TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Jack Stand Recommendations - Need your thoughts!

F150 Duke

Hello All,

Well I have finally finished the garage! Tonight I'll be waxing the car, detailing the interior, putting in fuel saver, hooking up the battery manager, and then putting in dryer sheets. After that my '11 GT500 will go inside the bubble on Saturday! :( That's where it will sit for at least 4-5 months while our MN roads are covered in snow. It hasn't been driver for about a month as we've had snow here in MN. I've had it in the garage under numerous tarps while I finished painting the garage and installing new lights. Luckily the weather was pleasant the month before when we were doing drywall and insulation so it got to leave the garage and come to work with me to that garage to avoid the construction. Pictures will be coming shortly....it's way cool!

I've already changed the oil and put an extra lb of air in each tire. I'm now also seriously considering four jack stands, one at each jack point, to raise the car an inch off the ground and help ensure the tires don't flat spot since they'll be sitting for 4-5 months.

Does anyone have any recommendations around doing this or not doing it, and if you recommend doing it, what type of jack stands do you recommend? I was thinking a NAPA generic stand and then putting padded carpet between the stand and the car to avoid any marks. Thoughts?

One thing that I'm afraid of is if the stands will cause the body or anything in the suspension to tweak over 4-5 months of sitting with all the weight at those four points. Not sure if that would happen or not.

Thanks!

Duke

Don't do it.

Two reasons:

1) Modern tires do not flat spot. For the last 9-10 years my summer vehicle has been parked for five months out of the year and I've never had a flat spotting problem. It simply does not happen with todays tires. I know people that have project cars that have been parked for years at a time and have had no problems.

2) Taking the load off your suspension is widely considered a bad idea. You can actually do some damage to your suspension by unloading it for 4-5 months. It's supposed to have load.

Don't do it.

Two reasons:

1) Modern tires do not flat spot. For the last 9-10 years my summer vehicle has been parked for five months out of the year and I've never had a flat spotting problem. It simply does not happen with todays tires. I know people that have project cars that have been parked for years at a time and have had no problems.

2) Taking the load off your suspension is widely considered a bad idea. You can actually do some damage to your suspension by unloading it for 4-5 months. It's supposed to have load.

I agree with Ezkill but if you do buy some jackstands stay away from the cheap "split tube" stands. Always go with the H/D cast jack stands.

Steve

Archived