TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft

• 1 month later...

So it sounds to me like this is a... "I did everything else and I have $700-900 burning a whole in my pocket"... mod. Fair to say?

So the Stock DS is just fine for SC'd 500-550hp?

There are a lot of guys on this site that don't have aluminum driveshafts and do have superchargers. My car dyno'ed 490 rwhp which is good so i think i probably gained about 25 hp with the shorty's and d.s. but 10 to 12 hp with driveshaft isn't much on a supercharged car. I wished i had the infomation you already have before i installed my d.s. There's a whole lot better places you could spend your money than on an aluminum d.s. It's all about bang for the buck. I lost 21 lbs on a digital scale which is significant but if i don't have a seat of the pants feel then it's not worth it to me on account i'm not running against a clock. Good luck.

Good article in April 2011 edition of HOTROD magazine.

It's all about what to expect to break when you add power to 05-11 Mustangs. Bases it on some pretty experienced folks that have been tuning modular Fords for awhile. Additionally gives HP ranges on what the stock parts can be expected to handle.

"The stock two-piece driveshaft can break as low as 450 HP." I don't have a one-piece driveshaft, but it's at least some food for thought.... :read:

You should scan in that article and post it for us, that sounds like some good info to have!

Will do, I'm on th road today, but I'll scan it as soon as I get home!! It's definitely worth reading..

Good article in April 2011 edition of HOTROD magazine.

It's all about what to expect to break when you add power to 05-11 Mustangs. Bases it on some pretty experienced folks that have been tuning modular Fords for awhile. Additionally gives HP ranges on what the stock parts can be expected to handle.

"The stock two-piece driveshaft can break as low as 450 HP." I don't have a one-piece driveshaft, but it's at least some food for thought.... :read:

I have one on order with the DriveShaft Shop in NC and had one on the Black Shelby. I had griven thought to a carbon fiber one from PST

The guys at Appalachian Performance also agree it quickly becomes the week link.

Andrew

There are a lot of guys on this site that don't have aluminum driveshafts and do have superchargers. My car dyno'ed 490 rwhp which is good so i think i probably gained about 25 hp with the shorty's and d.s. but 10 to 12 hp with driveshaft isn't much on a supercharged car. I wished i had the infomation you already have before i installed my d.s. There's a whole lot better places you could spend your money than on an aluminum d.s. It's all about bang for the buck. I lost 21 lbs on a digital scale which is significant but if i don't have a seat of the pants feel then it's not worth it to me on account i'm not running against a clock. Good luck.

That 21 lbs is rotating mass, it does a lot more than you think, it is not the same as just taking off 21 lbs. I can not tell you how much mine added because I had it done with my supercharger, but the fact that I have not heard one complaint about the Dyno-tech made me go with it. Mine is smooth as can be, all about the installation and buying the right shaft...... I did get 495RWHP and Dennis said that was 10-12 higher than usual, he said that could have to do with the driveshaft. Not sure either way, but I am happy with mine.

• 2 months later...

Archived