TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fair Value for my 2010?

bpmurr

I'm in the process on trading my 2010 GT500 but I want to make sure I'm getting a fair deal. It's got a little over 14k on it.

It's got NAV, HID, and the Car Cover

As for the mods I know they don't bring any money on the trade.

The dealer is offering me $38k on the trade. Does this seem fair?

Consider the other pieces of the puzzle when working that kind of deal. trade in, new car price, financing terms/APR, and what options are on the car vs what they're charging you. Example, who cares if they go ahead and give you $45,000 on you trade instead of $38,000 if they won't budge on the new car price, or screw ya on APR. I'm sure you know all that, I'm just sayin...

It would be nice if they would give you somewhere between "trade in value" and "private party". No way will you get "retail" because that's what they are hoping to get, or maybe make a deal to the next buyer and go a little under that. Take a look at what used gt500's are going for and compare to NADA and blue book. You are most likely better off selling yourself, even though it's a pain in the butt.

Just my few cents...

I'm in the process on trading my 2010 GT500 but I want to make sure I'm getting a fair deal. It's got a little over 14k on it.

It's got NAV, HID, and the Car Cover

As for the mods I know they don't bring any money on the trade.

The dealer is offering me $38k on the trade. Does this seem fair?

I sold mine private party 8 months ago with 5k miles for $43.5k. Their offer seems fair.

too bad youre selling--need the whole package to comment.Getting 38K but paying MSRP wouldnt be a good eal.If youre buying a 2011 and getting 2K under msrp,then 38K is good

Yeah, it's a tough decision. I'd rather not roll the dice with Ford warranty support next time something happens. Even though they extended the warranty out to 5/75k their ability to fix issues without hassle on both the GT500 and Fiesta has been troubling. At least the next person has a brand new OEM clutch and flywheel. ;)

Consider the other pieces of the puzzle when working that kind of deal. trade in, new car price, financing terms/APR, and what options are on the car vs what they're charging you. Example, who cares if they go ahead and give you $45,000 on you trade instead of $38,000 if they won't budge on the new car price, or screw ya on APR. I'm sure you know all that, I'm just sayin...

It would be nice if they would give you somewhere between "trade in value" and "private party". No way will you get "retail" because that's what they are hoping to get, or maybe make a deal to the next buyer and go a little under that. Take a look at what used gt500's are going for and compare to NADA and blue book. You are most likely better off selling yourself, even though it's a pain in the butt.

Just my few cents...

Well the loan will be for 2.99 or 3.24 through my Credit Union. I'm still debating the length of the loan. I'll still need to sell the Fiesta as it isn't required since the SHO is an all season car.

What are you trading for?

SHO with 7K on it MSRP $46 and I'm paying $32990. I'll be back in a 2012 GT or Boss sometime next year.

Yeah, it's a tough decision. I'd rather not roll the dice with Ford warranty support next time something happens. Even though they extended the warranty out to 5/75k their ability to fix issues without hassle on both the GT500 and Fiesta has been troubling. At least the next person has a brand new OEM clutch and flywheel. ;)

Well the loan will be for 2.99 or 3.24 through my Credit Union. I'm still debating the length of the loan. I'll still need to sell the Fiesta as it isn't required since the SHO is an all season car.

SHO with 7K on it MSRP $46 and I'm paying $32990. I'll be back in a 2012 GT or Boss sometime next year.

I really like the SHO,and the total package looks like a good deal. What did they finally do on the tranny issue--i must have missed the post somehow---bob

I really like the SHO,and the total package looks like a good deal. What did they finally do on the tranny issue--i must have missed the post somehow---bob

I ended up getting an OEM clutch and flywheel at cost plus labor. McLeod/Lethal gave me a full refund on my RST Clutch and Flywheel. I can't say enough about those two companies, top notch customer service! I'm still out the first McLeod install, shipping, and 07-09 Slave Cylinder. All together I spent close to $2k.

