TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Corvette SS: 650 Horses?

robertlane

The upcoming Corvette SS is reported to have 650 horses :ohsnap: I'm not a big Corvette fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like this develop as an answer (from Ford or GM) to what has been European domination.

Now, before people begin crying for a major bump in the GT500's horses, let's not forget that the Mustang and Corvette and not in the same league - although, magazine often pair them up.

ARTICLE LINK.

The upcoming Corvette SS is reported to have 650 horses :ohsnap: I'm not a big Corvette fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like this develop as an answer (from Ford or GM) to what has been European domination.

Now, before people begin crying for a major bump in the GT500's horses, let's not forget that the Mustang and Corvette and now in the same league - although, magazine often pair them up.

My guess is that GM will never allow another US car to exceed thier flagship in power, and the current offering from Ford, the GT500, is too close for comfort.

True - the GT500 is too close at the heals of the Z06 and who knows what the 2008 GT500KR will offer over the 2007 GT500? Maybe Chevy does want more of a distance - and a Corvette SS with that many horses would do it.

The more I think about a "Euro-Fighting" Corvette, the more I like the idea. Piss on the Italians and the Germans (sorry, Grandma and Gramps)! :finger:

My guess is that GM will never allow another US car to exceed thier flagship in power, and the current offering from Ford, the GT500, is too close for comfort.

If 500hp from the Shelby is "too close for comfort", then what would you call the Viper's upcoming approx 600hp? Chevy is responding to Dodge (not Ford), and has said so specifically.

It does not make since for ford to change any thing for 2008. I dont think there will be a KR. We would have already seen some of the R&D running around and thats money they dont need to spend also since i have been alive ford has never bumped the HP much with out there being a new car ie mach 1 , bullitt, cobra

If 500hp from the Shelby is "too close for comfort", then what would you call the Viper's upcoming approx 600hp? Chevy is responding to Dodge (not Ford), and has said so specifically.

You are absolutely right about the Viper. Since the disappearance of the Ford GT, it's all between Chevy and Dodge for the supercars.

It does not make since for ford to change any thing for 2008. I dont think there will be a KR. We would have already seen some of the R&D running around and thats money they dont need to spend also since i have been alive ford has never bumped the HP much with out there being a new car ie mach 1 , bullitt, cobra

You would never know if Ford was developing a GT500KR because Ford and Shelby would simply use a GT500 body as a mule.

That is a very threatening car. Not so much to the GT500 since they are in different classes. Its a huge plus for GT500s modded to keep up with them but in the end Camaro is GT500s target and C6 vettes. Hopefully Ford has something up its sleeve to combat the 600hp Viper and 650hp Vette...maybe a GR-1! :happy feet:

hogans-heroes-2.jpg

I KNOW NOTHING, NOTHING!

I do......

My 2 cents....Long time Corvette owner and new Shelby GT500 owner. The corvette is a nice car and a fast car, BUT it's built for small/thin little men or girls! "I'm a man.. Baby"! Not a comfortable car for me. The GT500 is very comfortable, lots of room, doesn't feel like you are laying down while driving, like the Vette. Gt500 even has two back seats....for small kids, true, but the Vette has none. Gt500= True muscle car! The SS Corvette, even with 650 hp.......still going to be a Vette, uncomfortable and very $$$.

That's just wrong. Stringing a guy along like that...

I'm sorry Joker, and you're right. It is my understanding that there will be an official announcement by FoMoCo sometime in April regarding 2008 GT500. The news is good, but its nothing that will piss off the owners of 2007 500's.

I'm sorry Joker, and you're right. It is my understanding that there will be an official announcement by FoMoCo sometime in April regarding 2008 GT500. The news is good, but its nothing that will piss off the owners of 2007 500's.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm just wondering what it is. I'm thinking something along the lines of a few more HP and maybe some suspension stuff. Nothing too major. I think I recall reading that they may bump up the HP by 10 for the '08 my.

I have heard recently that the Super Vette will have 600HP not 650HP. It will MSRP over $100K and since there will only be 2,000 produced annually with 4500 Chevy dealers in the US you can start to understand the Monster ADM's(Try Double MSRP) that these will bring.

The Viper will have 615HP for 08 and 680HP for 09 to answer the Super Vette.

Ford won't answer either the Vette or the Viper for HP. The FGT was as good as it gets for Ford for a long time considering there Financial problems. Be Thankful they built the GT500.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm just wondering what it is. I'm thinking something along the lines of a few more HP and maybe some suspension stuff. Nothing too major. I think I recall reading that they may bump up the HP by 10 for the '08 my.

Do you remember that old kid's game, Hot or Cold? You are quite warm and getting warmer....

I love it when I'm getting warm. What do I have to do to get hot? lol

Increase your projected H.P. gain.

Personally, I would be surprised if they don't call the '08 GT500's the GT500KR. It would be the perfect opportunity to have another 40th anniversary model. Or, maybe the KR will be a package that you can have added at Shelby Automotive, like the 40th Anniversary package for the '07's.

When they brought out the KR's in '68, they actually lowered the advertised Horsepower rating compared to the '67 GT500's, nobody believed it to be accurate however, more to appease the insurance companies than anything else. It will be fun to wait and see!

Boys....

I am not a Chevy fan...... i've never owned a chevy in my life.

BUT... if chevy keeps puttin' out these ass-kickin vettes.... i may have to save up and buy one!

is it Legal to park a vette and shelby mustang in the same garage?:hysterical2:

Not Illegal but would look weird...actually it would look cool....just not a regular C6, it would have to be a Z06 or SS Z06. I hope Ford is secretely making a competitor to the Viper Vette war. Maye GR-1 or shelby cobra concept....or maybe something totally new and radical...come on...we got carroll with us right now. he made viper for dodge...why not us!?

Archived