TEAM SHELBY FORUM

QUESTIONS ABOUT SC UPGRADE FROM SA

Mustang DAN

Considering the SC upgrade from Shelby for my '08 GT coupe and have some concerns:

1) My SGT is my daily driver and I need high reliability. Stories about belt problems and taking a year to get it all working right are not encouraging. Any idea how long a standard conversion to the SC typically takes?

2) How is the warranty affected? Are the conversion parts warrantied by Ford or SAI?

3) What would be the effect on other warranty issues such as engine, tranny, rear end, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any info.salute.gif

I tossed my belt once - and I wasn't even doing anything wrong, I was turning off a 50MPH road into the gas station. The Kenne Bell documentation kit clearly states to avoid revving to the red line as the belt starts to slap. Mine is a Kenne Bell.

As far as warranties, I think I kissed them good bye when I go tthe keys back from Bud. It was worth every penny :)

Considering the SC upgrade from Shelby for my '08 GT coupe and have some concerns:

1) My SGT is my daily driver and I need high reliability. Stories about belt problems and taking a year to get it all working right are not encouraging. Any idea how long a standard conversion to the SC typically takes?

2) How is the warranty affected? Are the conversion parts warrantied by Ford or SAI?

3) What would be the effect on other warranty issues such as engine, tranny, rear end, etc.?

I had my 2008 SGT supercharged last December at SAI. Took about five weeks. I replaced my belt tensioner with a whipple tensioner and I haven't had any problems with the new tensioner. SAI will make every effort to make sure your car is working right before it leaves Las Vegas. As with any mod; there can be a few bugs to work out; but they are usually minor. I have no regrets. It will put a smile on your face every time you punch it!

I don't race my car on the strip or road race, so I can't respond to the tranny, rear end etc. Runs great for everyday driving.

Roger at SAI can answer all your questions.

All I can say is, it can be expensive. I spent over $1000 on my car after I got it back from Shelby to fix some of the mistakes. Mostly consisting of the poor routing of oil cooler and vacuum hoses that led to leaks.

Your car warranty will depend on if Ford can say whatever the problem was caused by the SC or not.

I would hope that Shelby has worked out all of the bugs and installation problems of the Whipples and Kennie Bells. I mean, thats all they have done for over 2 years.

Luckily I have had no further problems with my SC installation. I do not look forward to replacing anything (ie water pump, etc...) that will require the SC to be removed because its in the way. Just having this air pump and all the hoses wires etc... can cost you more money when other maintenance has to be done on your car. You must consider fancy SC'ed cars cost more money to maintain than the non SC'ed cars period.

As far as a daily driver, mine works great day in and day out. Just remember the maintenance is more frequent on a daily driver. Read $$$$$$$.

I do enjoy owning this car with the supercharger but would probably enjoy just as much the non supercharged version.

So if you have the extra money to install a SC and you have the extra money to do the more costly maintenance by all means go for it. If not just enjoy the legendary car you own right now.

You gotta pay to play!!!!

If done right (bettter tensioner) No problems with belt!!!) I run mine hard on the track and dragstrip Zero problems!!!

I use the best products in maintaining royal purple is my choice..

the biggest added expense would be rear tires its hard to keep your foot out of the throttle lol

Thanks for the candid info guys! It's really more about downtime and reliability than the money. BTW I really LOVE the "legendary car I already own". At the end of a long work day, most of my coworkers HAVE to drive home. I GET to drive home! I understand about increased maintenance, etc. I owned a couple of Buick Turbo's back in their day.

I too asked many of these same types of questions, here is a quote from Bud when he was at SAI.....

"Anytime you put a S/C on a car—no matter what the make of the S/C or the make of the car, it WILL void the vehicle’s manufacturer’s powertrain warranty. But so far, we have not heard of any problems yet."

Any problems you have they will help you fix, that I am sure of.

I tossed a few belts myself and Tasca looked at it and found that I had a bad bearing in one of the idler pulleys that was causing the belt to walk off. They took care of it for me. :salute:

Personally I think if you are asking questions about it now your mind is already made up. Go for it and don't look back..... :speedie:

• 2 weeks later...

My setup is a little different. I went the Brenspeed/Saleen Series VI SCer and I have had zero belt issues. I also went with the upgraded steeda tensioner, larger water pump pulley etc. I ordered the kit and then had a local shop do the install which took a few days.

Rear tires are an issue if you don't excercise throttle discipline. :)

Power Train Warranty is supposedly voided but my dealer has been cool. They've honored the warranty on O2 sensors, bearing kit in the rearend etc.

I too asked many of these same types of questions, here is a quote from Bud when he was at SAI.....

"Anytime you put a S/C on a car—no matter what the make of the S/C or the make of the car, it WILL void the vehicle’s manufacturer’s powertrain warranty. But so far, we have not heard of any problems yet."

Any problems you have they will help you fix, that I am sure of.

I tossed a few belts myself and Tasca looked at it and found that I had a bad bearing in one of the idler pulleys that was causing the belt to walk off. They took care of it for me. :salute:

Personally I think if you are asking questions about it now your mind is already made up. Go for it and don't look back..... :speedie:

Are you some kindof magician or something? How did you make the photo in your signature, its really nice.

Are you some kindof magician or something? How did you make the photo in your signature, its really nice.

see below....

Looks alot like two pictures combined in photoshop and lowering the opacity of one so you can see the other...or some variation of that :) but it is pretty sweet!

Bingo give the man the prize!!!! Actually my son did it for me, he's the camera/computer guy. I don't even own a camera! For the record I still have a flip phone w/o a camera..... :hysterical:

By the way if anyone is looking for a Thump-RRR tensioner and extra belts let me know I have some to sell!

Archived