TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dying for new wheels. what to get?

pmustang

I don't like the ever popular razors, I don't want anything with colors. I.E. black or white. I am going to stay with 18s as my local roads are rough and thus 20s will shake out my fillings.

I prefer 5 spoke designs.

I like some of the shelby offerings but they are quite limited in what fits the big brake cars. I really iike the newer style 10 spokes (like the vintage ones) but they don't fit big brake cars. Shelby wheel co says they are coming out in January with a Torque Thrust style wheel that was shown at SEMA, would love a shot of those if anyone had a photo as TT are one of if not my favorie wheels.

I have found Steeda wheels, 013 0061 45, 5 spoke chromes, they are darn close to perfect to me but I am not sure about going with non staggered size wheels, As well I am bit concerned about chrome wheels as they tend to peel and corrode quite quickly from my experience.

Has anyone went for such a wheel and do you have photos of your car with them?

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_51&products_id=307

cheers. Peter

I don't like the ever popular razors, I don't want anything with colors. I.E. black or white. I am going to stay with 18s as my local roads are rough and thus 20s will shake out my fillings.

I prefer 5 spoke designs.

I like some of the shelby offerings but they are quite limited in what fits the big brake cars. I really iike the newer style 10 spokes (like the vintage ones) but they don't fit big brake cars. Shelby wheel co says they are coming out in January with a Torque Thrust style wheel that was shown at SEMA, would love a shot of those if anyone had a photo as TT are one of if not my favorie wheels.

I have found Steeda wheels, 013 0061 45, 5 spoke chromes, they are darn close to perfect to me but I am not sure about going with non staggered size wheels, As well I am bit concerned about chrome wheels as they tend to peel and corrode quite quickly from my experience.

Has anyone went for such a wheel and do you have photos of your car with themI?

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_51&products_id=307

cheers. Peter

Hey Peter,

Finding wheels that meet your visual requirements, traction requirements, and wheels that actually fit over your big brakes is easier said than done. Been there done that.

I originally wanted a clean 5 spoke wheel too, and ended up with Saleen's 20" "Extreme" wheels. 20x9 front & 20x10 rear. I liked these wheels alright but I kind of rushed into buying them. There's a good "wheel" thread over on SVTP (HERE) and after looking through it, I knew I made the wrong decision. All of the really amazing looking Shelby's were rocking either True Forged or CCW wheels. I ended up recently going with True Forged.

They have several attractive styles to choose from, and you can order them in any finish you'd want from chrome, nickel, polished aluminum, or powder-coated. The wheels are custom made and can be cut for things like the big brakes and special offsets. You can get them in either a 3-piece design that shows all of the assemble bolts, or you can get a 2-piece wheel without the bolts if you're looking for a cleaner look.

Here's some of their 5 spoke designs.

slidevictory.jpg

wheel10.jpg

newsleeper.jpg

Poke around on their site a little, or send Steve (owner of True Forged) an email. He's a super nice guy. I hope this helps a little. Moral of my story is: Don't rush your purchase and make sure you get what you want!

Here's some new pictures of my wheels. I went with their 3-piece "Chicane" wheels. Chromed outer lip, powder-coated center sections, with chrome assembly bolts. My wheels are now 20x9 up front and 20x10.5 in the rear. They'll make them as large as 11.5 in the back if you really want to put some meats on the car too.

tf1q.jpg

tf2gg.jpg

-Brian

Gosh that was the dream like, now after spending ages looking at all those wheels I have come to a conclusion. This is my conclusion and thus you may not agree which makes it the wrong conclusion for you.

alcoas are far and away the best looking wheel in my mind

CS40s are a close second.

big problem I have with the 18 inch wheels is they look like they have much to much tyre, See blue car here

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/555555-post-pics-your-aftermarket-wheels-your-gt500-15.html

I have a blue car and stock wheels and I feel too much tyre is on the car (sidewall height) and this photo shows it perfectly.

I really don't want to go for 20s.

I was thinking 2010 wheels which thankfully someone has on their ride in the photos.

thanks once again, more confused than ever.

Peter

Not the cheapest option, but the best 5 spoke one-piece design is the CCW SP500. I am deciding on whether to go with 19's or 20's (or both like the 2011 SPP).

Of course, everyone has a favorite wheel...so good luck on your search!

The lady at Shelby said the car was at Sema and it will be on a ton of mag covers (at least the wheel will) very shorty.

