TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Taking a Poll on clutch failures rates and mileage

acarli3

Clutch Failure Poll for 07-09 GT500  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles were on your 07-09 GT500 when the clutch failed (select all that apply if you've had multiple failures)

• N/A - My clutch has not failed
    • 0-1,000
    • 1,000-5,000
    • 5000-10000
    • 10,000-15,000
    • 15,000-25,000
    • 25,000-50,000
    • >50,000
  2. 2. My clutch has NOT failed. My mileage is?

3. 3. What year is your 07-09 GT500

Maybe In another year or two we should take a poll regarding all the aftermarket clutches GT500 owners are using, what they like/dislike about them and how many miles they've put on them. Could be useful information to give owners as they look for replacements/options. But probably premature at this point as I'm not sure many of the aftermarket clutches have many miles on them yet to determine if they are an viable, cost effective alternative.

Dealership did the first TSB on the books for it and it lasted 4 blocks on a test drive, they didn't bat an eye, on the phone with Ford and Ford flat bedded a complete new tranny, flywheel and clutch assy. Haven't had any problems with it, have put about 11k on it since then. No heavy racing.

Now if it goes out next week, I'm holding you responsible. Shutup.gifLMAO.gif

A poll should be added that asks whether or not you daily drive your Shelby through rush hour traffic, since that's supposedly what causes the clutch to heat up and warp (the stop and go). I don't have my Shelby yet but I will be getting a 2007-2009 and I this will be my only car and I will be driving it mostly everyday in the FL heat and traffic, so I'm worried. I wonder how many people voted that they have no issues but have never or rarely put themselves in the situation where the clutch had the chance to even heat up....

We can ceratinly do that. Let's let this one roll for a week or two and see what we all learn from the data. There are a ton of posts throughout various threads regarding the clutches and I found it difficlut at best to assess the extent of the issue. Is it a widespread issue or just a dozen people making a lot of noise? We also need to know who has nods and who is stock? Who races and who uses the car for a daily driver/Sunday driver? There are probably too many variables for us to be able to collect data on that could be helpful in determing what factors and driving styles contribute to the failure or prolong a clutch life. I think many of them are probably already intuitive anyway.

Sub 5k miles and clutch failed. Went with a spec stage three and 1500 miles later still happy.

Old Flywheel was burned blue and clutch plate looked like 100k miles.

peter

Sounds as thought the TSB was not performed and had a faulty flywheel. That's what mine had. it would flex back under acceleration thus engaging the clutch while accelerating, and it didn't take long...then gone.

I had my done at 4k only because I was advised by an SVT engineer my car had the symptons. Took pictures of several cars clutches including mine . My clutch disc`s look good with minor wear & the flywheel had a small scratch in it as something went through it. I haven`t been hard on it so maybe that is why , but then again a buddy had his done & his showed some wear & the flywheel had some blue marks on it . This guy drag raced his car & had done several burn outs.

I also have pictures of 3 other TSB clutch changes with some showing wear & others looking okay. I now have 3k on my new clutch with no issues.

Mine is a 09 and went out with just under 8k miles. I drive mine on weekends and get stuck mostly in traffic. Been to the track once. Brought it to dealership on monday, they looked at it and ordered parts that day. Car was up and running by thursday. I couldnt be happier with the service and the new 2010/2011 clutch. Its feels 100x's better than original clutch.

I got to see my old clutch while checking in on tech. It had hot spots on flywheel.

• 3 years later...

Hi there y'all,

Has there been any new poles on aftermarket clutches best suited for the GT500? I have 2011 and been in worst case scenario I guess as I am working on replacing clutch number 3 in under 6,000 miles, so want to find out what aftermarket clutch out there endures heat and traffic if I want to be a daily driver - post-38734-0-72099700-1390168567_thumb.jpgregardless of conditions.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Scott

Mine is a 09 and went out with just under 8k miles. I drive mine on weekends and get stuck mostly in traffic. Been to the track once. Brought it to dealership on monday, they looked at it and ordered parts that day. Car was up and running by thursday. I couldnt be happier with the service and the new 2010/2011 clutch. Its feels 100x's better than original clutch.

I got to see my old clutch while checking in on tech. It had hot spots on flywheel.

This is pretty much my experience with my '09 but at 12K miles. The Service Tech thought I had an aftermarket clutch because the pedal pressure was so stiff, verified it was factory with the beakdown. Ford updated mine with the TSB 2010/2011 under warranty and it is an excellent upgrade. It took a little longer to get all the parts ordered (one was hard to find as I remember) and work completed but well worth it - even if you have to do it out of warranty.

