TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Where Were You On December 8, 1980?

I for one was standing , (oddly) in a SuperX drugstore looking at records...33 LP's in Scottsdale Arizona. The news came over the stores radio station. At that time there was no Sirius or Muzak.

:cry:

:salute:

I miss ya John!

Strawberry Fields Forever!!!!!!!

I wondered when someone would post a thread on this. I was sleeping...probably had to get up for school the next day...maybe...I don't remember. But for some reason I fell asleep with the television on and when I woke up they were reporting the shooting. I think it was about 3am or so. I really didn't know how big of a deal the Beatles were back then. I was into KISS at the time...and really nobody else.

I remember Howard Cosell anouncing this

tragedy on Monday Night Football.......John Lennons

death definitely rocked the world.......

Dave,

+1... time seemed to stop that night and it was unbelievable to think that a Beatle was gone.

Wick, thanks for posting the pics of Strawberry Fields! :salute:

I thought I would just add something that I omitted from the op. SVT NAJA just said here that time seemed to stand still for a moment...A Beatle was gone. The next day where we lived in AZ. there were vigils being held in lots of places. People getting together at parks and large enough places for many people to park their cars and gather. Gina and I went to a park in Tempe Az. My memory of that day is incredibly vivid! We pulled up to the park's parking lot...got out of the car, and began to walk over to the crouched and sitting crowd that was growing by the minute. Here's the memorable part. WHISPER QUIET outside!! A few people had guitars, and were strumming them to Beatles songs 'quietly', but other than that...whisper quiet! You expect to hear white noise in a park. But here were all of these people paying quiet respect to someone that obviously meant more to all of us than just some singer / songwriter.

I'm not saying that John was some kind of messiah or anything like that, but man-o-man the affect this guy had on such an apparently huge part of the population, tells you that he was highly respected!!

John Lennon was more than just a singer / songwriter, IMHO. He was truly a humanitarian who was taken from the planet before he really realized his full potential at it. Who knows what he would / could have achieved had he been the 70 year old guy that he would be now?

:rip: John

Very well said Bikeboy!

The Friday night after John was shot, a couple of friends and I went to the Dakota. I was 16 and a sophmore in High School.

It was very eery. Everyone holding candles and just like you said....

whisper quiet with a few small circles quietly strumming a guitar and singing his songs in the softest voices Ive ever heard....

we stayed there for hours....it was almost like he wasnt really gone if we didnt go home, no one wanted to leave......

the next morning my brother and I drove to our Dad's house in upstate NY for the weekend.....

on the ride home Sunday afternoon, my brother and I were listening to WNEW-FM....there was a vigil in Central Park

to honor John.....thousands of people attended..........they aired it live on the radio....there was a moment of silence........

we pulled over on the NYS Thruway to bow our heads........after the moment was over.....they started playing Imagine.....

well of course, we were crying in the car just sitting there.............as the song concluded....we pulled back onto the road....

at that moment we realized ....that every car on the road had pulled over.....the New York State Thruway mind you...

no one was driving......everyone was just reflecting.......

John's effect on many was profound.....I count myself in those numbers!

RIP John! :salute:

Very well said Bikeboy!

The Friday night after John was shot, a couple of friends and I went to the Dakota. I was 16 and a sophmore in High School.

It was very eery. Everyone holding candles and just like you said....

whisper quiet with a few small circles quietly strumming a guitar and singing his songs in the softest voices Ive ever heard....

we stayed there for hours....it was almost like he wasnt really gone if we didnt go home, no one wanted to leave......

the next morning my brother and I drove to our Dad's house in upstate NY for the weekend.....

on the ride home Sunday afternoon, my brother and I were listening to WNEW-FM....there was a vigil in Central Park

to honor John.....thousands of people attended..........they aired it live on the radio....there was a moment of silence........

we pulled over on the NYS Thruway to bow our heads........after the moment was over.....they started playing Imagine.....

well of course, we were crying in the car just sitting there.............as the song concluded....we pulled back onto the road....

at that moment we realized ....that every car on the road had pulled over.....no one was driving......everyone was just reflecting.......

John's effect on many was profound.....I count myself in those numbers!

RIP John! :salute:

Great story, Michael...right back at ya!

Chris

What a sad twist of irony. Here's this gentle giant who just wants love and peace all over the planet, and gets taken away in such a haneous fashion. If he was a son of a bitch child molestor or something terrible like that, then it would appear an eye for an eye. But in this case, there couldn't be a more unselfish, giving man.

I was sitting in my car just outside of the company I worked for at that time. I was on a dinner break listening to radio station KLOS when the news hit. I was deeply sadded by the loss, extreemly angry that someone would shoot a Beatle..any Beatle, and then wished that it was a dream and did not really happen. Like the Space Shuttle Challenger accident and 9/11/01, I will never forget where I was at and what I was doing when I heard/saw the news about these tradgic events.

I'm still sadded by John's murder, and wonder what he would have accomplished if he were still alive.

RIP John, you are still loved by millions.

What a sad twist of irony. Here's this gentle giant who just wants love and peace all over the planet, and gets taken away in such a haneous fashion. If he was a son of a bitch child molestor or something terrible like that, then it would appear an eye for an eye. But in this case, there couldn't be a more unselfish, giving man.

Very true...Like the song say's only the good die young.

Archived