TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock Wheels- Polish?

07SGT

What do you recommend for polishing the stock SGT wheels to really make them shine?

If they are like a lot of (most?) 'polished' ford rims, they are clear coated.. So I don''t think you can polish them all that much.

I have bare aluminum (polished) American Racing rims on the '65.. They are a nightmare to maintain.

The way it was explained by Mike at Meguiar's is that car finish POLISH fills in little cavities in the surface of a painted object, rendering it more efficient as a reflector of light, more "shiny". Waxing the polished surface preserves the filled-ness of the pockets, so the shine lasts longer. My Polished-Aluminum "Bullitt"-style wheels from Mr Ford were definitely clear-coated - on the outer-facing surfaces. Using regular old Meguiar Cleaner/Polish did truly make them shine. Waxing them with Meguiar's Gold Class preserved the shine. I didn't try it on the polished wheels, but I imagine there would be some increment in reflectivity if you did a clay job on them before polishing. It made a difference on my powder-coated black wheels, fer sher.

The way it was explained by Mike at Meguiar's is that car finish POLISH fills in little cavities in the surface of a painted object, rendering it more efficient as a reflector of light, more "shiny". Waxing the polished surface preserves the filled-ness of the pockets, so the shine lasts longer. My Polished-Aluminum "Bullitt"-style wheels from Mr Ford were definitely clear-coated - on the outer-facing surfaces. Using regular old Meguiar Cleaner/Polish did truly make them shine. Waxing them with Meguiar's Gold Class preserved the shine. I didn't try it on the polished wheels, but I imagine there would be some increment in reflectivity if you did a clay job on them before polishing. It made a difference on my powder-coated black wheels, fer sher.

Does anyone use the power ball from Mother's? And if so with which product(s).

Does anyone use the power ball from Mother's? And if so with which product(s).

I bought it once for the '65.. After spending nearly $30 on it at WalMart, I decided it just wasn't worth the money and returned it.

With the rims and engine on the '65, I've always had good luck with Eagle One polish - it's like a big chunk of cotton in a can; you simply rip off a wad of the cotton and polish away - it's impregnated with polish. It is messy though.

Otherwise, I just use Mother's aluminum polish - it's a paste, and goes on with any sort of applicator; again, messy.

Here's how the '65 looks with just regular aluminum polish - no power ball, not sealant, etc..

April2008064-1.jpg

SGT wheels are clearcoated. Treat them like your cars clearcoat. Clay the wheel, polish the wheel with clearcoat safe polish, and seal the wheel for that chrome look those wheels give off when done properly. Good luck.

SGT wheels are clearcoated. Treat them like your cars clearcoat. Clay the wheel, polish the wheel with clearcoat safe polish, and seal the wheel for that chrome look those wheels give off when done properly. Good luck.

Like the polish you sell, correct?

Archived