Mine went at 22k on the dot. Its an 09. The first 14k miles where not mine. Ford did the tsb under warranty im at 36k now with no issues and I do dd in a major metro area for what ever thats worth

Im the 3rd owner of my 08. Bought it with 15k miles on it almost two years ago and put another 15k on it since then. It has slipped under very high load conditions but only a few times. Its a matter of time before it goes altogether but I can still get on it pretty hard with no problems. Pedal feel is very stiff. I have gotten used to the feel and engagement but others who drive it including a few mechanics say its the hardest clutch they have ever felt. I grin and tell them my wife has no problems with it. I will put a McLeod RXT in it sometime in the next year.

• 1 month later...

Just took the KR out this week, for the first time in a few months. Getting on the interstate, I hammered it for a few seconds and the clutch slipped. At first I thought I had spun the rear tires, but remembered that I had bought 4 new ones early last year, so a bit later I tried it again. Yep, when I get down on it, the clutch is slipping just about the time the supercharger kicks in. Needless to say, my heart just sunk. Ever seen a grown man cry? I'm right at 25k miles, but the kicker is that in mid-April, I'll hit the 5 year powertrain warranty wall. I'll be taking her to my dealer on Monday, but wanted to run this by all you guys first.

Did a quick search here, as I thought I'd seen something about a TSB on this clutch, but can't find the thread(s). Should I have any problems getting the dealer to replace the clutch either by a TSB or the original warranty? If its by TSB, there's no time/mileage limit on those, correct?

I haven't done any racing (well, you know, there were those two Porche's a couple years back, who are still probably cleaning the stains out of their shorts) and obviously only put about 5k miles on it a year. Just looking at this thread, it would seem that this was/is a fairly common issue with the '09 500/KR.

I can do routine stuff on cars, but never did a clutch/transmission. Do they just drop the tranny to change the clutch, or does the engine have to come out?

I'm really sick to my stomach that they are going to have to perform major surgery on my all-time favorite toy, but it looks like I'll have no choice.

Just took the KR out this week, for the first time in a few months. Getting on the interstate, I hammered it for a few seconds and the clutch slipped. At first I thought I had spun the rear tires, but remembered that I had bought 4 new ones early last year, so a bit later I tried it again. Yep, when I get down on it, the clutch is slipping just about the time the supercharger kicks in. Needless to say, my heart just sunk. Ever seen a grown man cry? I'm right at 25k miles, but the kicker is that in mid-April, I'll hit the 5 year powertrain warranty wall. I'll be taking her to my dealer on Monday, but wanted to run this by all you guys first.

Did a quick search here, as I thought I'd seen something about a TSB on this clutch, but can't find the thread(s). Should I have any problems getting the dealer to replace the clutch either by a TSB or the original warranty? If its by TSB, there's no time/mileage limit on those, correct?

I haven't done any racing (well, you know, there were those two Porche's a couple years back, who are still probably cleaning the stains out of their shorts) and obviously only put about 5k miles on it a year. Just looking at this thread, it would seem that this was/is a fairly common issue with the '09 500/KR.

I can do routine stuff on cars, but never did a clutch/transmission. Do they just drop the tranny to change the clutch, or does the engine have to come out?

I'm really sick to my stomach that they are going to have to perform major surgery on my all-time favorite toy, but it looks like I'll have no choice.

Was your KR built after this date: Build date: 8/19/08

Great talking to you Rob. I do appreciate the info. Just to be sure I'm looking at the right place, I don't have a specific date with month/day/year, but just 09/08:

DoorPlate.jpg

I'll spend some time this weekend going through the TSB and the other PDFs in your posts. I'm going to be ready when I talk to my service manager on Monday!

Great talking to you Rob. I do appreciate the info. Just to be sure I'm looking at the right place, I don't have a specific date with month/day/year, but just 09/08:

DoorPlate.jpg

I'll spend some time this weekend going through the TSB and the other PDFs in your posts. I'm going to be ready when I talk to my service manager on Monday!

John,

I enjoy talking about our cars with enthusiasts like you. We need a dealer that has access to The Ford OASIS system to run your vin number and see what the exact manufacture date on your car is. Yours is sept of 09 but it would be good to have the exact date. Knowledge is power so it's good that you are going to study up on all the data so you can ask the right questions. Talk to you soon. Rob

Just remembered I had the dealer pull the HVBOM report for me. Here's the top of page 1:

HVBOM.jpg

If I'm reading this right, it was made on 8/30/08?

I think you are correct on the date. Work the dealer along the lines that we discussed. 3 tsb's trying to fix the 07-09 clutch issues with a flywheel that overheated and warped and then took out the clutch. Then the 4th TSB puts the 2010 clutch system in our cars to fix it. The flywheel is on the power train warranty so keep working that as the root cause.

Archived