TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super snake my 2010 or 2012 with SVT PP?

6.1hemi

I see you are from NC, what part? Im from charlotte. For what its worth, i would take the 2012 then upgrade the sc on it. You will have a brand new car and extra dough in your pocket.

Thanks for the reply. I live in Chatham county. I am about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs away from you.

My 2010 only has about 5k on it so it's almost new. I would be going almost 20K in the hole between what my '10 depreciated and the cost of the '12.

I can get the 750HP snake for about 36K. Got to do some serious thinking.

But the 12 will never be a Super Snake... Sometimes the number that you get on a dyno sheet isn't everything. A Super Snake is a whole different ball game and puts you at a different level of Shelby ownership.

I say SS the one you have and enjoy the even more exclusivity that you'll have at every Shelby, Mustang or any car show or meet for that matter.

But the 12 will never be a Super Snake... Sometimes the number that you get on a dyno sheet isn't everything. A Super Snake is a whole different ball game and puts you at a different level of Shelby ownership.

I say SS the one you have and enjoy the even more exclusivity that you'll have at every Shelby, Mustang or any car show or meet for that matter.

+1.

I had a similar dilemma. Didn't know if I should trade my 08 on a 2011 or SS it. I thought the 2011 was a great ride and was loaded with Nav and glass roof, SVTPP too. But for the price difference I could SS my 08 and have a very unique Shelby. I went with the SS and hopefully my car goes in this week to begin the transformation.

I'm not sure the 012 will be that much different than your 10. I'd go with the SS but enjoy whatever ride you decide on.

Thanks for the reply. I live in Chatham county. I am about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs away from you.

My 2010 only has about 5k on it so it's almost new. I would be going almost 20K in the hole between what my '10 depreciated and the cost of the '12.

I can get the 750HP snake for about 36K. Got to do some serious thinking.

So you're 20K is an irrelevant cost because you will do one or the other for sure; so that money is gone. So what are you getting for the extra 16K, right? Suspension, brakes, blower, etc...you name it plus having "a super snake". If it won't burn a hole in your pocket and you're paying cash and you won't miss it, why the hell not? Our decisions about increasing the awesomeness of our cars are never 100% about money or we'd all be driving heavily modded 10,000 dollar cars right? It's that subjectivity that only you can describe that justifies what we do. I say go for it. I would if I could...

For 20k you get a brand new warranted car, alum block and all. Spend another 10k on mods for the '12 and you'll be right there HP- wise, save 6k and still have a new car. That's what I'd do.

+1

Get the 2012 all optioned out and order up the Ford Racing Performance Products 750hp Whipple 2.9L upgrade all at the dealership and all for the same price as the SS option to your 2010. That's what I'd do because the Supersnake is a much larger upgrade for a 07-10 GT500 but since PP came out in 2011 you can now get one that's already lowered with 20" rims and special stripe package and pulls 1g for a $3k option, so I think an optioned out 2012 w/ the FRPP 2.9L SC upgrade would be just as nice and better performing then a 2010 SS for the same price.

Thanks for all the advise. For now I think I am just going to keep my 2010 with the pulley and tune. Took the GT500 for a ride tonight and we had a talk. I told her that she was my first Mustang. She said she would miss me. She said the madness has to stop somehow. I told her I was even starting to look at Ford GT500s. She said you are not a rich man. You can't spend your retirement money on a toy. She also asked me what I would but next if I got a Ford GT500? I said you're right. I have to stop. I love my car. OK it grinds occasionally when I hit 6200 RPMs and bang second. Sooner or later you have to be satisfied with what you have. I was married 25 yrs, got divorced, lost 75% of everything I worked for my whole life. I am 60 now and I must have lost it for a moment. I'll save the 36K that I might need someday. I am lucky, there have been a lot of layoffs at my company but I have been spared somehow for now.

A 2010 Shelby GT500 ain't too shabby for a guy like me.

If I could I would SS my car in heart beat. If you by a 12 it's still a Ford SVT first and a Shelby second, But once you SS the car it's a Shelby First and a Ford SVT second. Not many Shelby's around here and even less SS's I would spend the 36 if I had it... Maybe one Day, but I love my Car and miss her everyday. Can't wait til Spring!

Thanks for all the advise. For now I think I am just going to keep my 2010 with the pulley and tune. Took the GT500 for a ride tonight and we had a talk. I told her that she was my first Mustang. She said she would miss me. She said the madness has to stop somehow. I told her I was even starting to look at Ford GT500s. She said you are not a rich man. You can't spend your retirement money on a toy. She also asked me what I would but next if I got a Ford GT500? I said you're right. I have to stop. I love my car. OK it grinds occasionally when I hit 6200 RPMs and bang second. Sooner or later you have to be satisfied with what you have. I was married 25 yrs, got divorced, lost 75% of everything I worked for my whole life. I am 60 now and I must have lost it for a moment. I'll save the 36K that I might need someday. I am lucky, there have been a lot of layoffs at my company but I have been spared somehow for now.

