TEAM SHELBY FORUM

stripes on drivers fender

jwestercamp

They are known as "pit stripes" . Makes for quick identification of one car over another when entering Pit road. Especially helpful if there are several of the same Make / Model / Color car running the same race. And they look cool too !Iofj

What is the deal with stripes on the drivers fenders on peoplese cars it looks cool, but i dont understand it?

I put mine on for two reasons, they look really nice on any Mustang and they detour people from leaning on the car while looking under the hood at car shows. Before the stripes people would lean on the car and after the stripes it stopped completely. B)

And fellas.........................it's all about look'n kool!!

Someone asked my why I had "Corvette stripes" on mine...

Can't say that I knew what they represented before I got the GT500 though. :shrug:

That squirrel drinking what looks like Guinness, funny as s :censored:

They are known as "pit stripes" . Makes for quick identification of one car over another when entering Pit road. Especially helpful if there are several of the same Make / Model / Color car running the same race. And they look cool too !Iofj

Does anyone remember when Roger Penske had a blue Camaro in Trans-Am racing with a black vinyl top? The alleged purpose was for identification between his other car(s)

Does anyone remember when Roger Penske had a blue Camaro in Trans-Am racing with a black vinyl top? The alleged purpose was for identification between his other car(s)

I don't remember that one. I do recall the vinyl roof was purported to improve boundary layer separation, as well as support an option on the order list. There were also stories about how if you stuck your head inside that car and looked up, you could see daylight: the roof was completely covered by pinholes, purported to aid in airflow through the cockpit and boundary layer behavior as well. I don't remember if the car in question had the colored headlights typical in Penske cars of one year or another.

My MGB identification was a high-reflectivity fluorescent red front valence, as seen in these pictures at Holtville (something like fifth in class) and Willow Springs (came second in class, seventh overall in the three-hour enduro) back in the day. The chin could be seen easily from the pits while the mostly dark-car field at Willow was in turn four-five. I'm still looking for the right shade of vinyl to "wrap" the lower "air dam" section of my white GT/CS's front valence.

camaroR_6_01.jpg

camaroS_6_01.jpg

bholtville.jpg

bwillow.jpg

camaroR_6_01.jpg

camaroS_6_01.jpg

bholtville.jpg

bwillow.jpg

Archived