TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What would YOU do?

OK, I know all you guys are good at making suggestions and providing opinions...so...

Let's say that "someone" saved up $700 to $1000 bucks (I'm not there yet but I'm slowly working on it)....

What mods would you do? :headscratch:

I've already done the brakes, the lower control arms, the panhard bar, the Carrol Shelby signature...

I'm not interested in changing the wheels, or the tires at this time...

All my mods to date are in my "sig" below.

FYI - I am thinking about either the aluminum driveshaft, or the Brenspeed Tune and 4:10 gears. Whatever I do will probably happen next Spring or early Summer...

OK, I know all you guys are good at making suggestions and providing opinions...so...

Let's say that "someone" saved up $700 to $1000 bucks (I'm not there yet but I'm slowly working on it)....

I've already done the brakes, the lower control arms, the panhard bar, the Carrol Shelby signature...

FYI - I am thinking about either the aluminum driveshaft, or the Brenspeed Tune and 4:10 gears. Whatever I do will probably happen next Spring or early Summer...

I think the tune & gears will give you the most for your money. The tune itself gave my car a noticable improvement, considering the gears myself down the road.

I think you should take you and your car on a vacation ; Some place warm where she will enjoy herself. :hysterical:

Scotty :peelout:

I would keep saving until I had enough for a supercharger.

But for now.. since you could do it for only a few hundred bucks:

clear/smoked front signals

lower billet grill

tinted windows

billet antenna

sequentials

Yes.. I'm not much of a HP kinda guy unless I'm going all in on a supercharger.. Sure, I could do MANY things to my car to add HP here and there.. but I might as well just save up for a supercharger..

If you were looking for some HP:

pulleys

change the cams (I'm guessing this costs a lot)

different mufflers

etc..

You are on the right track with gears and tune.If you aren't planning on s/c your car any time soon then there is nothing more impressive for a seat of the pants feel than 410's. I installed the d/s and it was over 800.00 to install with upper 3rd. link to set the pinion angle. This is not a bad mod but for the money you get more bang for your buck with the Brenspeed tune at half the price and even greater performance with the gears. If you ever s/c then you will lose your tune as this is a car specific mod and you would need a new tune for s/c car. I'm s/charged now and i still have my 410's and d/s so you wouldn't lose these mods if you ever decide to s/c. Good luck .

I would go with the Shelby gauge set. Fairly easy to install, looks good, and fairly priced.

These are all good ideas; I knew you all would come up w/ some.

I've pretty much resolved myself to never affording a supercharger so I'm not even going to bother. I gotta put my daughter through college in only a few more years and then retire about the same time!

Based on what I've seen of these comments so far, however, I'm thinking alum. driveshaft and gears now...I'm not really into the dress-up mods because my goal has always been "performance first", except for the Carrol Shelby signature of course (which I'm sure actually did add some power to the car), since the SGT looks so good to begin with.

These are all good ideas; I knew you all would come up w/ some.

I've pretty much resolved myself to never affording a supercharger so I'm not even going to bother. I gotta put my daughter through college in only a few more years and then retire about the same time!

Based on what I've seen of these comments so far, however, I'm thinking alum. driveshaft and gears now...I'm not really into the dress-up mods because my goal has always been "performance first", except for the Carrol Shelby signature of course (which I'm sure actually did add some power to the car), since the SGT looks so good to begin with.

id just do 4:10's,underdrive pulleys, dyno tune!

Plenty good ideas.

For me, one of the absolutely remarkable improvements, especially one that is in effect every time you drive the car, is advanced struts and shocks. Sure, the Shelby GTs come with improved units, but get those Konis on there and ride the dream every time you leave your driveway.

A tune is good, but unless you are on the throttle all the time, it's just along for the ride.

Gears are better: properly installed they are the least obtrusive performance mod, and a smile-maker when you do get on it.

I have no experience with special driveshafts, but understand they are worthwhile, properly done.

Either the 4.10's or I like scotty's idea of a vacation too!

Do you track the car much?

Ha haaa....vacations are another reason why I can't afford a supercharger....

No, I've only tracked the car once in 3 years, but I hope to do it again one time next year...plus a couple of autocrosses...

Good thread.

I just received my Brenspeed Tuner/Tunes today - will load tomorrow. 410's sound like a popular upgrade. What brand did everyone buy (Ford Racing)? Is there anything else you need to get to make the 410 swap - I remember that the "old" Shelby Performance Parts also had a gear installation kit, with a few parts in it. Did anyone install the Shelby 8.8" Axle Cover, while you made the gear swap?

Thanks,

Yeah, I thought about doing the Shelby axle cover also...that's the problem, one expense always seems to lead to another!!

On the other hand, I note that the Shelby cover does not work w/ the watts link, so if I decided to go that route someday... :confused:

I think there is also a "KR" cover that may be an option? Not sure....

Good thread.

I just received my Brenspeed Tuner/Tunes today - will load tomorrow. 410's sound like a popular upgrade. What brand did everyone buy (Ford Racing)? Is there anything else you need to get to make the 410 swap - I remember that the "old" Shelby Performance Parts also had a gear installation kit, with a few parts in it. Did anyone install the Shelby 8.8" Axle Cover, while you made the gear swap?

Thanks,

Definately update us on the tune install...I am adding a tuner to my last minute Christmas list...and the general opinion is either Brenspeed or Bamachips for the tunes, is one better than the other? (need to make a decision on where to buy from)

Also, does anyone have 410s installed in an automatic? If so, any issues to report, or just bigger smiles?

Tune, gears and a steeda carbon or plastic intake elbow. If you are going SC later don't spend the money on delete plates, Under drive pulleys etc as they will have to be removed for the SC. The drive shaft is a good option as well.

Yeah, I thought about doing the Shelby axle cover also...that's the problem, one expense always seems to lead to another!!

On the other hand, I note that the Shelby cover does not work w/ the watts link, so if I decided to go that route someday... :confused:

I think there is also a "KR" cover that may be an option? Not sure....

You don't need a new cover you just took care of that "Rusty Butt" !

I understand being "practical", shit, i'm an accountant! but you don't appear to be too old to say 13k worth of goodies are out of reach!

That said, if you think you really want more power keep your eyes open for a deal... you don't have to do the "official" gt/sc to have a monster car :D

Tune and gears hands down. Then buy us all a beer with the $ you have left over. :)

I like that suggestion! :beerchug:

Hahaha!

Your car is gorgeous. Your mods look to have been a thoughtful, fun, and uniquely personifying. I am too damn impulsive and most of my decisions are knee-jerk. ;-)

Thank you, I appreciate that nice comment! :beerchug:

Actually, my goal has been to work from the ground up...suspension and lighter weight....so I guess I'm mostly keeping to that plan....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I am going to order the 4:10's; found them on sale at American Muscle $20 bucks less that anyone else w/ free shipping. Anyway, I have a question. I'm assuming that I need to also order the "Installation Kit", which is $35.00, however they also offer an "Installation and Bearing Kit" which is $75.00. Do I need all that??

Thanks for the help!

I won't be installing these gears until probably next Spring but I figure I may as well get it cheaper while I can.

edit - here is the link --> 4:10 Gears American Muscle

Archived