TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT or Boss 302?

sgt1020

I want to keep my SGT forever, but that Project 2010-06C would surely be tempting, but definitely not the Boss. I'm not interested in trading my Shelby for anything that is not a Shelby.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 I think Shelby did listen and also saw that there was a bit too much "GT350" branding going on. I think the car is MUCH better for it though an improvement overall. I like simplicity and elegance so for me it was a solid move but I'm REALLY hoping they come out with that SGT-like prototype above. THAT I would buy. I like the new 5.0 and the new interior but I love the look of the SGT.

SHELBY PLEASE GIVE ME ANOTHER SGT-LIKE CAR AND I MAY JUST BUY A 2012 MUSTANG!

That is a beautiful car. I also like that Slabside Street Cobra 289. That is one good looking car as well.

I myself ripped on the new Shelby GT350 prototype. It said "GT350" twice on the hood, on the side stripes, front, back and inside. I would bust balls saying, "Wait, what kind of Shelby is that again?" :hysterical:

I am glad they got rid of the "GT350" badge on the hood. It was overboard.

So you're the one. Hahaha! I agree it was overkill. I did like the autograph but they all get a real one on the dash.

Gents,

Looks aside (which may be a bit biased in this site for good reasons), what I haven't heard is whether the Boss 302

(or the 2011 5.0 with Brembo package) outhandles the SGT. All the specs I've read from FORD only add adjustable

shocks to the equation for the 302 (excluding the Laguna Seca version). I have heard form the Tasca folk that the 5.0

Mustang is not as agressive as the original FR1 package installed in our SGT (the current FR1 package is softer).

That formula for the SGT follows the original 1965 street GT-350 in that the major mods were to the suspension. If

you want to chase the 5.0, then do what Shelby did for the GT-350R engine: heads, intake, cams. It will get you close

enough to that very good engine. The difference you can make up at the driving school of your choice, and/or a lot of

experience at the strip/track/course. Just please don't be an idiot on public roads (full disclosure: I've certainly been

one in the past but I've evolved).

And yes, I know supercharging gives a bigger bang for the buck, but that's now comparing apples to oranges.

-Tom

Gents,

Looks aside (which may be a bit biased in this site for good reasons), what I haven't heard is whether the Boss 302

(or the 2011 5.0 with Brembo package) outhandles the SGT. All the specs I've read from FORD only add adjustable

shocks to the equation for the 302 (excluding the Laguna Seca version). I have heard form the Tasca folk that the 5.0

Mustang is not as agressive as the original FR1 package installed in our SGT (the current FR1 package is softer).

That formula for the SGT follows the original 1965 street GT-350 in that the major mods were to the suspension. If

you want to chase the 5.0, then do what Shelby did for the GT-350R engine: heads, intake, cams. It will get you close

enough to that very good engine. The difference you can make up at the driving school of your choice, and/or a lot of

experience at the strip/track/course. Just please don't be an idiot on public roads (full disclosure: I've certainly been

one in the past but I've evolved).

And yes, I know supercharging gives a bigger bang for the buck, but that's now comparing apples to oranges.

-Tom

As a SGT owner i ask...

Used GT500 or Boss 302?

:headscratch:

I like 'em both.

Have you actually SEEN the new Boss 302?

Very unimpressive to the eye:

DSCN2522.jpg

I almost couldn't believe it was a Boss, as it seemed like someone just slapped some custom stripes on it. The interior screamed "plain old Mustang".

Now the Laguna Seca package... that was sweet:

DSCN2526.jpg

DSCN2527.jpg

DSCN2528.jpg

No glass roofs on the SGT. Would definitely consider a trade-in if there was a chance in hell of getting one at MSRP (none in h@ll).

Of course what Shelby needs to do is come out with a 5.0 version of the Shelby GT. Race stripes can really sweeten up that ugly rear end:

DSCN2531.jpg

Have you actually SEEN the new Boss 302?

Very unimpressive to the eye:

DSCN2522.jpg

I almost couldn't believe it was a Boss, as it seemed like someone just slapped some custom stripes on it. The interior screamed "plain old Mustang".

Now the Laguna Seca package... that was sweet:

DSCN2526.jpg

DSCN2527.jpg

DSCN2528.jpg

No glass roofs on the SGT. Would definitely consider a trade-in if there was a chance in hell of getting one at MSRP (none in h@ll).

Of course what Shelby needs to do is come out with a 5.0 version of the Shelby GT. Race stripes can really sweeten up that ugly rear end:

DSCN2531.jpg

I will be attending the auto show in Chicago. I will see the BOSS up close and personal.

Boss looks a bit like a drifter. Looks uncomfortable to drive too.

If power is what you are after, you can always buy one of the Cobra Jets.