I've been disputing service work with my dealer. They have offered to purchase my 2009 Shelby convertible with 5000 miles – totally stock for 41,000.00 I spoke with the sales manager last night & asked what black book on the car is. He quoted Extra Clean was 38,650.00 Clean is 37,600.00 these prices are Canadian. I did a couple trade in values over the internet from dealers Chev. Low was 40,000 High was 42000. The 41,000.00 they offered was from recent dealer auction sales where an 2009 with 11000 miles sold for 37,500.00…I’m not sure if that was a coupe or convertible. So I think what they are offering me is a good deal but I hit them for 43500? My reason for the counter - sales manager felt he could fetch as much as 45ish for my car if I would put it on consignment & play/give them time to sell it. He also indicated they would absorb the cost of selling the car for the problems I’ve had dealing with Ford & the dealership. He said that they will provide me with a copy of the sold invoice when it sells, so I can see that they are not taking advantage of me… Will privacy laws allow them to do that? lol

That's probably going to be the best you'll do on a trade-in.

Sorry to see you give up on your GT500, but given all you've gone thru it's understandable. I thought you kinda went sour on Ford in general, but that would not seem to be the case any longer. Good luck whatever you do...

I've been disputing service work with my dealer. They have offered to purchase my 2009 Shelby convertible with 5000 miles – totally stock for 41,000.00 I spoke with the sales manager last night & asked what black book on the car is. He quoted Extra Clean was 38,650.00 Clean is 37,600.00 these prices are Canadian. I did a couple trade in values over the internet from dealers Chev. Low was 40,000 High was 42000. The 41,000.00 they offered was from recent dealer auction sales where an 2009 with 11000 miles sold for 37,500.00…I’m not sure if that was a coupe or convertible. So I think what they are offering me is a good deal but I hit them for 43500? My reason for the counter - sales manager felt he could fetch as much as 45ish for my car if I would put it on consignment & play/give them time to sell it. He also indicated they would absorb the cost of selling the car for the problems I’ve had dealing with Ford & the dealership. He said that they will provide me with a copy of the sold invoice when it sells, so I can see that they are not taking advantage of me… Will privacy laws allow them to do that? lol

As they say "Take the money" and run--thats a great deal,really--i mean model change in 2010 and everything,id get it inwriting,and make it so its sold after say 30Days,and limit the miles,so at point X they pay you for the car,regardless, or at miles Y they pay you for the car--dont leave it opeended, ie they pay you when/if they sell it---good luck

As they say "Take the money" and run--thats a great deal,really--i mean model change in 2010 and everything,id get it inwriting,and make it so its sold after say 30Days,and limit the miles,so at point X they pay you for the car,regardless, or at miles Y they pay you for the car--dont leave it opeended, ie they pay you when/if they sell it---good luck

That’s my take as well. I’m not pushing at this point as the sales manager indicated that he would call me back regarding the counter… Give him a day or two and see what he comes back with – Then take the offer. Its winter here, snow on the ground, so no miles will be put on the car. They are willing to send a flat deck to pick it up out of the garage.

Cheers

That's probably going to be the best you'll do on a trade-in.

Sorry to see you give up on your GT500, but given all you've gone thru it's understandable. I thought you kinda went sour on Ford in general, but that would not seem to be the case any longer. Good luck whatever you do...

Ford runs in my blood. Sure I'm really pissed at the way I was treated with their flagship sports car. However, I've had a lot of good experiences with my other Ford cars as have my family. I'll have another Mustang at some point but probably not the GT500.

That’s my take as well. I’m not pushing at this point as the sales manager indicated that he would call me back regarding the counter… Give him a day or two and see what he comes back with – Then take the offer. Its winter here, snow on the ground, so no miles will be put on the car. They are willing to send a flat deck to pick it up out of the garage.

Cheers

good luck--as a fellow vert owner, i feel for your loss.Being in Atlanta,i can drive all winter (Its not a DD), in fact yesterday i had th etop down

Ford runs in my blood. Sure I'm really pissed at the way I was treated with their flagship sports car. However, I've had a lot of good experiences with my other Ford cars as have my family. I'll have another Mustang at some point but probably not the GT500.

That's really a shame. One of the final, yet most important, corners Ford need to turn is the fact that now that they've developed considerable equity in their brand, the onus is squarely upon them to protect it. This has been the subject of a great many missives I've sent to Dearborn with very specific examples and recommendations.

Notwithstanding how you may have been treated with your clutch, nickel and dime issues like inexplicably deleting heated seats from the $50K form of its most iconic nameplate or mounting backup cameras in spoilers to make their availability trim-level dependent are just a few of the nonsensical ways they're inconsiderate to the very customers whose loyalty they're only recently beginning to engender in numbers. Just as big a problem is Ford's dealer body - and how the Ford ownership experience can vary so wildly from one territory to another, both in terms of purchase and service, being entirely upon whatever standards a dealer may be able to maintain - rather than adhering to common, consistent baseline enforced by the company whose relationships its dealers are responsible to manage.

