. I want to keep it NA to save on the weight.

By my calculations, our Shelby GT weighs 300-350 lbs less than the new Boss. With a set of 18" racing wheels & tires, I should be able to start tearing up the tracks. I guess it's done quite well on the 20" Razors and Nitto 555's, but the new rubber should make it even better.

And this car will lead to us selling the GT500, since in order to get that dialed in to what I want, it's gonna take a lot more money. I've had fun running it in some autocross events, but the Shelby GT is gonna be a LOT more fun I'm sure.

Pic is when our friends owned it. Those yellow corners are coming out as soon as the weather warms up a bit, and ALL the lights except headlights are getting a change to clear/chrome. The garage is pretty cold right now.

Nice wheels man, they look kind of familiar.... :shades:

I'm the first on a list for a Boss LS for MSRP but I have until the 4th quarter to make my final decission. At this point I believe the SGT is a better choice to have for the long run all things consideration. As other have said I would have a different mind set if I didn't already own a great car. Regarless of the HP differance with my current setup I could run pretty close lap times in either car. The wife wasn't to happy yesterday when my boss called from the BJ auction while viewing the LS at the Ford display, and suggested I off the Roush instead. My wife won't be invited him over for dinner any time soon. :finger:

Either way they are all great cars and I want one of each :drool: now I'm off to purchase more lottery tickets!!!

NO BOSS FOR ME IT NEEDS SOME NEW GRAPHICS TO EVEN GET ME TO LOOK AT IT. I LOVE MY GT/SC AND THE BOSS JUST DOE NOT HAVE ANYTHING GOING FOR IT EXCEPT THE ENGINE AND THE TRACK PACKAGE ; NOTHING THAT MY GT/SC CAN NOT HANDLE AND LEAVE IN THE DUST. IMHO

SCOTTY :peelout::peelout::peelout::peelout:

I totaly agree,The Boss paint scheme is a bit out there for me and the black rims really make a car look cheap and I don't care what car it is, it makes it look cheap and a new Boss is not going to be a cheap car at $40 K. That's the first Mod I did on our Black SGT is put some crome Shelby Razors on it made the car look 10 times better.So it's no Boss for me till they change a few things. Just my .02 cents.

If I didn't have my '09KR and the garage was empty, I would probably opt for the SGT and here's why.

- I much prefer the '05-'09 Mustang body over all others.

- I can get an '08 SGT in the best color (Vista Blue).....care to take a guess what color my KR is?...lol

- I would supercharge the SGT and have it noted in the registry.

While the 5.0L is superior to the 4.6L, the SGT has a really nice handling package. That's the strength of the SGT. I would compensate the lack of HP with a supercharger to balance the car out. It's hard not to like a GT/SC

If I didn't have my '09KR and the garage was empty, I would probably opt for the SGT and here's why.

- I can get an '08 SGT in the best color (Vista Blue).....care to take a guess what color my KR is?...lol

While the 5.0L is superior to the 4.6L, the SGT has a really nice handling package. That's the strength of the SGT. I would compensate the lack of HP with a supercharger to balance the car out. It's hard not to like a GT/SC

All very valid points, and couldn't agree more :happy feet:

Plus you don't have to worry about the first 3 yrs of depreciation..

----------------------------------------------

I understand but how do you compare the Boss and the Shelby on the pre-title thing??:headscratch:

I think you hit the nail on the head and the real question is how can you compare them at all!

The "pre-title" Shelby comes from the fact that, at the time, there hadn't been a pre-title Mustang built by Shelby since 1968 so in that sense the SGT is a call back to the past. The Boss 302 pays homage to another great car. I suspect people will fall on one side or the other. Owning a Shelby has never been just about what was the fastest it's more than just one metric off a road test scorecard or Dyno run. I would say the same is true for Boss enthusiasts.

While the 5.0L is superior to the 4.6L, the SGT has a really nice handling package. That's the strength of the SGT. I would compensate the lack of HP with a supercharger to balance the car out. ]It's hard not to like a GT/SC

Bingo!!!! :happy feet:

Although, the LS Edition is an amazing machine, I'll stick with Betsy...

I think you hit the nail on the head and the real question is how can you compare them at all!

The "pre-title" Shelby comes from the fact that, at the time, there hadn't been a pre-title Mustang built by Shelby since 1968 so in that sense the SGT is a call back to the past. The Boss 302 pays homage to another great car. I suspect people will fall on one side or the other. Owning a Shelby has never been just about what was the fastest it's more than just one metric off a road test scorecard or Dyno run. I would say the same is true for Boss enthusiasts.

I thaught the 67's were the last Pre-Title first generation Shelby's????????

You are thinking of the 2009 GT500 KR with the Fugly v6 Spoiler????????? :hysterical:

You are correct !

I'll keep that "fugly" V6 spoiler.

To be quite honest, I had a 2008 GT500 for close to 2 years before getting the KR. I prefer the "fugly" V6 spoiler (as you put it) over the GT500 spoiler.

Let me ask you this. Lets suppose they made the spoiler for the KR first. Then, Ford decided to put them on the V6 mustangs....would you be thinking the same?

Do you know why they picked the "fugly" V6 spoiler over the GT500 spoiler for the KR production?

You are correct !

To be quite honest, I had a 2008 GT500 for close to 2 years before getting the KR. I prefer the "fugly" V6 spoiler (as you put it) over the GT500 spoiler.

Let me ask you this. Lets suppose they made the spoiler for the KR first. Then, Ford decided to put them on the V6 mustangs....would you be thinking the same?

Do you know why they picked the "fugly" V6 spoiler over the GT500 spoiler for the KR production?

Shelby did testing with the gt500 spoiler and the "fugly" v6 spoiler. The v6 spoiler created more downforce and better performance. I don't think the v6 spoiler is ugly, and I like the gt500 and KR spoiler both just as much.

You are correct !

Well my "Short Memory Shelby Friend"..................We have both hashed this out every way thinkable

on another Thread here..............We will just be repeating ourselves to a pointless end............................. :hysterical:

Well my "Short Memory Shelby Friend"..................We have both hashed this out every way thinkable

on another Thread here..............We will just be repeating ourselves to a pointless end............................. :hysterical:

Ok, I guess I'll have to do a search in order to refresh my memory.

On 2nd note, I won't even bother. You can keep the GT500 spoiler. I'm ok with the spoiler on my KR.

Archived