Sorry Ray Lucca, I should have thanked you, Bought the wheels you mentioned. I was about to pull the trigger on a set on ebay for 200 more plus 125 for shipping. Peter

For me, I went with the 18" CCW 505a's (don't care for the 20" look and performance). Had the wheels picked out for quite some time, but patience paid off. I waited and waited then one day I saw "CCW's for Sale" on this forum. Another member here sold me the exact set for $1K less than new.

Gosh that was the dream like, now after spending ages looking at all those wheels I have come to a conclusion. This is my conclusion and thus you may not agree which makes it the wrong conclusion for you.

alcoas are far and away the best looking wheel in my mind

CS40s are a close second.

big problem I have with the 18 inch wheels is they look like they have much to much tyre, See blue car here

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/555555-post-pics-your-aftermarket-wheels-your-gt500-15.html

I have a blue car and stock wheels and I feel too much tyre is on the car (sidewall height) and this photo shows it perfectly.

I really don't want to go for 20s.

I was thinking 2010 wheels which thankfully someone has on their ride in the photos.

thanks once again, more confused than ever.

Peter

Peter,

I went through almost exactly what you went through; 18"s are "too cold", 20"s are "too hot", so 19"s were "just right". I ended up buying a set of 2011 new take offs this spring and took them back off this fall (selling the car to make room for a Boss 302).

I love these wheels; the look is incredible for a Ford OEM product, and the quality is even better. They actually ride a bit firmer than the 18"s, but they just feel more connected, not harsh. The new Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar rubber is worlds better than the OEM tires on my 2008.

In any event, I won't need them once the car is gone, and they are currently for sale if a local buyer falls through. $1750 with TPMS set up for 2007 - 2009 cars and over half the tread left on the F1s. Another TS member also has a set for sale now, so I'm not (necessarily) plugging mine. That said, do let me know if you're interested... :-)

I have not updated my signature pic below for these wheels, but I did post pictures in the Sticky Wheel Thread (see post #170: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38271-the-wheels-thread/page__st__169).

Good luck!

Stan

I did not know they made them in 19s, I still would have went for 18s though as buying new tyres is not in the budget right now. I picked up the wheels (brand spanking new FORD OEM 18s for 2010) with free wheel nuts thrown in and free shipping for $599 USD. I have to ship them over but that was 300 cheaper than a set on ebay and then they wanted over 100 to ship to my collection point in the US.

The photo of your car definitely makes me happy I bought the ones I did. Lovely motor and lovely looking wheels. they look much better than the stockers. Its a shame we can't put a real dished wheel on these cars and that would really clean up the lower half which I think looks a touch chubby due to the flush wheels and big rubber, thats why 20s look so good.

cheers for the photo and the offer.

Regards:Peter

• 1 month later...

Well got the fronts done on Saturday (2010, 18 inch factory dual five spokers) and for factory wheels (as said above) they look the absolute bomb. I can't wait to do the rears next weekend (could not take four rims to the tyre shop at once) Really happy with the look and the overall cost was miles cheaper than other options. Wish I could do 20s for the look but with my local roads the ride would suffer badly.

Just wanted to thank everyone for suggestions and help.

Peter

i went the ccw route and i love them, i got the 505a's in a 19 and they look great. I couldnt tell you the perfomance difference since the furthest the car has been driven since is out of the garage for these pictures.

9e5e42ca.jpg

03708dbf.jpg

That deeplip in the rear................OOOOOOOOOOOOyeah!

One problem man...now your sig photo looks wrong! :hysterical:

haha yea i know, i bothered the guy who made it on the other forum enough about changing my hp #'s that i dont want to ask him to chop and filter my new wheels

I can't help but notice...is that Mama's Bird in the garage?

What kind of wheels are on it? I saw a Bird with silver Mustang Bullitts on it in Canada at a show, the only T-bird I've ever seen with wheels changed out. It looked pretty good! It seems people are afraid to change the wheels out on those cars? :headscratch:

yup that is my moms t-bird, with the stock chrome i want to say 7-8 spokes.

Still watiing for my house to be built, and me living in baltimore city... not the best place for a shelby. So my car is parked in the parents garage until my new house is done or my dads 65 fastback is restored, whichever comes first

yup that is my moms t-bird, with the stock chrome i want to say 7-8 spokes.

Still watiing for my house to be built, and me living in baltimore city... not the best place for a shelby. So my car is parked in the parents garage until my new house is done or my dads 65 fastback is restored, whichever comes first

lol!!!

Too funny. By Mama, I meant 'the wife's' car. You are serious...it's your Mom's car.

No way would SHE probably ever consider newer wheels on her car! I like those T-birds, being a FORD guy, but that retro attempt never reached the audience they were attempting to get...the 60 something's who remembered the original 55-57's.

Archived