The same was true back in the 60's 70's.

I am looking for hp.

I am thinking a used GT500 with an upgraded supercharger and cooling system.

:drool:

There is one thing that new Boss 302 will never be......and that my friends, is a "Shelby". :salute:

tru dat....I fell in love with the SGT the first time I saw it.......the first time I drove it (a GT-H) sealed the deal forever......

then supercharged..............the top of my head comes off everytime I turn over the engine......I am in love.........

there may be a car someday that gives me that feeling........the Boss aint it! :salute:

Me and a SGT friend of mine were really thinking BOSS, however we both ended up saying "I just don't get the same feeling as I got when I bought my Shelby" so no BOSS for me. But I am thinking SC for my Shelby and some other mods and I still will be a head of the game by about $25K. So at this time I am keeping the SGT but still want to see and drive the BOSS after all they did do alot of work to make it a very nice performance car.

I was around when the Shelby and Boss came out. The Boss back then was just seen as a muscle car - no one stared at it except gear heads - I saw them cruising on friday nights all the time. On the other hand, I never saw a Shelby as a kid. It was folklore to me. When I did see my first Shelby (especially the '68) I was in a trance. It had a cool look, a cool heritage name and you knew something unique was under the hood.

So Shelby means something different to me than Boss. Boss is a muscle car. Shelby is, well, a Shelby - something rare and unique. I would keep my Shelby even if someone offered me the Boss for free....no kidding.

HP isnt everything - some BMW's crank out 600 HP. Its about the car. For me Shelby wins.

Casey

I have to agree. I bought my Shelby because of the name. SHELBY. Could have bought a GT500 but it is built by FORD. I also waited 40 years for the redesign. Never liked the design after 68 and do not like the rear of the 2010. Rick

I have to agree. I bought my Shelby because of the name. SHELBY. Could have bought a GT500 but it is built by FORD. I also waited 40 years for the redesign. Never liked the design after 68 and do not like the rear of the 2010. Rick

Huuuuummmm..........Excuse me but your SGT was built by Ford and came with

"POWERED BY FORD" emblems left on or installed at SAI.......................

SGT1020 started this thread, and he mentioned it in the first post.

Most SGT owners consider having a "pre-title" Shelby to be a special thing.

Jer

I understand but how do you compare the Boss and the Shelby on the pre-title thing??:headscratch:

There is one thing that new Boss 302 will never be......and that my friends, is a "Shelby". :salute:

There is one thing that the Shelby will never be, and that my friend is a Boss :salute:

And dont take that as a slam against the Shelby,

There is one thing that the Shelby will never be, and that my friend is a Boss :salute:

And dont take that as a slam against the Shelby,

That is the topic.

Both are non "stock" cars. (limited editions)

Both have upgraded suspensions.

Were they both designed with a race track in mind?

I understand but how do you compare the Boss and the Shelby on the pre-title thing??:headscratch:

I can buy a new Ford Mustang anytime.

I can't buy a new pre-title Shelby Mustang ever again.

Thus: I would NOT TRADE my SGT for a Boss.

Jer

Huuuuummmm..........Excuse me but your SGT was built by Ford and came with

"POWERED BY FORD" emblems left on or installed at SAI.......................

I think he is just referring to the modification to the SGT actually being done at Shelby in Vegas as opposed to the GT500 being built at SVT and badging it a SHELBY. Not taking anything from the GT500, I would love to have one of each.

Jer

Nice to see someone else sees where I'm coming from. Yes the Shelby will never be a boss 302 but it's just another "mustang". It's kind of like when ford did the Bullitt mustang. That was limited production. Shelby is a racing/automotive legend, the name "Shelby" has a prestige that can not be matched. There will always be a newer faster car out there. But I'll always love my Shelby for what it is. Who knows, one day when Carroll is gone (God bless him' hope he lives to be 200) and Shelby stops producing cars, we Shelby owners will be the lucky ones. Ford will always make another "newer" "better" mustang. Making a long story short, I'd rather have something not many people have. Something special and a Shelby is just that. :salute:

Jer

I undestand not wanting to trade the SGT, what I was having problems with would be buying a pretitle Boss, if you know what I mean.

I undestand not wanting to trade the SGT, what I was having problems with would be buying a pretitle Boss, if you know what I mean.

I think we're on the same page, just got our intentions mixed up.

Just for clarity:

I don't mind the Boss, but it's based on the newer Mustang, which I don't like as much as my '07. The GT350 is the only car based on the new style that I think I could live with.

If a dealer offered me a "straight-up" trade, I would decline, not just for the reason above, but because a pre-title Shelby is too cool to let go.

Are you coming to the Bash? Lemme know, first round of "adult beverages" is on me.salute.gif

Jer

Archived