TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shocks and Struts for lowered 10+?

PistolWhip

I thought I was done gathering up all of my suspension parts, but lately I've been pondering a damper change to go along with everything I already have. I don't race the car often and when I do, it will likely only be on the 20" drag radials that I keep on the car all the time, so I'm not looking to build an all out drag car. I also don't road race the car at all and likely never will. I'm more looking for a descent ride, good street handling for occasional "spirited" driving and descent traction at the drag strip.

My current list of awaiting parts looks like this: Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs, J&M Extreme Joint LCA's, adjustable UCA with mount, adjustable pan-hard bar, C/C plates and a Steeda pan-hard brace. The wheels are 20" True Forged Chicanes with Nitto Dr's in the back and 555R's up front.

So here's my question in a nutshell: Am I better off just keeping the stock dampers for what I want, or should I look into upgrading them? I started looking at the Eibach Pro-Damper kit which is very well priced around the net. Then I started reading a lot of positive reviews on the FRPP set up which is supposedly the same as the Tokico D-spec set. Then of course, there's the SVTPP take offs....

With all the options, I don't know where to go with this. The Eibachs are very tempting at the price, but I don't know if they're really any different than what I already have on the car (stock) because I can't find any reviews on them for GT500's. I know the D-specs are good stuff, but are they overkill for what I'm looking for? What do you guys think?

I thought I was done gathering up all of my suspension parts, but lately I've been pondering a damper change to go along with everything I already have. I don't race the car often and when I do, it will likely only be on the 20" drag radials that I keep on the car all the time, so I'm not looking to build an all out drag car. I also don't road race the car at all and likely never will. I'm more looking for a descent ride, good street handling for occasional "spirited" driving and descent traction at the drag strip.

My current list of awaiting parts looks like this: Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs, J&M Extreme Joint LCA's, adjustable UCA with mount, adjustable pan-hard bar, C/C plates and a Steeda pan-hard brace. The wheels are 20" True Forged Chicanes with Nitto Dr's in the back and 555R's up front.

So here's my question in a nutshell: Am I better off just keeping the stock dampers for what I want, or should I look into upgrading them? I started looking at the Eibach Pro-Damper kit which is very well priced around the net. Then I started reading a lot of positive reviews on the FRPP set up which is supposedly the same as the Tokico D-spec set. Then of course, there's the SVTPP take offs....

With all the options, I don't know where to go with this. The Eibachs are very tempting at the price, but I don't know if they're really any different than what I already have on the car (stock) because I can't find any reviews on them for GT500's. I know the D-specs are good stuff, but are they overkill for what I'm looking for? What do you guys think?

Nice set-up you are going with....I love the Tokico D-specs with what else you are going with, but it you want a less expensive alternative, here is a link to a set of FR-3 take offs I have on ebay right now....a little stiffer than the D-specs, and still made by Tokico for Ford Racing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280596436580&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

ALex

I appreciate the offer Vapor and as I'm sure they are in good shape, I'd much rather go with new parts for the costs involved. There's just not enough of a savings to constitute buying used. I also don't think I want anything too stiff in the car. I really like the ride now, I just don't know what the lowered stance will do to the performance of the stock dampers.

No worries....these were perfect with no issues. I would seriously upgrade over stock though as your stock dampeners will not be adequate with the Eibach springs...they will wear out as they will work against each other. I don't even install lowering' springs in customers cars any more unless they replace their shocks and struts. The Tokico D-specs are the best bang for the buck. will also want to do a camber/caster plate with a spherical bearing.

Alex

Thanks for the info. I have the J&M C/C plates waiting along with the rest of the stuff. I also picked up a set of CHE LCA relocation brackets, driveshaft loop and engine torque limiter kit as well as a DSS 3.5" driveshaft. I'm hoping by the time I'm done here, the car will be a set up to lay down some power as that will be where I go next.

Thanks for the info. I have the J&M C/C plates waiting along with the rest of the stuff. I also picked up a set of CHE LCA relocation brackets, driveshaft loop and engine torque limiter kit as well as a DSS 3.5" driveshaft. I'm hoping by the time I'm done here, the car will be a set up to lay down some power as that will be where I go next.

Nice set-up....but you really should do shocks and struts while she is all apart. What ever your choice ends up being, make sure they will work well with the springs as you don't want them workign against each other. You also NEED to weld the LCA brackets on, do not just bolt as they will soon tear with all the power. Bolt them in, then take to an alignment shop and have them make sure all is square and have them weld them while doing your alignment. I can;t tell you how many of these I have seen that were either not welded, or welded crooked...

Alex

Yeah, I have every intention of welding them in. I ordered the D-specs last night from Autoanything.com. They're running a 15% off sale and they ended up costing me $460 shipped. I think I did pretty good, now I just have to find some time to install it all. Thanks for all the input.

Archived