I too am already considering trading-in my 2011 GT500 - not because of any inherent problems I've had with it but because it was simply not the right version of the right vehicle for me. I did my research, took my calculated chances and simply guessed wrong. I failed to have the courage of my convictions and decided in favor of a coupe when I had every opportunity to buy the convertible I wanted. Other things I could have only learned by paying my money and taking my chances like the performance characteristics of the 5.4 L versus those of the MUCH more economical 5.0 L V8 and its far greater potential for modified improvement - including its phenomenal revving range.

I'm at the point of having rolled-up the first 1,000 miles upon my odometer, so selling it today would be just TOO brutal on a dollar-per mile basis I figure I can roll-up as many as 5,000 miles without further depreciating the vehicle. A key to selling or trading-in yours before any further depreciation will be doing so before the 2012 model year becomes available. Fortunately for both of us, it seems to be largely unimproved in any meaningful way. Having paid closer to invoice than sticker, I'm hoping to be able to walk away with less than a $10,000 learning curve by the time all is said and done. If I can do so within a year, I'll be happy.

I'm in a similar position to you vis-a-vis Taurus SHO. I presently own a Ford Flex (which I love, and is the best vehicle I've owned, but it's a 2009 Limited AWD made before EcoBoost became available. And despite having been the vanguard at introduction, Flex has been otherwise unimproved and now faces the same kind of out-of-sequence feature and option hierarchy conflicts that have also befallen MKS to make it such a poor overall value proposition relative to Taurus (although I happen to own one) and have seen Fiesta, Focus, Edge, and virtually every other vehicle enjoy features and options like BLIS, Adaptive Cruise, Push Button Start and others unavailable on Flex at ANY price despite being Ford's most expensive passenger vehicle (save GT500).

A lot of this resulted from Ford having pulled so much new product forward to market so quickly to create demand and take advantage of the unique opportunity window it enjoyed from late 2008 to early 2010, but they're now a huge challenge Ford must resolve within its normal product cadence to travel the critical last yard from people acknowledging some of the great cars Ford makes to thinking of Ford as a great car maker. Fortunately, the work they've done so far has managed to serve me well in the inordinately high trade allowance I'm receiving for my Flex, which is prompting me to take advantage before that's no longer the case and trade-in a vehicle with 20,000 miles I otherwise have absolutely no "need" to trade-in.

The point of my story is that we're about 2 years from Ford fully rehabilitating its entire lineup according to a cohesive product plan. As much I could be fat, dumb and happy with Flex EcoBoost (although the Titanium version is silly when so many other basic issues have been left unresolved), but Taurus SHO will be considerably cheaper while being far more fun to drive - notwithstanding the lack of Flex's additional space and "Wow" factor. My only misgiving about Taurus SHO is that it too suffers from the same failing in that the SHO Performance Package both requires "summer only" tires (though competent all-season alternatives are mercifully plentiful) and doesn't allow for Adaptive Cruise - a feature I've been dying to have since I'm the kind of driver who'd use cruise during rush hour in Midtown Manhattan if I could. Edge Sport buyers face the same dilemma.

So, it's likely Taurus SHO will become my daily driver - and a placeholder vehicle to tide me over until the 2013 model year when Taurus, Flex, MKS and a new spate of Lincoln vehicles (including what will hopefully include a proper RWD sedan and "driver's car") are significantly refreshed or remade. I'd considered MKS EcoBoost, and MKS is indeed a lovely sedan (particularly with EcoBoost), but it lacks the high ratio rear axle and suspension option of the Taurus SHO Performance Package, not to mention BLIS, Active Motion Seats, and a depreciation rate and overall value proposition that so clearly favor Taurus for the exceptional value it happens to be, particularly in comparison to MKS. If only the THX II audio were available for Taurus. :)

Best of luck with your trade - please be sure to share how you fared. Of course, as others have pointed out, your trade-in value is also dependent upon the kind of overall value you're being given for a new car purchase, and the best way I've found to level the playing field immediately from square one with a dealer who may not otherwise be so forthright would be to have an X-Plan PIN in-hand which can turn your new vehicle purchase into a fixed-price proposition (or at least a high-water mark) so you can compare apples to apples.

