TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has anyone driven a BMW 335i???

FULL M3TAL

I just sold my 335i, and am about ready to pull the trigger on a 2011 gt500. I'm just a little hesitant due to the 302 and 2012 gt500s around the corner. Anyways after talking to a few people i'm 99% sure I'm going with the GT500. My question is, has anyone driven a 335i or even rode in one? If so, can you tell me in your opinion the difference in feel, speed, etc? Thanks

Had one from October 2006 until November 2009. 335 is a much more sophisticated ride with better handling. GT500 is a cruder, poorer handling, much more fun ride. You'll love it - as long as your tranny holds together. After one attempted fix, dealer is installing a new transmission today..

Had one from October 2006 until November 2009. 335 is a much more sophisticated ride with better handling. GT500 is a cruder, poorer handling, much more fun ride. You'll love it - as long as your tranny holds together. After one attempted fix, dealer is installing a new transmission today..

+1

+1

Agree the ride is more comfy in the Bimmer, but you dont buy the GT500 for the comfort factor,although i find mine is tons mre comfy than my Vette,or may last WS-6 car.The GT500 will flat out leave a 335 in the dust,as well as the M3. Th M5 is about even.So if youre looking for a bodaciuos,fast car that gets alot of attention,get the 500--if not stick with what you know

How do you compare the straight line acceleration?

When my wife's BMW needs service, they always either give her a 335i or 135i as a loaner til hers is done. We've had 2 of each in the past 2 years as loaners.

Straight line accleration isn't even close. The 135i felt like it handled a little better than my '11 GT500, the 335i was about the same. The '11 GT500's handling is

very impressive for a 3750lb car. You'll find that out after you own one. Handling is the only performance category that either 35i compares with the GT500. All out acceleration

the GT500 will destroy either car.

Traded a '10 135i on my GT500 back in July - had enough of the HPFP issues (three in 12k miles...)  The GT500 out handles the BMW, out accelerates, brakes and sounds waaaay better.  My 135 had a JB3 and an Active Autowerke exhaust - if you're familliar, I was running on map 5 most of the time.  The GT500 smokes it.  

Traded a '10 135i on my GT500 back in July - had enough of the HPFP issues (three in 12k miles...)  The GT500 out handles the BMW, out accelerates, brakes and sounds waaaay better.  My 135 had a JB3 and an Active Autowerke exhaust - if you're familliar, I was running on map 5 most of the time.  The GT500 smokes it.  

I too had HPFP issues, a total of 3 times. I was about to trade in the 335i cuz my warranty was gonna be up soon. However I gave BMW 2 choices, and they choose one without arguement. Now with that settled, time for a new car.

I thought about JB3 PNP in the past. But never did it. Glad to know someone on here has ran with a tune and still perfers the GT500. Just reinforces my decision. Thanks.

Is the 135i and GT500 even an apples to apples comparison?  If I had to choose a FAST daily driver with lots of hours on the road travelling the BMW M3 or M5 would win out for me..  but for spirited driving on the weekends and track the GT500.  

M.

In my case, yeah it is a good comparo - as I owned one and traded it for the other.  Yes, an M3 is probably a better alternative for the GT500, but it's about $8-10k more when comparably equipped.  And an M5 is almost 2x the price of the GT500.  And if you want one used, the price of entry may be reasonable, but have you ever  looked into maintenance on a V10 M5?  Hah!  Good luck with that.  

I also happen to be related to the owner of a Ford store so I got kind of a good deal on the GT500 which made my choice that much easier.  But I do not regret it in any way - the Shelby is a great car.  Loads of fun and makes great black marks on the pavement....

The JB3 PnP was a good upgrade.  Made the car much more fun to drive - and it almost feels faster, but that's just the illusion that the spool time of the turbos gives you.  The GT500 is definitely faster.  

335 is very refined, high quality ride with better isolation from road noise, smoother ride. The handling of a 335 with sport option on a a tight windy road is exceptional, you will not see a gt 500 corner anywhere close.

The acceleration in a 335 is brisk the GT 500 is brutal. The only way to get the acceleration on the 335 closer to the GT 500 is to go with the Dinan oil cooler and computer 2-3k. Bumps ph to 384 and tq to 421. Alot of fun for a light car, and with the Dinan program pops your eyeballs out (runs a bit hotter however, and longevity who knows).

Had a 550 i sport as well, awesome V8, exceptional handling for a 4 door.........................Pay good money for these, high quality cars, but trading them in is a disaster, the dealers won't give you much even for pristine low mileage cars............ ask us how we know (645i, 335, 550i).

