TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bought a new TV last night....I know I know...

I wasnt even in the market for one, but Best Buy had a deal I couldnt refuse. I bought the new Panasonic 58" 3D Plasma. It retails for 3500.00, but I got it for 2700.00 with a 3d bluray player, and the Avatar 3D blu ray and 3 pair of glasses (Another 800.00 bucks bought seperately). The kicker is I got quadruple points for buying it on my rewards card which I never use, but hey, thats another 500.00 off. So I got all that for 2200.00. Plus, I have 36 months to pay it off no interest. With 3D movies costing 20.00 bucks a pop, I bet the money I save from NOT going to the theatre will save me quite a bit more, and now I will get to see the superbowl in 3D! Cant wait to see the Steelers win #7!

I did a little research, and the new Panasonic got better marks than the old Pioneer Elite, and apparently burn in is a thing of the past with plasmas now.

I wasnt even in the market for one, but Best Buy had a deal I couldnt refuse. I bought the new Panasonic 58" 3D Plasma. It retails for 3500.00, but I got it for 2700.00 with a 3d bluray player, and the Avatar 3D blu ray and 3 pair of glasses (Another 800.00 bucks bought seperately). The kicker is I got quadruple points for buying it on my rewards card which I never use, but hey, thats another 500.00 off. So I got all that for 2200.00. Plus, I have 36 months to pay it off no interest. With 3D movies costing 20.00 bucks a pop, I bet the money I save from NOT going to the theatre will save me quite a bit more, and now I will get to see the superbowl in 3D! Cant wait to see the Steelers win #7!

I did a little research, and the new Panasonic got better marks than the old Pioneer Elite, and apparently burn in is a thing of the past with plasmas now.

You can't beat that!!

If Big Ben and the team play the rest of the season, as they did last night..........................................they should at least be 'IN' the show!

That was one of the better football games I've seen in recent memory.

You can't beat that!!

If Big Ben and the team play the rest of the season, as they did last night..........................................they should at least be 'IN' the show!

That was one of the better football games I've seen in recent memory.

Im a huge steelers fan and let me tell you, it's definatly gut wrenching, being a steeler fan. They can never get a smooth win but boy am I thankful. I was lucky enough to see my team win the super bowl twice in the past 5 years and if they could do it again this year then hell yeah. i'm actually going to pittsburgh for the first time, december 19th against the jets with my dad. Should be a great time. I've already got the terrible towels!!!

Oh and congrats on the new TV. Thats an awesome deal. Did you take the GT350 to get it? :hysterical: Just kiddin

Im a huge steelers fan and let me tell you, it's definatly gut wrenching, being a steeler fan. They can never get a smooth win but boy am I thankful. I was lucky enough to see my team win the super bowl twice in the past 5 years and if they could do it again this year then hell yeah. i'm actually going to pittsburgh for the first time, december 19th against the jets with my dad. Should be a great time. I've already got the terrible towels!!!

Oh and congrats on the new TV. Thats an awesome deal. Did you take the GT350 to get it? :hysterical: Just kiddin

Sorry for getting sideways on your post Warren. But you did bring up the REAL "Americas Team" !!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Congrat's Warren on the purchase at Best Buy. I too purchased a 55" Samsung 3D LED (UN55C7000WF) with the Samsung 3D Player, 2 Samsung 3D Glasses, Shrek 1 to 4 3D Movies and Geek Squad Calibration, all for $2199. I have had the Samsung for over one month and LOVE IT. The day it was delieverd I started a Netflix account. I am now able to watch Netflix on the Samsung in the Living Room and Netflix on the Wii in the Master Bedroom, all at the same time. The technology has arrived and is being used. I too have the 36 months to pay the bill.

Tom

Sweet, I too just picked up a 46 inch Samsung 3D LED with the bundle from Best Buy. The 3D is awesome and the clarity of the blu ray is amazing, almost fake in a way. Word of advice, go big, now I wish I got the 55 inch but oh well. Now to look for a surround system :headscratch:

862c6f94.jpg

c86125eb.jpg

I wasn't even in the market for one, but Best Buy had a deal I couldn't refuse. I bought the new Panasonic 58" 3D Plasma. It retails for 3500.00, but I got it for 2700.00 with a 3d bluray player, and the Avatar 3D blu ray and 3 pair of glasses (Another 800.00 bucks bought seperately). The kicker is I got quadruple points for buying it on my rewards card which I never use, but hey, that's another 500.00 off. So I got all that for 2200.00. Plus, I have 36 months to pay it off no interest. With 3D movies costing 20.00 bucks a pop, I bet the money I save from NOT going to the Theatre will save me quite a bit more, and now I will get to see the superbowl in 3D! Cant wait to see the Steelers win #7!

