TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What would YOU do?

Hey all, I am going to order the 4:10's; found them on sale at American Muscle $20 bucks less that anyone else w/ free shipping. Anyway, I have a question. I'm assuming that I need to also order the "Installation Kit", which is $35.00, however they also offer an "Installation and Bearing Kit" which is $75.00. Do I need all that??

Thanks for the help!

I won't be installing these gears until probably next Spring but I figure I may as well get it cheaper while I can.

edit - here is the link --> 4:10 Gears American Muscle

Go ahead and get the complete kit with the bearings and races. Gears are something you want done right. I'd get them installed by someone who really knows their stuff, too - they aren't just a "bolt on". The backlash and contact pattern need to be set up by someone who knows what they're doing if you want long life and reliability from your new gears. Be sure to get quality gears, too - it's not a good place to scrimp.

I haven't had the gear swap in my Shelby, but I put 4.10s in my '01 GT and they were, by far, the biggest bang for the buck I have ever done on a vehicle. I had them installed at the local Ford dealer so in the event that something went wrong I'd have some assurance of the installer making things right. Never had any problems, though, and I put 40K miles on the car after the gear swap.

I'm curious if there's any fuel economy change with the 4.10s on the S197 cars. I was warned about taking a big hit on mileage when I did them on my '01, by "experts" who only knew what they read on the web. Couldn't have been further from the truth. I logged every fuel stop during the three years I owned the car and if anything, my fuel mileage went up a bit with the gears. I took it on a 1600-mile vacation trip after the install and averaged 25.4 mpg on the trip, and even logged one tank at 27.2 (mostly highway driving).

With your new gears, the biggest problem you'll have is that idiotic grin that'll be pasted all over your face for the next two weeks - it really is a huge improvement.

Thanks for your reply. I have one other question - is a speedo recalibration necessary w/ a change of gears only?

Definitely. When I put the 4.10s on my car, I had a shop in Houston install the widget that corrected the speedo. It was a 300 mile trip to Houston that day (according to the odometer)!!!

I'm not sure what the correct procedure is with the new cars, as far as speedo correction. I bought a deal from Abbott up in Arkansas - the shop in Houston had it in the car in less than an hour.

http://www.abbott-tach.com/Welcome.html

By the way, just the gear install knocked over three tenths off my quarter mile time. I don't know how familiar you are with drag racing numbers, but that is HUGE. The only thing I did to the car that came close to that was when I finally put some slicks on it - which the gears made necessary. My starting line traction, already poor, went out the window with the 4.10s. The only regret I had with the gears was that I hadn't gone to 4.30s......if I was doing another '99-04 I'd do the 4.30s in a heartbeat.

• 3 months later...

Hey all, I am going to order the 4:10's; found them on sale at American Muscle $20 bucks less that anyone else w/ free shipping. Anyway, I have a question. I'm assuming that I need to also order the "Installation Kit", which is $35.00, however they also offer an "Installation and Bearing Kit" which is $75.00. Do I need all that??

Thanks for the help!

I won't be installing these gears until probably next Spring but I figure I may as well get it cheaper while I can.

edit - here is the link --> 4:10 Gears American Muscle

Ilmor,

Did you ever get your mods done? I'm having 4:10's installed today along with the Shelby axle girdle, panhard rod relocation bracket and a-arm support brace. I was a little aprehensive to make the swap, but most everyone I talked to said they loved them so i pulled the trigger. I'll let you know what I think.

Dave

OK, I know all you guys are good at making suggestions and providing opinions...so...

Let's say that "someone" saved up $700 to $1000 bucks (I'm not there yet but I'm slowly working on it)....

What mods would you do? :headscratch:

I've already done the brakes, the lower control arms, the panhard bar, the Carrol Shelby signature...

I'm not interested in changing the wheels, or the tires at this time...

All my mods to date are in my "sig" below.

FYI - I am thinking about either the aluminum driveshaft, or the Brenspeed Tune and 4:10 gears. Whatever I do will probably happen next Spring or early Summer...

gears.

Archived