So you say, why did we get a GT 500 convert. Well the 2011 had tremendous improvements over all previous stangs especially in a convertible mustang. We wanted a convertible my wife would enjoy riding in on long trips, with a back seat to hold both kids and a trunk large enough to take everything for everyone. We also wanted a car that had some character, rumbling exhaust, plenty of power as to not get bored, excellent brakes and enough handling to have fun without scaring the rest of the family on mountain roads. The BMW just came in a distant 2nd.

The GT 500 is a unique car, low enough production so you won't see yourself come and go all day. Make no mistake, it is not refined, and cannot be compared to the BMW fit and finish, nor the handling prowness, but the GT 500 has godzilla like performance for less cost than a 335 sport/ Dinan would be and with potentially better resale values..............

I own both...the 335 for the last 3 years. It's the daily driver. The GT500 will always put a bigger smile on my face on the ride home, however. :happy feet:

Other than price point, its hard to compare the two. I can't see my Shelby as a daily driver on a 30 mile commute in suburban traffic, the 335i excels at that. 6" of snow or -20 degree mornings...335 works great (with winter rubber and heated seats).

I'll be replacing my 335i in the next year with either another 335i or a 135i. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...no fuel pump issues in 40k miles, and I don't have to choose one car over the other.

I own both...the 335 for the last 3 years. It's the daily driver. The GT500 will always put a bigger smile on my face on the ride home, however. :happy feet:

Other than price point, its hard to compare the two. I can't see my Shelby as a daily driver on a 30 mile commute in suburban traffic, the 335i excels at that. 6" of snow or -20 degree mornings...335 works great (with winter rubber and heated seats).

I'll be replacing my 335i in the next year with either another 335i or a 135i. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...no fuel pump issues in 40k miles, and I don't have to choose one car over the other.

You are lucky to have both. I'll be getting a ford fiesta for a commuter car. It's no 335i, but if I want a GT500 then thats how it's gonna be, as I'm certainly not going to use our family SUV (08 Expedition) to drive back and forth to work. I think a fiesta will make me appreciate every second I drive the shelby.

Got a 2011 grabber blue w/white this evening, SVT + Electronics. It has to be shipped to my house so in a week or so I'll be able to drive it! I kept trying to buy one locally but everytime I decided to get one the dealership sold it, happened 3 times and I started to get bummed. But a few phone calls later to another state, and all is well. Thanks for the comments on my questions.

Got a 2011 grabber blue w/white this evening, SVT + Electronics. It has to be shipped to my house so in a week or so I'll be able to drive it! I kept trying to buy one locally but everytime I decided to get one the dealership sold it, happened 3 times and I started to get bummed. But a few phone calls later to another state, and all is well. Thanks for the comments on my questions.

If it falls through, Michael Morris had 3 or 4 sitting on the lot last week.

I am new here, and about to get a 2011 GT500 w/ SVT and Electronic.

I am coming from a 07' 335i (lemon law brake issues) and a 2008 M3 (lemon law fuel issues).

I have also had an 04' Z06, that nothing has been able to touch stock for stock. I am hoping the GT500 gets me close to it though.

I am confused about the handling comments. Some same the 335i handles better then the GT500 and others say not. Which is it??

While the 335i and M3 might be a little more composed and refined at the limits, neither the 335i nor the M3 stock can take corners at 1g like the GT500 w/ SVT can.

Also, if we are just talking composure at the limits, on the GT500, that is only a coil-overs and a watts link away from resolving that issue.

Comments??

I am new here, and about to get a 2011 GT500 w/ SVT and Electronic.

I am coming from a 07' 335i (lemon law brake issues) and a 2008 M3 (lemon law fuel issues).

I have also had an 04' Z06, that nothing has been able to touch stock for stock. I am hoping the GT500 gets me close to it though.

I am confused about the handling comments. Some same the 335i handles better then the GT500 and others say not. Which is it??

While the 335i and M3 might be a little more composed and refined at the limits, neither the 335i nor the M3 stock can take corners at 1g like the GT500 w/ SVT can.

Also, if we are just talking composure at the limits, on the GT500, that is only a coil-overs and a watts link away from resolving that issue.

Comments??

With any luck my car will be shipped here Thursday. While I had 3 years to get to know my 335i, I will let you know what I think about the differences. Just remember that I would have very limited driving time compared to the BMW. There are people on here however that have both or did at one time. Maybe they can elaborate futher for you before I get my car. BTW what colors are you looking at getting on the GT500?

Archived