TEAM SHELBY FORUM

USA Today Article

RogerS

Well, a simple post and we do a great job at reading between the lines?

This was posted for the forum to read and is public knowledge of an article written in USA Today.

Nothing to read in between the lines. Just more limited quantities to increase collector value. The days of high production runs are over. Look at the GT500 production over the last 2 years. Limited quantity creates supply and demand situations. There is good and bad in this.

Remember the GT500 is under license by Ford. Fact is pre-2010 GT500's values are unstable at best. The first year run of the GT350 will be the most rare of the latest generation of new Mustang to roll out of Shelby.

Don't read between the lines. There is nothing there.

Roger

Bikeboy,

You nailed it in all respects. Complete and well written. We are witnessing, sadly, the end of an era. You point about what Mr. Shelby said about tuning cars with computers is very perceptive. When I had a built '66 Mustang (alas, not a Shelby), the best tune I ever had on the car was one done with simple tools and a good "ear." I confess, I miss those days greatly.

Jim

Embrace this era Jim as it is just begining again. Not ending.

Roger

Roger,

Always good to hear your view of things. The point I was making was that there was a time, way back when, and it was called the late 50's and the 60's. In those days, cars were more straightforward machines. We built them, we broke them (constantly) and we rebuilt them better than before. There was little, if any, sophistication in those machines.

The cars back then were brute animal strength ground pounding monsters and those of us who built them and drove them had a visceral connection with them that is hard to put into words. My sense of Mr. Shelby is that what shaped HIS passion in the late 50's and the 60's is the same thing that stirred my heart and soul in the 60's. It was a time all its own and it is gone now. That era has ended. It is not the Shelby era that ended but a time when the machines were cut from a different cloth.

I do not pass on whether it was better then than now but I can attest to the fact that it was definitely different and in a very cool way. The cars of today are more powerful than those we had back then and they can go 150 mph with the air conditioning and the sound system both blasting. The muscle cars of old did not have air conditioning, they did not have power steering and they did not have much in the way of a sound system (unless AM radio was your thing).

Those that have driven both the old ones and the new ones will agree that the driving experiences found in a muscle car of old and in a muscle car of today are vastly different. In many ways, the new ones are better but there was just "something' about driving the cars back then.

Perhaps "reading between the lines" can be stated another way. Mr. Shelby seems to be a man of few words. When he said what he said about tuning cars with a computer, some of us understood him to be making a much larger statement with those few words and have shared our perception of what we think was in his head and heart when he said what he said.

This is not a cup half full or half empty kind of a thing. We who own these cars have a vested interest in all things Shelby remaining tomorrow what they are today. I don't think anyone is of the mind that it makes business sense for Mr. Shelby to try and mass produce cars again. A focused effort to provide customers with a shop devoted to enhancing the performance of their cars would be welcome as that is what Mr. Shelby is famous for. One of the reasons I am trying to get to the stockholder meeting is that I want to know the direction of the company both as an owner and as an enthusiast.

Jim

Roger,

Always good to hear your view of things. The point I was making was that there was a time, way back when, and it was called the late 50's and the 60's. In those days, cars were more straightforward machines. We built them, we broke them (constantly) and we rebuilt them better than before. There was little, if any, sophistication in those machines.

The cars back then were brute animal strength ground pounding monsters and those of us who built them and drove them had a visceral connection with them that is hard to put into words. My sense of Mr. Shelby is that what shaped HIS passion in the late 50's and the 60's is the same thing that stirred my heart and soul in the 60's. It was a time all its own and it is gone now. That era has ended. It is not the Shelby era that ended but a time when the machines were cut from a different cloth.

I do not pass on whether it was better then than now but I can attest to the fact that it was definitely different and in a very cool way. The cars of today are more powerful than those we had back then and they can go 150 mph with the air conditioning and the sound system both blasting. The muscle cars of old did not have air conditioning, they did not have power steering and they did not have much in the way of a sound system (unless AM radio was your thing).

Those that have driven both the old ones and the new ones will agree that the driving experiences found in a muscle car of old and in a muscle car of today are vastly different. In many ways, the new ones are better but there was just "something' about driving the cars back then.

Perhaps "reading between the lines" can be stated another way. Mr. Shelby seems to be a man of few words. When he said what he said about tuning cars with a computer, some of us understood him to be making a much larger statement with those few words and have shared our perception of what we think was in his head and heart when he said what he said.

This is not a cup half full or half empty kind of a thing. We who own these cars have a vested interest in all things Shelby remaining tomorrow what they are today. I don't think anyone is of the mind that it makes business sense for Mr. Shelby to try and mass produce cars again. A focused effort to provide customers with a shop devoted to enhancing the performance of their cars would be welcome as that is what Mr. Shelby is famous for. One of the reasons I am trying to get to the stockholder meeting is that I want to know the direction of the company both as an owner and as an enthusiast.

Jim

Jim...dead on!!! That was essentailly the crux of my thoughts! And yes.......................you are right, I don't believe this is a half empty or half full kind of thing.

Roger...Please understand, I am not 'dogging' the organization. My post offers the utmost respect to the 'Man' and his achievements. I admit, after re-reading it, it may have seemed like I was saying goodbye forever, but after everything I have read it's tough NOT to get that sense?

Everyone...from the individual that stated it's a shame to see SAI tuning other branded automobiles, alongside our beloved FORD products...lest we forget that Carroll had a relationship with Chrysler in the past, and to a degree the General with the SERIES 1 car. (Auroroa V8) I for one believe that everybody should be able to experience his magical touch!

I will stop speaking about this now. Thanks for your perspective Roger!

Chris Hall

• 2 weeks later...

Roger,

Jim

agreed...........+1000

Did anything ever become of this..? was there ever a date mentioned ..?

We still stand on "our" actual intent of the article. We are not going anywhere. The parts business is growing very rapidly. The demand for specialty vehicles, in todays market place, does not support mass production. This is diversification in a business plan.

Look at the production fugues of the GT-500 beginning in 2007, by year, until the end of the 2011 build. Less supply, more demand.

Anyone wishing information on the Investor Meeting should contact :

Joe Conway

310-538-2914

joec512@aol.com

Thanks,

Roger

Archived