TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AIRAID Stock Filter Replacement

Seabee

AIRAID now has 2 different direct OE replacement air filters for the GT500.

Part # 860-399 - Standard AIRAID Filter @ $69.99

Part # 861-399 - SynthaMax (non-Oiled) filter @ $79.99

Other than that the standard filter uses an oil to help trap contaminents i.e. K&N, Greenfilter.

Is that the only difference and what does it really mean?

If at $79.99 is a throw away filter, then it still is cheeper that the Motorcraft Ford Racing Stock filter at a list $ of $127.84 and the dealer @ $115.06.

I like the non-oiled approach. I've used K&N type oiled filters going back over 20 years. Had my first one on a 1990 Mustang 5.0 when it was new. I never had any problems but I hear stories all the time about over oiling the filter and contamining the MAF sensor.

I had an automotive engineer tell me a few years ago that the oiled air-filter approach was similar to a person running with a piece of cloth across their nose and mouth. Would you rather have a clean piece of cloth or one that was coated with oil? It made sence even though I've never had a problem.

Yeah, I may have to get me one or two of those dry filters. Thanks guys. :salute:

I like the non-oiled approach. I've used K&N type oiled filters going back over 20 years. Had my first one on a 1990 Mustang 5.0 when it was new. I never had any problems but I hear stories all the time about over oiling the filter and contamining the MAF sensor.

I had an automotive engineer tell me a few years ago that the oiled air-filter approach was similar to a person running with a piece of cloth across their nose and mouth. Would you rather have a clean piece of cloth or one that was coated with oil? It made sence even though I've never had a problem.

Yeah, I may have to get me one or two of those dry filters. Thanks guys. :salute:

MAF sensor cleaner is available at your local parts store. When I clean my filter, AirRaid, I clean the MAF. I doesn't matter what you do or use to filter the air, all the parts and pieces that follow the filter will get dirty in time and affect performance. Any knowledgeable motorhead knows to clean throttle bodies, sensors, cooling devices, pcv's, etc. to maintain peak power and economy. No vehicle make and model is excluded.

And, a gas mask, which I've worn a lot, is hard to breath through also but will save your life. A good filter will save your engine and there are a lot of options to go with. I don't go much on what is said, I review testing results and decide there on...

AIRAID now has 2 different direct OE replacement air filters for the GT500.

Part # 860-399 - Standard AIRAID Filter @ $69.99

Part # 861-399 - SynthaMax (non-Oiled) filter @ $79.99

Other than that the standard filter uses an oil to help trap contaminents i.e. K&N, Greenfilter.

Is that the only difference and what does it really mean?

If at $79.99 is a throw away filter, then it still is cheeper that the Motorcraft Ford Racing Stock filter at a list $ of $127.84 and the dealer @ $115.06.

the stock filter has a metal screen on the bottom that i noticed when i replaced mine with another generic filter--does it serve a purpose, or will using these generic brands like KN, Synthamax perform just as well.Seems like the car compnanies try to save pennies on each car, so why would they waste money on an overengineered air filter with a metal screen on the bottom

MAF sensor cleaner is available at your local parts store. When I clean my filter, AirRaid, I clean the MAF. I doesn't matter what you do or use to filter the air, all the parts and pieces that follow the filter will get dirty in time and affect performance. Any knowledgeable motorhead knows to clean throttle bodies, sensors, cooling devices, pcv's, etc. to maintain peak power and economy. No vehicle make and model is excluded.

And, a gas mask, which I've worn a lot, is hard to breath through also but will save your life. A good filter will save your engine and there are a lot of options to go with. I don't go much on what is said, I review testing results and decide there on...

Wasn't aware of a "MAF sensor cleaner", I just used an electronic turner cleaner spray which has been around for years and probably the same or similar. Not sure on the gas mask statement either, I spent a lot of time under MOPP level 4 conditions in another life and don't see how it relates to a oiled vs non-oiled air filter on a car. If an "oiled" airfliter was that much better, I'm sure Ford would have put them on the Shelby as standard equipment.

I too have read the testing done by the manufacturers on their products to include the dirtier they get the better they filter (to a certain degree) but I've always felt the biggest selling point on the oiled vs non-oiled filters was the re-usability. This wasn't meant to be a debate on whither a filter is needed or not as a filter of some type is needed for longevity of the motor, just the fact that there are other options on types to use and I plan on to explore and appreciate the part numbers being listed. :blush:

If an "oiled" airfliter was that much better, I'm sure Ford would have put them on the Shelby as standard equipment.

Just like they put on control arms with bushings that eliminate wheel hop and tires that can plant the power the car puts out. :hysterical:

If Ford made the GT500 to the expectations some people have it would cost much more than it does. The aftermarket is there to fill in the voids that Ford was not able to due to its budget constraints.

Wasn't aware of a "MAF sensor cleaner", I just used an electronic turner cleaner spray which has been around for years and probably the same or similar. Not sure on the gas mask statement either, I spent a lot of time under MOPP level 4 conditions in another life and don't see how it relates to a oiled vs non-oiled air filter on a car. If an "oiled" airfliter was that much better, I'm sure Ford would have put them on the Shelby as standard equipment.

I too have read the testing done by the manufacturers on their products to include the dirtier they get the better they filter (to a certain degree) but I've always felt the biggest selling point on the oiled vs non-oiled filters was the re-usability. This wasn't meant to be a debate on whither a filter is needed or not as a filter of some type is needed for longevity of the motor, just the fact that there are other options on types to use and I plan on to explore and appreciate the part numbers being listed. :blush:

Ok, I'm sure most of the people on the forum don't know what MOPP 4 is, I do and have uncounted hours experience. A gas mask is an air filter, is is not? I was only using it as an analogy to point out the importance of getting filtered air to the desired location, i.e the lungs or the motor.

Just like they put on control arms with bushings that eliminate wheel hop and tires that can plant the power the car puts out. :hysterical:

If Ford made the GT500 to the expectations some people have it would cost much more than it does. The aftermarket is there to fill in the voids that Ford was not able to due to its budget constraints.

+1 NAIL ON THE HEAD!

Ok, I'm sure most of the people on the forum don't know what MOPP 4 is, I do and have uncounted hours experience. A gas mask is an air filter, is is not? I was only using it as an analogy to point out the importance of getting filtered air to the desired location, i.e the lungs or the motor.

+1 NAIL ON THE HEAD!

I wasn't advocating not using an air-filter, only the opportunity to use an improved air-filter that didn't need to be oiled. As I said, I've used the oiled K&N's for over 20 years.

If you're familar with MOPP4 and have had the opportunity to use it operationally, then thanks for your service. Not many people have now days. :salute:

+1 NAIL ON THE HEAD!

Thanks for Your Service, MOPP 4 is no fun, ESP in 90 deg Heat.

Appreciate all the comments, looks loike I'm going to try the SynthaMax. At 6500 miles you should see how dirty the filter is where the tubing comes into the airbox.

Has any one used a PRE-FILTER yet ?

Archived