TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacement Tires & Rims?

GTH298

Now that #54 Supercharged is running like it should....has anyone changed the rims and/or tires? I understand that the tire size is not longer available.

Randy

OK, I probably have over 30 hours of work in all of this.

The wheel backspace & offset, combined with the arching to accomodate the calipers, would require custom made wheels. We were unable to find any other vehicle with a similar set of specs. The goal of this was to go to a 19" or larger wheel to try and maintain tire size. The quote I got for custom wheels was almost $2,000 each!

Next...

I did a huge amount of research, comparing tire sizes and trying to find matched sets of front & rear. That was important to me, I didn't want different tires front to rear. I finally ended up finding two sizes:

Front 275/35ZR18

Rear 335/30ZR18

I found three different tires available in these sizes:

BF Goodrich G-Force KDW NT

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Pirelli P-Zero Rosso

All 3 are Y speed rated (186 MPH), all 3 are AA traction

BFG has a 300 treadwear

Michelin has 220 treadwear

Pirelli has 160 treadwear

The prices were a big difference, all prices were found at Discount Tire for all 4 tires, not including taxes, etc.

BFG $996

Michelin $1594

Pirelli $1780

I went with the KDW NT, the increase in treadwear and lower price being the deciding factors. They were highly rated by users, the only complaint was high noise from the aggressive tread. I didn't figure that to be an issue with the S1 as it's pretty noisy all by itself! The speedometer is off by about 7% (it reads higher than I am actually going) but for the maybe 500 miles I've driven it I've just lived with it. I'm thinking of yanking the PCM and sending it off to have the speedo adjusted, and also to have a backup of the factory tune made just in case...

The car really handles now. Here are a couple of pictures of the new tires:

DSC00460-1.jpg

DSC00461-1.jpg

Damn that Red S1 looks good!!! :happy feet:

The tires look great. How many miles have you put on the S1? Do you drive it regularly? The more I drive mine, the better it runs.....wow, does it run nice right now. Of coarse, it cost me ~$3500 to get this way but, part of it was the learning curve.

I bought a naturally aspirated #123, and there is a huge difference in performance. I will keep the SC #54 and sell the #123.

I like your roll bar, was that a Shelby option back in the day?

I am also looking at getting a 64 CSX7000, how do you like yours?

Randy

I've put about 1000 miles on it in ~18 months. I don't drive it much, maybe once a month. When I first got it I drove it a lot, about 600 miles, then I had to replace the clutch and tires. I haven't driven it as much since then, but I tend to drive a car a lot when I first get it. After the first season I drive them less than 1000 miles a year.

The roll bar was an option, not many got it, but this is a very heavily optioned car. The car had a sticker of just under $200k. The only option it doesn't have is the carbon fiber dash.

I haven't driven 7506 yet, it will be ready in a couple of weeks. I'll have it at the Bash in January if you'll be there. You can check out more details here

Damn that Red S1 looks good!!! :happy feet:

The tires look great. How many miles have you put on the S1? Do you drive it regularly? The more I drive mine, the better it runs.....wow, does it run nice right now. Of coarse, it cost me ~$3500 to get this way but, part of it was the learning curve.

I bought a naturally aspirated #123, and there is a huge difference in performance. I will keep the SC #54 and sell the #123.

I like your roll bar, was that a Shelby option back in the day?

I am also looking at getting a 64 CSX7000, how do you like yours?

Randy

• 4 months later...

OK, I probably have over 30 hours of work in all of this.

The wheel backspace & offset, combined with the arching to accomodate the calipers, would require custom made wheels. We were unable to find any other vehicle with a similar set of specs. The goal of this was to go to a 19" or larger wheel to try and maintain tire size. The quote I got for custom wheels was almost $2,000 each!

Next...

I did a huge amount of research, comparing tire sizes and trying to find matched sets of front & rear. That was important to me, I didn't want different tires front to rear. I finally ended up finding two sizes:

Front 275/35ZR18

Rear 335/30ZR18

I found three different tires available in these sizes:

BF Goodrich G-Force KDW NT

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Pirelli P-Zero Rosso

All 3 are Y speed rated (186 MPH), all 3 are AA traction

BFG has a 300 treadwear

Michelin has 220 treadwear

Pirelli has 160 treadwear

The prices were a big difference, all prices were found at Discount Tire for all 4 tires, not including taxes, etc.

BFG $996

Michelin $1594

Pirelli $1780

I went with the KDW NT, the increase in treadwear and lower price being the deciding factors. They were highly rated by users, the only complaint was high noise from the aggressive tread. I didn't figure that to be an issue with the S1 as it's pretty noisy all by itself! The speedometer is off by about 7% (it reads higher than I am actually going) but for the maybe 500 miles I've driven it I've just lived with it. I'm thinking of yanking the PCM and sending it off to have the speedo adjusted, and also to have a backup of the factory tune made just in case...

The car really handles now. Here are a couple of pictures of the new tires:

DSC00460-1.jpg

DSC00461-1.jpg

Wow. I had no idea there would be a problem replacing tires. Thanks for sharing your time and research on rubber. I love that red car and all your collection as well. Is it hard to decide which one to drive?

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the research. I too looked at wheels and tire options. i ended up with a slightly undersized solution to keep the car off the ground a bit more- Faulken makes a very high performance option in 255/40 for the fronts and 295/40 for the rears. I previously used these tires on my E63 AMG car (two sets) and found them to wear well and handle very well after getting warm.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

I HAVE TWO ORIGINAL USED  FRONT TIRES FOR YOUR SERIES 1 ,ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO I DROVE MY SERIES1 FROM NY TO Boca Raton FLORIDA  PROBABLY HAVE 5000 MILES ON THEM NO RIMS . IF YOUR TOP LEAKS IN RAIN I FOUND OUT WHAT TO DO TO STOP IT ,ALSO HAVE FRONT BLACK BRA FOR NOSE   I ALSO HAVE BRAND NEW WINDOW RUBBER  FOR SIDEOF CONVERTIBLE TOP NEW, I OWNED IT FOR 20 YEARS  SOLD AT AUCTION  CELL 646 236 7914 RAY FORKEL 

Archived