TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Auto Pricing, Why do we get angry ??

gth0007

I love this thread! Thanks for posting.

I got my GT500 for MSRP. Long story, I've told on here before, but really is a mute point here.

I HAD signed up for my car @ a $5K ADM, before I was lucky enuf to get mine at MSRP. I was totally willing to pay it. Yes, I shopped around stealer to stealer for the 'lowest' ADM I could find, and settled at $5K over. TRANSLATION: I was willing to pay it! It's that simple...we here in America still operate on the supply / demand, capitolism theory. It's been said on this thread already, but bears re-mentioning. In America you can have anything you want, if you want to pay for it. Unfortunately, that is what creates ADM's.

It is and will be a problem with pricing as long as we have the capitolism mentality in our society. So, the people that get "angry" as you call it, are the ones that have a hrd time paying for the overpriced goods. It's an unfortunate thing, this capitolism, for the average Joe! As long as there is a guy with either the money in cash, or the stupidity in credit, that absolutely has to be the first swinging d__k in the neighborhood with the newest car on the block...we will have anger. It's a by product of this wonderful life we live, here in the U.S.

The cool thing is.........long after the excitement is over, (1978 Corvette Pace Car), the angry guy, can always have the last laugh at the swinging d__k, when his car is worth a small fraction of the MSRP. Then it's fun. :happy feet:

Our economic system depends on "supply & demand" to set prices. On non-life&death items it is appropriate and the "power" is in the consumer's hands - always. If you decide you want something now, you pay "now" prices, otherwise you wait until prices come down. I had been on the prowl for three years before I bought - mostly I was looking for something exactly as I wanted, but I also had the attitude of not paying more than MSRP - no matter what. I was looking for American Muscle and originally wanted a convertible Challenger - but, as we know, they backed out of building those. I also wanted to give the Camaro a fair shot and tried to test drive a Big V8 - Manual coupe last April (after having driven the Big Challenger and several Mustangs). The Chevy salesperson there invoked their version of "supply & demand" and told me that only the "right people" are allowed to test drive the big Camaros - I left immediately and didn't get a test drive (I had driven the V6 version and was not impressed). I decided on purchasing a convertible Mustang GT that afternoon. Less than a month later, my dealer got the Shelby in, and much to my surprise, it was decked out exactly as my soon to be ordered GT was going to be. The car was perfect, the price was right (although higher than the GT was going to be!), and I am extremely happy to be a Shelby owner. Point being - no matter what was being offered, I was in control of my purchase. Cars cannot be sold for more than the market can bear. And we are the market.

WTF is corn beer? :headscratch:

Oh Dude........You GOT to watch more TV.........There is a New Show called "Brew Master" where this Guy goes all over seeing how Beers are Brewed and then he even makes his own Brews. The other Day, He brewed Tomato Beer. Last Week they showed how one culture makes Spit Beer. They actually chew up this stuff mixing their Spit with it and then spit it into the Mix. Not just One Guy but a group of Guys. I'm glad I don't like Beer.........

Oh Dude........You GOT to watch more TV.........There is a New Show called "Brew Master" where this Guy goes all over seeing how Beers are Brewed and then he even makes his own Brews. The other Day, He brewed Tomato Beer. Last Week they showed how one culture makes Spit Beer. They actually chew up this stuff mixing their Spit with it and then spit it into the Mix. Not just One Guy but a group of Guys. I'm glad I don't like Beer.........

tes...I take back the comment that we are alot alike...you don't like beer???

Done! :hysterical: We was homies!!

Perhaps some of the disappointment comes from the fact that the Mustang is supposed to be an enthusiasts car. A car the average Joe can one day hope to buy. There are plenty of fast cars for the rich to buy, but the Mustang was the one go fast car within reach of the non-rich.

I think some people are angry, and I think rightly so perhaps, that those of means seem to have grown bored of their usual suspects and entered the Mustang market driving up prices leaving only the used market to many.

Perhaps some of the disappointment comes from the fact that the Mustang is supposed to be an enthusiasts car. A car the average Joe can one ay hope to buy. There are plenty of cars for the rich to buy that go fast but the Mustang was always a car within reach of the non-rich.

I think people are angry, and I think rightly so perhaps, that those of means seem to have grown bored of their usual suspects and entered the Mustang market driving up prices leaving only the used market to many.