Hi Warren,

Burn in has never really been a problem with the plasmas.(Set correctly)

When the TV is set in the showroom "blowtorch" mode (high contrast) they can burn in if the same picture is left on all day. The plasmas have a screen saver mode if they detect this.

There are a lot of myths about Plasma. The truth about plasma is it is the best picture out there. It has excellent black level, great off axis viewing, long life (47.5 year half life), 600Hz drive, and very lifelike picture. I'm glad you got one! However, I still think the Pioneer looks a bit better. I wish they still made them.

Anyway, here are the calibration settings for your new TV to get it looking really good.

Picture:

Picture Mode: THX

Contrast: 66

Brightness: 50

Color: 45

Tint: -1

Sharpness: 10

Color Temp: Warm2

Color Management: Off

x.v. Color: Off

Photo Enhancement: Off

C.A.T.S: Off

Video NR: Off

Blur Reduction: Off

Advance Options

Block NR: Off

Mosquito NR: Off

Black Level: Light

3:2 Pulldown: On

Service Menu Offsets

WB-ADJ MENU

R-DRV: -1

G-DRV: -11

B-DRV: +4

R-CUT: +1

G-CUT: 0

B-CUT: -3

These offsets must be entered for both Color matrices. You access the different matrices by using a 1080i/p signal for the HD matrix and 480i/p signal for the SD matrix.

Picture:

Picture Mode: Custom

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 57

Color: 39

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 11

Pro Settings:

W/B High R: 0

W/B High B: -1

W/B Low R: 0

W/B Low B: 0

Red Hue: 0 (VT25)

Green Hue: 0 (VT25)

Blue Hue: 0 (VT25)

Red Saturation: 0 (VT25)

Blue Saturation: 0 (VT25)

Green Saturation: 0 (VT25)

Black Extension: 0

Gamma Adjustment: 2.2

Panel Brightness: Mid

Contour Emphasis: Off

AGC: 0

Advance Options

3D

Picture Mode: Custom

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 57

Color: 35

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 11

Pro Settings:

W/B High R: -1

W/B High B: -5

W/B Low R: +8

W/B Low B: -2

(VT25)

Red Hue: 0 (VT25)

Green Hue: 0 (VT25)

Blue Hue: 0 (VT25)

Red Saturation: 0 (VT25)

Blue Saturation: 0 (VT25)

Green Saturation: 0 (VT25)

Black Extension: 0

Gamma Adjustment: 2.2

Panel Brightness: Mid

Contour Emphasis: Off

AGC: 0

Advance Options

Wow! Who needs Geek Squad?! Awesome, and thank you for the help there!

Torch40- :finger::hysterical: Yeah, that doesnt work so well since Circuit City went bye bye! Im not sure it worked real well with the car parts! But hey, it was worth a shot!:salute:

And Bike, you can always derail the subject to the Steelers without penalty...unless your username is James Harrison and the NFL starts moderating!:hysterical:

I own 2 Samsungs now, and I love them, but only the Panasonic has the 3D Avatar disc.:confused:

Forget the plasma tv's with the burn in problem. I think someone should check Warren wallet for a burning a hole in it problem. :hysterical:

Just kiddin Warren !!! and enjoy that new tv. :happy feet:

Scotty

Forget the plasma tv's with the burn in problem. I think someone should check Warren wallet for a burning a hole in it problem. :hysterical:

Just kiddin Warren !!! and enjoy that new tv. :happy feet:

Scotty

I'll tell ya what SCOTTY...if I had Warren's money, I'd throw mine away!

Soooooo, you buy a 3D tv.... and you mentioned superbowl in 3D.... how do you get 3D programming? is it primarily on blueray ?

The whole 3D effect can be done on any program but you will not get the full effect like the movies that are in 3D. I only know of one channel that broadcasts in 3D and that is ESPN 3D. There are only a few movies in 3D so the whole 3D thing still has ways to go.

Shelby owners have good taste in televisions also! That is a great tv, CNET rates it as one of the best pictures they have ever seen. I am looking at getting one myself. When Panasonic hired many of the engineers from Pioneer, they placed their plasmas at the front of the line for quality.

Shelby owners have good taste in televisions also! That is a great tv, CNET rates it as one of the best pictures they have ever seen. I am looking at getting one myself. When Panasonic hired many of the engineers from Pioneer, they placed their plasmas at the front of the line for quality.

