TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boss 302 Laguna Seca or KR

REAL ONE

Well, two out of three, maybe. Beauty is in the eye... ;)

+100

And you know, on that car you can't really have a body shop cover up the sillyness...it is gonna be somewhat more rare, and later that would probably hurt the value to the masses? It would make the individual happier to see when the garage door goes up and the light of day hits it..........but? Hmmmmmm?

Shame more thought never went into the final roll out design on the BOSS's. :finger:

The Boss LS. is definitely a car I want to get. I agree with most here that I wouldn't trade the KR for it. The KR is probably the last pre title Shelbys coming down the pipe. Whats huge to me is that this means SAI is the MFG of record. Thats huge!

If I traded the KR for the Boss I would just end up wanting a KR again.

Goal is to have both! :shift:

... Boss is a kiddie car by comparison.

That "kiddie car" would and will embarrass any KR that dare challenge it on a track. Seriously, a KR would last a couple of hot laps on a real track and limp into the pits looking for a place to hide. Don't fool yourselves, gentlemen.

That "kiddie car" would and will embarrass any KR that dare challenge it on a track. Seriously, a KR would last a couple of hot laps on a real track and limp into the pits looking for a place to hide. Don't fool yourselves, gentlemen.

While that may be true, I bet the KR will hand the Boss LS it's ass at the drag strip. :peelout:

The KR is a much better looking machine. Those red wheels and accents on the LS are hideous. :wacko:

The original post was not which one out performed the other. I would love to add a regular Boss 302 to my stable though, but I wouldn't get rid of my KR. B)

While that may be true, I bet the KR will hand the Boss LS it's ass at the drag strip. :peelout:

A KR has 540HP and weighs in at, what....3,950 lbs.?

The Boss LS has 100 HP less (444HP) and last I heard, a standard Mustang GT was 400 lbs. less than a GT500 so with all of the light-weight items (front Recaro's, rear seat delete w/cross-brace, etc.) I'd bet the Boss LS comes in at *considerably* less than the KR and wins the HP/Wt. ratio contest.

I think you might lose that bet. Oh, and the LS has "race compound" (i.e. track ready) tires on it too which I ASSUME are more gummy than the KR tires (I say, A-S-S-U-M-E)

Phill

Why does everyone get into pissing matches over comparing mustangs? They're both fords and both beautiful cars. One is a track breed killer while the other is a legendary stallion ment to shred pavement with a smooth ride. Sorry but I hate family fights, take it out on those damn foreign cars.

why limp mode?

don't kid yourselves, both cars have way more horspower than they are rated athappy%20feet.gif

lot's of KR's dyno in the 485-500+ rwhp stock which makes the flywheel hp a bunch over 540

and i have a inside source that says the same thing on the Laguna's ,, more than stated

A KR has 540HP and weighs in at, what....3,950 lbs.?

The Boss LS has 100 HP less (444HP) and last I heard, a standard Mustang GT was 400 lbs. less than a GT500 so with all of the light-weight items (front Recaro's, rear seat delete w/cross-brace, etc.) I'd bet the Boss LS comes in at *considerably* less than the KR and wins the HP/Wt. ratio contest.

I think you might lose that bet. Oh, and the LS has "race compound" (i.e. track ready) tires on it too which I ASSUME are more gummy than the KR tires (I say, A-S-S-U-M-E)

Phill

Actually, a KR without the shaker 1000 (which adds 70 lbs.) is 3800 lbs. according to Ford. The CB hood, exhaust and wheels also make it lighter than a standard GT500. I thought I read that the GTs were about 3650 lbs. The hp/wt. ratio isn't as considerable as you might think, probably ~ 200 lbs. or so.

Don't sell the KR short. They can compete with 2010/2011 GT500s. Stock KRs have been known to dyno around 500 rwhp. MM&FF magazine tested a bonestock KR on stock rubber and ran an 11.9 @ 120 mph in the 1/4 mile. With drag radials, it ran an 11.5 @ 122 mph, making it the quickest/fastest factory Mustang that they have tested. They're both great cars, built for different purposes. I'll guess we'll have to wait for some real #s for the LS Boss. My friend is getting one. I won't challenge him on a road course (not my cup of tea), but perhaps I'll take him on for some stop light street action. :peelout:

I'm sure the Boss has the edge on the track.the Boss was built primarily for the track. That's where it lives. The KR is no slouch though and I am sure it would acquit itself just fine out on the track. The KR is the "King of the road". It was not designed with the track as it's prime focus. It's a more well balanced performance road car. The Boss suspension is very stiff as you would expect a more focused track car's to be. More like the Shelby GTs. Stiff!

I'm sure the KR has the edge in driving comfort and in straight line performance especially in light of its tremendous torque.

Having driven my KR on the track it goes perfectly well. It outran and outbraked everything else at our UK Mustang Owner's Club track day at Mallory Park. In fact my brother and I ran it double sessions compared to everyone else. So I guess I can speak from experience then. No limping (apart from into the re-fueling station !!!). Remains to be seen how the Boss LS will compare, Lets see...

Having driven my KR on the track it goes perfectly well. It outran and outbraked everything else at our UK Mustang Owner's Club track day at Mallory Park. In fact my brother and I ran it double sessions compared to everyone else. So I guess I can speak from experience then. No limping (apart from into the re-fueling station !!!). Remains to be seen how the Boss LS will compare, Lets see...

Curious. How many laps? Ambient air temps? Do you have an aftermarket heat exchanger?