As a Ford shareholder and American taxpayer, I appreciate your loyalty to the Blue Oval and your willingness to not allow your present bad experience(s) to sour your affinity for Ford and its vehicles, particularly at this point in history when customer support has never been more important given the unfair playing field upon which it's being made to compete against GM whose continued support by so many I frankly don't understand. Although I've personally had very good experiences with each of the five new Ford vehicles I've purchased since 2009 (if not every Ford dealer) and enjoy them all tremendously, the best part for me are the kinds of nods from others I receive for driving a Ford that Camry and 3-Series owners used to give each other (at Ford owners' expense). The last thing I ever have to do is explain to anybody why I happen to be driving whatever car I'm in - and now it's the 2 or 3-car Toyota owners (and the occasional Accord driving neighbor who thought he was one-upping his neighbor and his Camry by going Honda) who are wondering why they're not as clever as they one thought themselves to be.

That's really a shame. One of the final, yet most important, corners Ford need to turn is the fact that now that they've developed considerable equity in their brand, the onus is squarely upon them to protect it. This has been the subject of a great many missives I've sent to Dearborn with very specific examples and recommendations.

Notwithstanding how you may have been treated with your clutch, nickel and dime issues like inexplicably deleting heated seats from the $50K form of its most iconic nameplate or mounting backup cameras in spoilers to make their availability trim-level dependent are just a few of the nonsensical ways they're inconsiderate to the very customers whose loyalty they're only recently beginning to engender in numbers. Just as big a problem is Ford's dealer body - and how the Ford ownership experience can vary so wildly from one territory to another, both in terms of purchase and service, being entirely upon whatever standards a dealer may be able to maintain - rather than adhering to common, consistent baseline enforced by the company whose relationships its dealers are responsible to manage.

I too am already considering trading-in my 2011 GT500 - not because of any inherent problems I've had with it but because it was simply not the right version of the right vehicle for me. I did my research, took my calculated chances and simply guessed wrong. I failed to have the courage of my convictions and decided in favor of a coupe when I had every opportunity to buy the convertible I wanted. Other things I could have only learned by paying my money and taking my chances like the performance characteristics of the 5.4 L versus those of the MUCH more economical 5.0 L V8 and its far greater potential for modified improvement - including its phenomenal revving range.

I'm at the point of having rolled-up the first 1,000 miles upon my odometer, so selling it today would be just TOO brutal on a dollar-per mile basis I figure I can roll-up as many as 5,000 miles without further depreciating the vehicle. A key to selling or trading-in yours before any further depreciation will be doing so before the 2012 model year becomes available. Fortunately for both of us, it seems to be largely unimproved in any meaningful way. Having paid closer to invoice than sticker, I'm hoping to be able to walk away with less than a $10,000 learning curve by the time all is said and done. If I can do so within a year, I'll be happy.

I'm in a similar position to you vis-a-vis Taurus SHO. I presently own a Ford Flex (which I love, and is the best vehicle I've owned, but it's a 2009 Limited AWD made before EcoBoost became available. And despite having been the vanguard at introduction, Flex has been otherwise unimproved and now faces the same kind of out-of-sequence feature and option hierarchy conflicts that have also befallen MKS to make it such a poor overall value proposition relative to Taurus (although I happen to own one) and have seen Fiesta, Focus, Edge, and virtually every other vehicle enjoy features and options like BLIS, Adaptive Cruise, Push Button Start and others unavailable on Flex at ANY price despite being Ford's most expensive passenger vehicle (save GT500).

A lot of this resulted from Ford having pulled so much new product forward to market so quickly to create demand and take advantage of the unique opportunity window it enjoyed from late 2008 to early 2010, but they're now a huge challenge Ford must resolve within its normal product cadence to travel the critical last yard from people acknowledging some of the great cars Ford makes to thinking of Ford as a great car maker. Fortunately, the work they've done so far has managed to serve me well in the inordinately high trade allowance I'm receiving for my Flex, which is prompting me to take advantage before that's no longer the case and trade-in a vehicle with 20,000 miles I otherwise have absolutely no "need" to trade-in.

