TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just installed a TVS. Now I need new tires!!!!

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've written a post on here. I don't know if anyone saw but my car was in the Oct 10 issue of 5.0. They did a tech article on a Zex nitrous kit being installed on the Shelby. It made about 617 rwhp and close to 700 lb/tq to the tires! It was hard to handle but the nitrous didn't hit until it was full throttle and I didn't use it that much. Nitrous can be tricky with bottle pressure and everything so I decided I wanted more traditional power. I just got back from my local speed shop here in Phoenix (AMP) and got a 2.3L TVS and a cobra throttle body. With a custom tune it made 635 rwhp and 600 lb/tq. I was truly amazed! I got a chance to get up on it and I love it but mad I have major traction issued. I get squrilly all the way till 3rd gear and even got a little squirlly on the freeway at 60mph with a 3rd gear punch. So now my next investment is a set of drag radial!

Here is my question. I just put a set of new tires a few months ago. I went with Yokohama Advan sports 265/30/19-295/30/19. I would like to keep the front tires and I like the stock look of the wheels at least for now. I read a post by a member here that bought a set of 2010 SVT wheels from American Muscle (18by10) and mounted a pair of Nitto NT555R's with them. I'm leaning on going this route too but I would have to get the rims painted to match the front wheels. Another option though would be buying a pair of OEM 2010 Convertible rims or a set of used 2010 vert rims which are 18by9.5. On Nitto's website they recommend a 305/45/18 on a 9.5 rim, but would a 45 profile be too much sidewall on my car using a 18 in rim? Also I don't know if anyone could answer this but are the 201 vert rims the same finish as the 2010 coupe? What would you do in this situation? Thanks for your help!

Here are a few pics of the TVS under the hood

post-25250-040595100 1291659614_thumb.jpg

post-25250-040595100 1291659614_thumb.jpg

That was me that used the 18x10's. The tires were 40 side wall, not 45, and they were a little bit taller than OEM height. If you go the route of getting a pair of convertible wheels, remember those will need painting also; hence why I went with the 18x10's from American Muscle. Convertible finish is different from the coupe. You could damn near get all four 18's for the cost of painting just two, but you won't have the 19'' look up front AND you'll have to get two extra front tires. For me, the cost was about the same either way. The 10'' wide wheel did not cause the tire to bulge, and it hooked up fine. Only problem was wet driving...It made me nervous. Tended to hydroplane at freeway speeds over standing water and it was my daily driver so I had to choice but to drive in the rain. At slower speeds it did fine though. Just gotta take it easy.

Another option "maybe down the road" is getting aftermarket wheels in 10.5 to 11.5 in. Just make sure you get the correct backspacing! Trust me on that one...

Curious on the TVS, what kind of warranty coverage do you have--will they honor the oriiginal warranty for everything,or have they reduced coverage on the SC and clutch.I realize w nitorus youve apreadt crossed that bridge,but still curious

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've written a post on here. I don't know if anyone saw but my car was in the Oct 10 issue of 5.0. They did a tech article on a Zex nitrous kit being installed on the Shelby. It made about 617 rwhp and close to 700 lb/tq to the tires! It was hard to handle but the nitrous didn't hit until it was full throttle and I didn't use it that much. Nitrous can be tricky with bottle pressure and everything so I decided I wanted more traditional power. I just got back from my local speed shop here in Phoenix (AMP) and got a 2.3L TVS and a cobra throttle body. With a custom tune it made 635 rwhp and 600 lb/tq. I was truly amazed! I got a chance to get up on it and I love it but mad I have major traction issued. I get squrilly all the way till 3rd gear and even got a little squirlly on the freeway at 60mph with a 3rd gear punch. So now my next investment is a set of drag radial!