Actually, a KR without the shaker 1000 (which adds 70 lbs.) is 3800 lbs. according to Ford. The CB hood, exhaust and wheels also make it lighter than a standard GT500. I thought I read that the GTs were about 3650 lbs. The hp/wt. ratio isn't as considerable as you might think, probably ~ 200 lbs. or so.

The problem *I* had was the comment "hand him his ass"...

I don't think so. I think if they raced a 1620, it would be close. Real close. Either that, or the Boss would win.

I've never heard the GT500 weighs in at 3650 though. In fact, just recenlty it was posted at 3950. I meant to pull out my scales and weigh my car before I started modding it but I got as far as getting my scales out of storage and sitting in the corner of my garage.

I *will* weigh the car after I get it back on the ground and I can weigh the items I took off vs. the items I put on and get a very close TOTAL weight, just not a accurate weight bias (front/rear, left/right, etc.).

Either way, I don't think the KR will "hand him his ass" ("him", being a Boss LS). It may or may not win a drag race, but "hand him his ass"???

I don't think so.

JMHO,

Phill

The problem *I* had was the comment "hand him his ass"...

I don't think so. I think if they raced a 1620, it would be close. Real close. Either that, or the Boss would win.

I've never heard the GT500 weighs in at 3650 though. In fact, just recenlty it was posted at 3950. I meant to pull out my scales and weigh my car before I started modding it but I got as far as getting my scales out of storage and sitting in the corner of my garage.

I *will* weigh the car after I get it back on the ground and I can weigh the items I took off vs. the items I put on and get a very close TOTAL weight, just not a accurate weight bias (front/rear, left/right, etc.).

Either way, I don't think the KR will "hand him his ass" ("him", being a Boss LS). It may or may not win a drag race, but "hand him his ass"???

I don't think so.

JMHO,

Phill

I never said the GT500 weighs 3650 lbs. I said the GT weighs about 3650 lbs (probably about the same as the Boss). The 07-09 GT500s weigh 3920 lbs. (with the shaker 1000) and 3850 lbs (with the shaker 500) according to Ford. The KRs with the shaker 500 (like mine) weigh 3800 lbs as per Ford. I'm not sure about the 10s & 11s though.

So, do you still think a LS Boss (which will probably only weigh about 200 lbs or so less) will win a 1/4 mile drag race with a KR (with 100 more hp & 130 more lb/ft torque)? I don't think so. Do the math.

The Boss 302 promises to be a great road racing machine, but the GT500s will still be the faster straight line terrors. I just don't think the n/a 5.0 will have enough to overcome the supercharged torque & hp of the 5.4.

The guy who made the kiddie car comment? Whats he know, this is the schmuck that talked to ford executives at laguna seca supposedly who posted nothing but wrong info on the boss from day one. And he is still waiting for his gt350. I will put my boss ls against his gt350 anytime

Now, that would be a race I would like to see. :beerchug:

The guy who made the kiddie car comment? Whats he know, this is the schmuck that talked to ford executives at laguna seca supposedly who posted nothing but wrong info on the boss from day one. And he is still waiting for his gt350. I will put my boss ls against his gt350 anytime

Shelbyite,

Are you suggesting that your LS would spank a GT350? That's a very bold statement for someone to make when the 1st LS isn't even on the streets yet. Have you ever seen the GT350 with R-tune on a road track? I have and you'd be wise to hedge your bet if you don't like to lose.

Hard for me to get beyond the looks of the LS. I wonder who they were trying to appeal to? Someone was watching too many Fast and Furious movies, LOL The car IMO doesn't look like a serious track car with all those orange highlights all over it. I'd consider buying one and toning it down by eliminating some of the orange because it sounds like an awesome machine for the money. The KR vs Boss question is a tough one as the cars are not exactly in the same category in my mind. Personally, I'd wait until they're out and check out the Boss carefully before pulling the trigger. Anyone know if Ford has the Boss on display at the car shows? I was at the Detroit show and didn't see one...

Hard for me to get beyond the looks of the LS. I wonder who they were trying to appeal to? Someone was watching too many Fast and Furious movies, LOL The car IMO doesn't look like a serious track car with all those orange highlights all over it. I'd consider buying one and toning it down by eliminating some of the orange because it sounds like an awesome machine for the money. The KR vs Boss question is a tough one as the cars are not exactly in the same category in my mind. Personally, I'd wait until they're out and check out the Boss carefully before pulling the trigger. Anyone know if Ford has the Boss on display at the car shows? I was at the Detroit show and didn't see one...

I saw a silver w/red stripes LS Boss at our auto show a few months ago. It was nice except for those gawdy red wheels and accents. It also sat too high. For being a road racer, I would have thought that it would have a lower stance.

I am waiting for the '013 LS. I anticipAte they will have the '70 style striping and different color choices.

The fact of the matter is that the GT500s were always intended more as high performance grand tourers now and historically. The '65 and '66 Gt 350s and the '69and '70 Boss were more focused track cars. So as the above post notes a KR and Boss were both designed with slightly different focuses.

The KR is a keeper for sure for many reasons regardless of the the fact they are always coming out with faster and faster GT500s not the least of which the KR is one of the few Shelbys made with Shelby as the Mfg of record. No post title car can touch that.

The LS will be a very limited version and on par with the normally aspirated Shelby Gt 350 performance wise. While I am a Shelby nut for sure I am also a mustang and Ford fan and the Boss is another legendary Pony I would love to put next to the KR!

The Shelby years and the Trans Am years from the 60s and early 70s were magical times for sure for us car guys!

Archived