In the end days of Pioneer Plasma, Panasonic was making the glass for Pioneer. They have the pioneer tech and they look great.

Good Morning All....

Thanks Warren......

we were at Best Buy Saturday morning getting our new TV.....:doh:

my 3 foot thick 15 year old tv finally took a crap and stopped working about 4 or 5 weeks ago...

we moved the 22" tv into the living room from the bedroom and have been watching that the last month....

Lets just say its less than exciting on Football Sundays......

we were going to wait till Spring to get a new tv when we move....

but after I saw Warrens post.....and printed it....and showed it to Dale......while waiting till Spring made sense in our schedule,

all the deals they are running now would be over....

so we took the 36 month interest free financing, the bundle with the free bluray player, 3d starter pack and movies!

our new tv will be delivered this Friday! :happy feet: :happy feet:

thanks warren!

Im printing your post about the GT350 now........wish me luck! :hysterical:

I'll play !

We went out to Nebraska Furniture Mart last Friday and ordered the following using their no financing till Jan 2013

55" Samsung HD LED TV

(3) Theater recliners (electric controls)

Shelf to house the Samsung surround sound I bought earlier, Directv and other components

New computer desk for the downstairs office

Free 32" HD TV (off brand)

With all the tv's out there...Which is better Plasma,LCD or LED...????

I liked the LED best, but I recommend going to one of the stores and checknig out the pictures side by side........

the salespeople kept saying the Panasonic Plasma was voted #1 but I didnt think it was as crisp as the LED, I just couldnt take my eyes off the LED one.....

we went with a 55" LED......:shrug:

Having just went thru this "dilema" myself at Sam's Club 3 weeks ago... Here was my take...

LED = Top of the line, but the most expensive since they are this year's technology...

LCD = Some brands as good as some LED models, but much cheaper as they have been around for a year or two...

PLASMA = Depending on the model, can be as good as LED, but doesn't seem to come with all the other "features" like 3D, Internet Capable, etc.

Also, the PLASMA screens I saw seemed to have more of a glare from background lighting than the LCD/LED models sitting right beside them...

But for me, I really needed to find a TV that would take up the same space as my older, rear-projection Samsung that would no longer auto-focus, etc.

Also, had to fit in my limited budget for this year's holiday expenses...

Ended up with the 52" Sony Bravia LCD...

And liked it so much, went back the next week for the 32" version for our bedroom...

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to me happy%20feet.gif

Gregg

07SGT0547

If you quit smoking, (avatar) we will adopt you~ happy feet.gif:hysterical:

That's bitter beer face Wicked. :beerchug: Let me grab some Tex-Mex and I'll :shift: your direction with my girl-ish figure :hysterical2:

Well...

First, the LED is an LCD TV. The LED is the lamp that backlights the LCD panel. Non LED LCD TV's use a xenon bulb or similar.

The LED is whiter and uses less energy. Also, both LCD and Plasma have the same internet features and 3D.

LCD/LED Pros and Con's...

The Bad-

The LCD is bad for off axis viewing.

The picture looks over processed (that can be fixed by taking it off the showroom settings--turning down contrast and sharpness)

Lifespan not as long as it should be.

Can be expensive

Black levels not as good as plasma

The Good-

Lightweight and very low profile.

Some have matte screens and don't reflect glare--some (Toshiba) are very reflective. You need to check that before buying.

Energy Efficient

PLASMA

Bad-

They are heavy.

Not quite as thin as LCD

Some are very reflective

GOOD-

More screen size for your dollar

600Hz native

excellent blacks and grays (very close to 6500k out of the box)

excellent off axis viewing

more natural picture

Extremely long life--47.5 year half life

I think the Plasma has the best picture quality. But that is my opinion. You should buy what you like the best. Don't use specifications in your shopping, use your eyes. Most specs are just marketing hype. I will be at the CES show next month to see all the latest models.

As for 3D, there is not much material out there to watch. That will change in the future. I personally don't like the idea of having to wear glasses to watch TV or a film. That will change too. Glassless 3D one day.

I liked the LED best, but I recommend going to one of the stores and checknig out the pictures side by side........

the salespeople kept saying the Panasonic Plasma was voted #1 but I didnt think it was as crisp as the LED, I just couldnt take my eyes off the LED one.....

we went with a 55" LED......:shrug:

Subjective decision on the "best picture." I just bought the Panasonic vt25 series plasma that this thread started with and it is amazing! I have always been a Sony fan, but I now see true black for the first time. CNET says: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20016466-1.html

Archived