Here is my question. I just put a set of new tires a few months ago. I went with Yokohama Advan sports 265/30/19-295/30/19. I would like to keep the front tires and I like the stock look of the wheels at least for now. I read a post by a member here that bought a set of 2010 SVT wheels from American Muscle (18by10) and mounted a pair of Nitto NT555R's with them. I'm leaning on going this route too but I would have to get the rims painted to match the front wheels. Another option though would be buying a pair of OEM 2010 Convertible rims or a set of used 2010 vert rims which are 18by9.5. On Nitto's website they recommend a 305/45/18 on a 9.5 rim, but would a 45 profile be too much sidewall on my car using a 18 in rim? Also I don't know if anyone could answer this but are the 201 vert rims the same finish as the 2010 coupe? What would you do in this situation? Thanks for your help!

Somebody correct me if im wrong but I thought you get the the 18" 2010 style rim through ford racing for a fair price??

very nice. curious what SC pulley your running and what balancer? since i dont see an upper aux idler.

very nice. curious what SC pulley your running and what balancer? since i dont see an upper aux idler.

An out-of-the-box TVS has the same size pulley as the stock eaton, so you don't need an aux idler or larger idler.

Thx for the advise on the tires Jrhsvt. I'm going to order the set from American Muscle and have them painted and get the NT555r's. I wasn't sure that the vert rim Hopefully I'll be able to hook up a little bit more! Yes down the future I would love to get a much wider wheel. I think those True Forged rims are just the look that I'm looking for! I'm just looking for the most cost effective way of getting two drag radials on the rear and keep my fronts.

As for the warranty for the TVS, yes my nitrous system pretty much voided my warranty. I knew that coming in but it was a chance that I took. I believe that there is a 1 year warranty from Ford Racing if you buy it from Ford and have it installed from either Ford or an authorized shop. I actually bought mine used, it was my tuner's dad's charger and he is upgrading to a larger Whipple. I don't think I would qualify for any warranty buying a used one?

I believe that I am using the stock pulley belt that came with a stock TVS. When I was getting it installed we thought that I would be making around 10 lbs of boost, maybe 11lb and that would be pushing it. He had a smaller pulley and an aux idler that his dad ordered from a company. His dad never used it on the TVS when he installed it on his car originally. I don't remember the company so I will have to email him to find out what it was. I didn't ask what the size of the pulley was, it didn't look too much smaller than a stock one. We did have to install an aux idler. As soon as I get the name of the company and size of pulley I'll update this post. We were honestly both surprised that with the smaller pulley we were making over 15 lbs of boost now. I was really just expecting 12 pounds.

An out-of-the-box TVS has the same size pulley as the stock eaton, so you don't need an aux idler or larger idler.

2010+ TVS comes with a 2.8 pulley, as compare to the 70-09 3.0. My 08 TVS made 12psi, the '10 makes 15. All stock pullies.

Edited by mullens

• 5 weeks later...

Thx for the advise on the tires Jrhsvt. I'm going to order the set from American Muscle and have them painted and get the NT555r's. I wasn't sure that the vert rim Hopefully I'll be able to hook up a little bit more! Yes down the future I would love to get a much wider wheel. I think those True Forged rims are just the look that I'm looking for! I'm just looking for the most cost effective way of getting two drag radials on the rear and keep my fronts.

As for the warranty for the TVS, yes my nitrous system pretty much voided my warranty. I knew that coming in but it was a chance that I took. I believe that there is a 1 year warranty from Ford Racing if you buy it from Ford and have it installed from either Ford or an authorized shop. I actually bought mine used, it was my tuner's dad's charger and he is upgrading to a larger Whipple. I don't think I would qualify for any warranty buying a used one?

I believe that I am using the stock pulley belt that came with a stock TVS. When I was getting it installed we thought that I would be making around 10 lbs of boost, maybe 11lb and that would be pushing it. He had a smaller pulley and an aux idler that his dad ordered from a company. His dad never used it on the TVS when he installed it on his car originally. I don't remember the company so I will have to email him to find out what it was. I didn't ask what the size of the pulley was, it didn't look too much smaller than a stock one. We did have to install an aux idler. As soon as I get the name of the company and size of pulley I'll update this post. We were honestly both surprised that with the smaller pulley we were making over 15 lbs of boost now. I was really just expecting 12 pounds.

silersnake do you want to sell your stock eaton if so contact me at jpmarchini@aol.com thanks