Word. It's happened before, it will happen again no doubt. I'm from a rural background, where pickups are the vehicle of choice. Sometime in the mid-70's, it became more difficult to acquire a good, basic truck because some folks demanded more creature comforts, and the manufacturers were all too happy to accomodate them. Pound for pound, a truck used to be a great bargain. Try finding one without power windows, seats, leather, carpet, etc. In 1999, my "faithful" old Panhead let me down for the last time, so I bought a new Y2K Twin Cam Electra-Glide. I only found ONE dealer in the country that would sell it to me at list price, every other one wanted an insane ADM. Same thing has happened to rural real estate, keep getting crowded out by people that have no attachment to the soil...

Our economic system depends on "supply & demand" to set prices. On non-life&death items it is appropriate and the "power" is in the consumer's hands - always. If you decide you want something now, you pay "now" prices, otherwise you wait until prices come down. I had been on the prowl for three years before I bought - mostly I was looking for something exactly as I wanted, but I also had the attitude of not paying more than MSRP - no matter what. I was looking for American Muscle and originally wanted a convertible Challenger - but, as we know, they backed out of building those. I also wanted to give the Camaro a fair shot and tried to test drive a Big V8 - Manual coupe last April (after having driven the Big Challenger and several Mustangs). The Chevy salesperson there invoked their version of "supply & demand" and told me that only the "right people" are allowed to test drive the big Camaros - I left immediately and didn't get a test drive (I had driven the V6 version and was not impressed). I decided on purchasing a convertible Mustang GT that afternoon. Less than a month later, my dealer got the Shelby in, and much to my surprise, it was decked out exactly as my soon to be ordered GT was going to be. The car was perfect, the price was right (although higher than the GT was going to be!), and I am extremely happy to be a Shelby owner. Point being - no matter what was being offered, I was in control of my purchase. Cars cannot be sold for more than the market can bear. And we are the market.

Great points. I'm too cheap to pay a premium price for the "gotta have it now" car. I waited patiently for the SGTs to come down in price. So in 2008 I got the exact SGT I wanted for $32,600, brand new and it had a $40,109 window sticker. In the trunk I found two ADM price sheets, one for $11,000 over invoice and the other for $8,000. The whole car game is about what you want, how bad you want it, and what you're willing to pay.( in my opinion).

I paid the ADM for a few reasons, first being I was lead to believe the GT500 would only be a two year "limited edition" run and I didn't want to miss out, my bad. Ford reps did change the story but well after I bought mine (April 2006). I also wanted a first year run GT500 that I personaly ordered. The ADM didn't affect me until I found out Ford would sell the GT500 for several years.

Lesson learned, don't trust what Ford says about limited edition because it's only limited if you don't have one :hysterical:

I would never consider trying to purchase another "Limited Edition" Ford and paying 1 cent more than MSRP. The guys that brag about not paying an ADM, that's cool. We all make mistakes and sometimes we even learn from them.

tes...I take back the comment that we are alot alike...you don't like beer???

Done! :hysterical: We was homies!!

:cry:

Perhaps some of the disappointment comes from the fact that the Mustang is supposed to be an enthusiasts car. A car the average Joe can one day hope to buy. There are plenty of fast cars for the rich to buy, but the Mustang was the one go fast car within reach of the non-rich.

I think some people are angry, and I think rightly so perhaps, that those of means seem to have grown bored of their usual suspects and entered the Mustang market driving up prices leaving only the used market to many.

Only the Base Mustang Coupe was designed for the Masses, the one with the Inline 6 cyl, for just $1,700.00. The Mustang wasn't really the "Go Fast" Car until the "K" Code versions and especially the Shelby versions.

This is sort of related...

When we had our bikestore, SPECIALIZED and GT Bicycles, two of the brands we carried over the years, were notorius for building very 'desirable' bicycles. In the early days of GT Bikes, they did some super cool BMX bikes that some of today are extremely collectible. They also did a couple Harley Davidson partnershiped bikes a few years in a row, that are highly sought after today! Then, as for SPECIALIZED, they have done MANY different types of bikes over their long years of business, (since 1974), that have at the time of introduction, commanded what could be called an ADM.

At my store, I would never allow such ADM's on our bikes. The manufacturers always turned their heads if they knew a dealer was doing it. It was ok for us, because people would shop around and find that we had one in stock, with no mark-up beyond list. Now, we wouldn't discount those particular bicycles, but we most certainly, did not use any ADM! To be clear, we did discount bikes on a regular basis...just not the popular, or low production 'HOT' stuff. But NO ADM's...ever!

I am not a believer in Additional Dealer Mark-Up. But I am realistic to think that it happens, and will continue to happen on hot-selling things in the American capitalistic society. This doesn't mean that I practiced it in my business. As for my business.....I am a believer that when that guy that called around for the 'hot' bike, found that we had it without additional mark-up, and drove past four other bikestores to come to my shop for it, will most likely return for other things in the future knowing we were good, honest business people!

Archived