The point of my story is that we're about 2 years from Ford fully rehabilitating its entire lineup according to a cohesive product plan. As much I could be fat, dumb and happy with Flex EcoBoost (although the Titanium version is silly when so many other basic issues have been left unresolved), but Taurus SHO will be considerably cheaper while being far more fun to drive - notwithstanding the lack of Flex's additional space and "Wow" factor. My only misgiving about Taurus SHO is that it too suffers from the same failing in that the SHO Performance Package both requires "summer only" tires (though competent all-season alternatives are mercifully plentiful) and doesn't allow for Adaptive Cruise - a feature I've been dying to have since I'm the kind of driver who'd use cruise during rush hour in Midtown Manhattan if I could. Edge Sport buyers face the same dilemma.

So, it's likely Taurus SHO will become my daily driver - and a placeholder vehicle to tide me over until the 2013 model year when Taurus, Flex, MKS and a new spate of Lincoln vehicles (including what will hopefully include a proper RWD sedan and "driver's car") are significantly refreshed or remade. I'd considered MKS EcoBoost, and MKS is indeed a lovely sedan (particularly with EcoBoost), but it lacks the high ratio rear axle and suspension option of the Taurus SHO Performance Package, not to mention BLIS, Active Motion Seats, and a depreciation rate and overall value proposition that so clearly favor Taurus for the exceptional value it happens to be, particularly in comparison to MKS. If only the THX II audio were available for Taurus. :)

Best of luck with your trade - please be sure to share how you fared. Of course, as others have pointed out, your trade-in value is also dependent upon the kind of overall value you're being given for a new car purchase, and the best way I've found to level the playing field immediately from square one with a dealer who may not otherwise be so forthright would be to have an X-Plan PIN in-hand which can turn your new vehicle purchase into a fixed-price proposition (or at least a high-water mark) so you can compare apples to apples.

As a Ford shareholder and American taxpayer, I appreciate your loyalty to the Blue Oval and your willingness to not allow your present bad experience(s) to sour your affinity for Ford and its vehicles, particularly at this point in history when customer support has never been more important given the unfair playing field upon which it's being made to compete against GM whose continued support by so many I frankly don't understand. Although I've personally had very good experiences with each of the five new Ford vehicles I've purchased since 2009 (if not every Ford dealer) and enjoy them all tremendously, the best part for me are the kinds of nods from others I receive for driving a Ford that Camry and 3-Series owners used to give each other (at Ford owners' expense). The last thing I ever have to do is explain to anybody why I happen to be driving whatever car I'm in - and now it's the 2 or 3-car Toyota owners (and the occasional Accord driving neighbor who thought he was one-upping his neighbor and his Camry by going Honda) who are wondering why they're not as clever as they one thought themselves to be.

Thanks for the well thought out post and well wishes. I picked up the SHO today so I'm officially in the former GT500 owners club. $38k was the final trade in amount, I couldn't pull more. The research I've done leads me to believe the performance package isn't all that. Mine doesn't have it but it seems to run great. Hopefully it will be problem free and I can get back into a Mustang soon. :)

Here is the sale link to my car. At least the new owner knows they are getting a new clutch! Hopefully it finds a good home and is well taken care of. :)

http://www.arenamotorgroup.com/web/vehicle/727149/2010-Ford-Mustang-GT500%20Coupe-Baltimore-Maryland

Did you put on the Hankook tires? If so, how did you like them. Also, I guess MD smog laws allow for tuners and pullies? That would never get by here in CA.

Did you put on the Hankook tires? If so, how did you like them. Also, I guess MD smog laws allow for tuners and pullies? That would never get by here in CA.

They made a huge difference when the car was stock with just a tune. When I went to the pulley I was back to where I was traction wise with the Goodyears and stock. However, they are a great street tire and cheap to boot!

My car will pass MD emissions with no problems.

Congrats, that's a classy ride.

Thanks it is amazingly well put together from what I can tell so far. It feels like a much more expensive car. My first car was an 88 Taurus Wagon when I was 16. I've come full circle but it's not my old Taurus that's for sure! Still need to get a Stang sometime next year. I want to see how the Boss does after some mags get their hands on one.

They made a huge difference when the car was stock with just a tune. When I went to the pulley I was back to where I was traction wise with the Goodyears and stock. However, they are a great street tire and cheap to boot!

My car will pass MD emissions with no problems.

What size tires front/rear?

Archived