TEAM SHELBY FORUM

McGarrett? Dano? Anyone?

thewheelman

Do we have any TS members from the 50th state? My son may be transferred there next year and he's wondering what to do about vehicles. He has a very nice Explorer Sport Trac and a Ford Edge and doesn't know if he'll be better off to sell them here and buy when he gets there or ship one or both over. Any ideas on car $$ on the islands? I think he'd like to sell the truck and buy a Mustang convertible over there........

Do we have any TS members from the 50th state? My son may be transferred there next year and he's wondering what to do about vehicles. He has a very nice Explorer Sport Trac and a Ford Edge and doesn't know if he'll be better off to sell them here and buy when he gets there or ship one or both over. Any ideas on car $$ on the islands? I think he'd like to sell the truck and buy a Mustang convertible over there........

Son did a year at Univ of H Hilo; looked into cars there, kind of pricey. Shipped our Hertz by Matson from Honolulu to Long Beach was about 1250$ i believe.

Go to Hawaii Vehicle registration as they have some unique regulations and laws.

Good Luck!

Doc Scott

Son never got a car there; came home and bought a left over Shelby GT-C through Michael Morris

Cars cost more and gas even more so! If moving to Oahu... Speed will rarely ever exceed 75mph anywhere. traffic jams on Oahu are the norm for rush hours(soon to be relieved by rail) parking lots are small and parking spaces are close together (door dings). Parking is a premium and most apts and condos only have one slot. Parking in Waikiki averages 10$ a night for hotels. I would buy a beater and drive it for most everything and take the nice one on cross island trips. depending on where you live it could rain on the car every day or never rain on it. I owned a sporttrac... its just enough truck for hawaii and is more versatile for all your beach excursions!!!

of course if this is a military move shipping one is free.

Far better off buying on the mainland

i don't have car tips but have one tip. base on past experience, even tho its the 50th state in the U.S. of A, locals there have their own way of doing things. i don't think people in hawaii are racist by anymeans but when it comes to subjects like history, culture, family, land, and etc, try not to get involve too much. you have the hard core hawaiians all the way to the hard core captain cook people, and u also have the ones that expect the mainland way of doing things should be the same in hawaii. as u can see lot of chances for arguments lol.

just go with the flow, keep it to yourself, don't both nobody AND nobody will bother you.

asides from the above, sooo many things to do, from hiking to surfing to eating good food, and etc. just hang loose :-) hopefully your son will have a awesome experience doing his tour.

Aloha,

Have your son contact me via the Aloha Mustang & Shelby Club of Hawaii, www.alohamustang.com. Our club has been around since 1979 and having fun with Mustangs, Shelbys and all sorts of Ford toys. He does not need to own a Mustang/Shelby to join, he can just come check out the activities and members and get assistance if needed.

I am a local resident, born here, SAAC rep., Team Shelby member, been to conventions and shows all over the country (not with the cars) for over 20 years. I have a 66 GT350 and a 2011 350 on order, plus the wifes 65 GTconv. in the garage. Daily driver is an 05 Explorer. If the military offers to ship his rides (at least one) do it. Vehicles are more expensive to purchase here, especially classic convertibles, parts have to be shipped in and don't even guess about the gas. But I would rather shovel sand than snow any day. If he has a chance to pick up a nice Mustang on the mainland, bring it over. No smog check here (the volcanos make that stupid), but cars have to meet annual safety checks so if it is a late model, easy on the tricks and mods like tint, oversized tires and smoked light lenses. Military do not pay state or county registration fees.

Like any part of the country the residents have pride in where they live and some routines take awhile to adjust to. Rule no. 1, when here never say you are going back to states when you mean the mainland U.S., Rule no 2, yes there is a rich local culture taken very seriously as this used to be another country and has the only palace in the U.S., and no 3., it is the only state where whites are a minority. heck everyone is in a minority here. sometimes it works, sometimes not, but you get used to it in a good way. Lots of blending.

And the weather, well, usually 78 degrees, partly cloudy, 12 mile trade wind breezes and bikinis everywhere.

Aloha,

Don

Part two:

oh, if you want to see them filming Hawaii 5-0, just look around each day as they are all over. The actors are all over also, except for Waikiki. Tourists bug 'em, we respect their privacy. They used my mothers place for the first show, not the pilot, and were great. If you were a fan of "Lost", "Magnum P.I., Jurassic Park or scores of other shows or movies, the locations are easy to drive by around the island.

Don

Aloha,

Have your son contact me via the Aloha Mustang & Shelby Club of Hawaii, www.alohamustang.com. Our club has been around since 1979 and having fun with Mustangs, Shelbys and all sorts of Ford toys. He does not need to own a Mustang/Shelby to join, he can just come check out the activities and members and get assistance if needed.

I am a local resident, born here, SAAC rep., Team Shelby member, been to conventions and shows all over the country (not with the cars) for over 20 years. I have a 66 GT350 and a 2011 350 on order, plus the wifes 65 GTconv. in the garage. Daily driver is an 05 Explorer. If the military offers to ship his rides (at least one) do it. Vehicles are more expensive to purchase here, especially classic convertibles, parts have to be shipped in and don't even guess about the gas. But I would rather shovel sand than snow any day. If he has a chance to pick up a nice Mustang on the mainland, bring it over. No smog check here (the volcanos make that stupid), but cars have to meet annual safety checks so if it is a late model, easy on the tricks and mods like tint, oversized tires and smoked light lenses. Military do not pay state or county registration fees.

Like any part of the country the residents have pride in where they live and some routines take awhile to adjust to. Rule no. 1, when here never say you are going back to states when you mean the mainland U.S., Rule no 2, yes there is a rich local culture taken very seriously as this used to be another country and has the only palace in the U.S., and no 3., it is the only state where whites are a minority. heck everyone is in a minority here. sometimes it works, sometimes not, but you get used to it in a good way. Lots of blending.

And the weather, well, usually 78 degrees, partly cloudy, 12 mile trade wind breezes and bikinis everywhere.

Aloha,

Don

Hey Don, I'm moving to Oahu in Feb. 2011 and will bring at least 2 of my Mustangs (08 Shelby GT/SC and either the 70 Conv. or 73 Conv.) with me but they will stay titled and registered in Florida so does the state of HI still make you do any other requirements on your cars? No, not military.. I ask because even cars owned by military over there with say Texas license plate still has those stickers on the bumpers. I talked to you once before but my plans were delayed but for sure coming out there for awhile. What is the date of the show at the FORD dealer in Kailua?

Part two:

oh, if you want to see them filming Hawaii 5-0, just look around each day as they are all over. The actors are all over also, except for Waikiki. Tourists bug 'em, we respect their privacy. They used my mothers place for the first show, not the pilot, and were great. If you were a fan of "Lost", "Magnum P.I., Jurassic Park or scores of other shows or movies, the locations are easy to drive by around the island.

Don

only interested in Grace Park! :drool: very beautiful

Archived