TEAM SHELBY FORUM

UGLY PLASTIC BUMPERS

:headscratch: WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THESE HUGE UGLY PLASTIC BUMPERS?!! EACH YEAR THEY GET BIGGER AND BIGGER!! THEY STAND OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB!! DO MANUFACTURES THINK THAT IF ITS THE SAME COLOR WE WONT NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN METAL AND PLASTIC??!! ITS F :censored: INSULTING!!!

What the hell are you talking about??? I can only assume you are referring to the GT500 because of the forum your posting in, but the bumpers have been about the same design since the late 70's

Bumpers are steel, bumper "covers" are plastic and its called technology and efficiency of manufacturing. Why would you want heavy, steel full coverage bumpers that serve no purpose beneficial above and beyond the current design on an already heavy car? Engineers in ALL fields of manufacturering will always find ways to build things lighter, cheaper, faster, safer, more efficiently and current in styling. That's what they are paid to do.

LOL, I mean I don't like sounding like a prick or hammering someone on their first post, but that was just stupid. A "bumper" is a safety device and should be designed as such. In the 60's they were basically big ass pieces of steel, dipped in chrome and hung off either end of the car with more steel. They had no give and no energy absorbing properties whatsoever.... The bumpers on cars today are designed the way they should be, to disappear and be forgotten about until you run into something. Let the car's body and lines flow the way they should and let the style of the car be seen while the safety equipment remains unseen and out of the way. My first car was a 68 Chevelle and I have had numerous other 60's muscle cars in my family throughout the years, so I'm not a "youngin" that's completely gapped in generation with the "old school" muscle car guys. I have tastes for all cars, no matter what the years, makes or models, but there is no question that technology has made the automobile 1000000000% better over the last 40 years.

LOL, I mean I don't like sounding like a prick or hammering someone on their first post, but that was just stupid. A "bumper" is a safety device and should be designed as such. In the 60's they were basically big ass pieces of steel, dipped in chrome and hung off either end of the car with more steel. They had no give and no energy absorbing properties whatsoever.... The bumpers on cars today are designed the way they should be, to disappear and be forgotten about until you run into something. Let the car's body and lines flow the way they should and let the style of the car be seen while the safety equipment remains unseen and out of the way. My first car was a 68 Chevelle and I have had numerous other 60's muscle cars in my family throughout the years, so I'm not a "youngin" that's completely gapped in generation with the "old school" muscle car guys. I have tastes for all cars, no matter what the years, makes or models, but there is no question that technology has made the automobile 1000000000% better over the last 40 years.

LOL interesting flick---"NJ attacks canada for stupidity"

Search -N-Destroy, the government has standards that all manufacturers must abide by... Meaning all bumpers are designed to have the same properties for safety.

You won't find a single modern passenger car with a steel bumper, and it's been that way for the last 35 years....

There's some company that offers these shitty looking chrome bumper applique's for the mustang, and possibly other cars.. Perhaps you should look into these for your ride...

What is your ride?

Ha! you guys got me laughing.

But, I wonder if the OP is talking about the new 350? I'll likely take some heat on this one but I think the front fascia is ugly. I'd have to put a bag over over her face .... :fool:

DaFreak

It could be like me saying "how can they listen to that new music" when my parents used to ask the same question. Tastes change and maybe a younger person designed it? Thank goodnes for beer and light switches.

Edit: It would have been just as great and maybe better if they had left the body alone and focused on a forged bottom end for the 5.0 by Shelby. Got an assembly line going through the shop and left the panels for the ricers.

:headscratch: WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THESE HUGE UGLY PLASTIC BUMPERS?!! EACH YEAR THEY GET BIGGER AND BIGGER!! THEY STAND OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB!! DO MANUFACTURES THINK THAT IF ITS THE SAME COLOR WE WONT NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN METAL AND PLASTIC??!! ITS F :censored: INSULTING!!!

I agree with what you are referring too....its more the bumper cover than the bumper. When they came out with the dark gray on vehicles like the avalanche, 4runner and others they distinctively stood out from other parts of the car and did not blend in well with the other paint. That's why some other vehicle manufacturers have used the cheap plastic but painted it so it doesn't stand out too much. If you compare the 07-09 to and new shelbys the answer is YES they are getting larger unpainted surfaces. Not saying its bad just different.

On the 4 runners and avalanche there was such an outcry that they started painting them, not sure what Ford plans to do in the future with them.

I agree with what you are referring too....its more the bumper cover than the bumper. When they came out with the dark gray on vehicles like the avalanche, 4runner and others they distinctively stood out from other parts of the car and did not blend in well with the other paint. That's why some other vehicle manufacturers have used the cheap plastic but painted it so it doesn't stand out too much. If you compare the 07-09 to and new shelbys the answer is YES they are getting larger unpainted surfaces. Not saying its bad just different.

On the 4 runners and avalanche there was such an outcry that they started painting them, not sure what Ford plans to do in the future with them.

I didnt like the black unpainted lower parts at first. But after running over a semi tire carcass on the highway and scraping up the front splitter, rocker panel and rear lower bumper I was sure happy to be able to replace all those parts in about an hour with no paint work.

Those early avalanches looked pretty bad, especially if someone waxed it and got regular car wax all over that black plastic..

Archived