TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Black Rear Calipers

I just bought the Brembo upgrade kit for the front brakes and I'm looking to get rid of the stock silver calipers in the rear. I know that I could just paint them black, but then the problem is: while on the track the calipers and rotors get so hot the paint will begin to chip off. I'd rather not have paint chipping off my calipers. Has anyone been able to find replacment calipers for back or a paint that will endure the heat?

Go with G2 Caliper Paint. Linkie.

Or, buy a used set of rear calipers, disassemble them and have them powdercoated. The rear calipers are cheap. In fact contact Robert and I bet SA has a few laying around that they will let go for a song.

You can also go with the covers sold in the Shelby Store.

I didn't even waste my money on the G2 paint, just went to the local hobby store and bought some Gloss Black Model Paint and disassembled the rear calipers and used a brush to paint them black to match my front Brembos and they look GREAT and are holding up Very Well...Cheap to repair if you do nick one of them too...just keep a small bottle of the paint around...I've done this on several cars, and never had a problem.

Carl, I know we talked about this before but how does the model paint hold up against brake cleaner?

I haven't had any issues with it in the past...of course, I didn't drench the parts in it either...Used some on a rag and wiped them down...it did seem to dull the shine on the red ones a little, but another quick coat of paint and all was well again...CHEAP is the main word here....$1.57 a bottle at Hobby Lobby....Used about 1.5 bottles doing both sides, calipers, mounting brackets and backing plates....

Archived