Good choice. Not near enough of a difference between the model years for the loss of $$$, imo. Mod what you have and enjoy (Also there is only one year which is the 2010s hosting both the new-style body (& interior) with and iron block, then again that's from my biased viewpoint and makes me :doh: )

Well since your keeping your 2010 have you seen how sexy the newly available black SS rims are. :drool:

stealthblack_supersnake_lg.jpg

After staring at that pic for a few minutes I wouldn't mind doing the SS package but I'd want the SVT style stripes and 2012 Recaro's. Will they do a SS stripe delete or custom stripes?

Well since your keeping your 2010 have you seen how sexy the newly available black SS rims are. :drool:

stealthblack_supersnake_lg.jpg

After staring at that pic for a few minutes I wouldn't mind doing the SS package but I'd want the SVT style stripes and 2012 Recaro's. Will they do a SS stripe delete or custom stripes?

I wouldn't go there..................:hysterical:

Man, those wheels do look fantastic.

Thanks for all the advise. For now I think I am just going to keep my 2010 with the pulley and tune. Took the GT500 for a ride tonight and we had a talk. I told her that she was my first Mustang. She said she would miss me. She said the madness has to stop somehow. I told her I was even starting to look at Ford GT500s. She said you are not a rich man. You can't spend your retirement money on a toy. She also asked me what I would but next if I got a Ford GT500? I said you're right. I have to stop. I love my car. OK it grinds occasionally when I hit 6200 RPMs and bang second. Sooner or later you have to be satisfied with what you have. I was married 25 yrs, got divorced, lost 75% of everything I worked for my whole life. I am 60 now and I must have lost it for a moment. I'll save the 36K that I might need someday. I am lucky, there have been a lot of layoffs at my company but I have been spared somehow for now.A 2010 Shelby GT500 ain't too shabby for a guy like me.

I think you are being very smart. You've already got a great 12 second car right off the showroom floor that looks sharp, turns heads and makes for an ideal cruiser. You can definitely do some additional mods that won't break your bank(or your iron block). I'm all for the SS modification but it IS pricey and what you said about "what's going to be next?" inre modifications/upgrades rings true even with the SS because many continue to mod even AFTER SS'ing due to concerns about harnessing all the horsepower, traction concerns in regard to wheels and tires, suspension, etc.

If you think about it, debating if one Shelby is better than another, what a great problem to have in economic times like these. Any options posted is a winner as long as you have a Shelby. The most important factor is quality time behind the steering wheel. Does the idea of owning the 2010 as is, upgraded to an SS or having a 2012 make you want to drive one car more than another. I'd go with your gut on which one would put you in the driver seat more often. Happy holidays everyone. :dance:

I agree with just keeping it and do some modifications. I am 59 and went through the same divorce action and results when I retired. Went to work in another job and my wife now convinced me to spend the money I have been saving on "something I would like rather than give it to the kids". So I bought the 2010 Kona Blue GT 500 and put on the Shelby Super Snake quarter window scoops and the Ford side scoops (which I see are now available on the 2011 SS) and a few dress up things to the engine. I love the SS look especially the hood but I consider myself also lucky to have the money to buy this car and I am enjoying every moment of it. Besides 540 hp is enough for me. Also I cant say enough about the good people I have met since joining TS and I am looking forward to the Bash for the second time and the cruise with other Shelby autos.

Can I at least choose the color of the stripe package?

You can on a 2011 and you get two choices.

Matte Black or Matte White.

Period.

On 2010 and earlier years, your choice is Matte Black.

Period!

Phill

I agree with just keeping it and do some modifications. I am 59 and went through the same divorce action and results when I retired. Went to work in another job and my wife now convinced me to spend the money I have been saving on "something I would like rather than give it to the kids". So I bought the 2010 Kona Blue GT 500 and put on the Shelby Super Snake quarter window scoops and the Ford side scoops (which I see are now available on the 2011 SS) and a few dress up things to the engine. I love the SS look especially the hood but I consider myself also lucky to have the money to buy this car and I am enjoying every moment of it. Besides 540 hp is enough for me. Also I cant say enough about the good people I have met since joining TS and I am looking forward to the Bash for the second time and the cruise with other Shelby autos.

Brad,

Right back at ya! You have a great Shelby with some nice mods and Kona is a fantastic shade of blue. Merry Christmas!

Archived