TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Muffler Delete Kit

I saw that Shelby is offering a muffler delete kit in their new catolog. Has anyone tired it out yet? It says that it will make the car louder, but I haven't been able to sense how loud it will become? The car comes from the factory with four mufflers (two in the back and two in the front), will taking two away make that much of a difference in the exhaust sound aspect?

I do not have the muffler delete package because, at least for me, there was a better way to go. I had electric exhaust cutouts installed. They are on a toggle switch and I had them installed so that I would have a freer flowing exhaust for the track. How much louder they are depends on how you drive it. If you are keeping a steady speed, it is not much different. Punch it, and it is a whole different story. Certainly not the same as straight pipes because the cutouts are after the cats. I saw it as a decent compromise for a car that runs on the street sometimes but on the track more of the time.

Jim

The car comes with 2 mufflers. Those other 2 'mufflers' you refer to are catalysts for emission reduction.

Muffler deletes all sound the same on these cars. Pull up a youtube video of any 3V with your mods (or stock if you have none) running any brand muffler deletes and voila, you'll know whether it's a sound you want to stick with for awhile or not. Good luck.

I installed a set of Stainless Steel Systems Muffler Deletes on my 2008 SGT, and I absolutely LOVE the way it makes the car sound now. My wife even likes the sound and wants a set on her new 2011 GT/CS...

At highway cruising speeds it is no louder than the stock mufflers. When you hit Wide Open Throttle though, it's a whole new ballgame! They sound awesome!

where are you in Michigan? I'm near the border in n/w indiana...

Just outside of detroit. I live in the same city that detroit metro airport is in. I have family over in IN, they live just outside of South Bend. Sounds like we're about three hours away or so.

I've been up that way a few times, bought my jeep frame/engine from a guy in clarkston, and some seats for my '68 in farminton area i think....

I go to south bend pretty often, have clients there, and much larger shopping selection than my area. If you still haven't pulled the trigger on deletes before your next visit down here, let me know and I can meet you in south bend to let you hear how it sounds.

By the way, the pypebomb deletes are 4" tips like the orig sgt tips.... That was a big selling point to me as I wanted to keep that bigger tip look...

I would too... Are those sound-bytes from post S/C?

I'm kinda leary of anything that will add more power until I get the funds to upgrade internals. I, too, am one of the 500 club...

the sound clips were pre-whipple. I don't beleive deletes give any power gains over the stock sgt mufflers, they are pretty free flowing stock... no tune required. it's not really louder with the blower, but the tone did change a little, nothing drastic!

I've been up that way a few times, bought my jeep frame/engine from a guy in clarkston, and some seats for my '68 in farminton area i think....

I go to south bend pretty often, have clients there, and much larger shopping selection than my area. If you still haven't pulled the trigger on deletes before your next visit down here, let me know and I can meet you in south bend to let you hear how it sounds.

Yeah, definetly. I'd like to see what kind of effect the whipple has on the car too. I'm debating on putting one in within the next few months.

the sound clips were pre-whipple. I don't beleive deletes give any power gains over the stock sgt mufflers, they are pretty free flowing stock... no tune required. it's not really louder with the blower, but the tone did change a little, nothing drastic!

Any problems with the cops because there's no mufflers? Or is it not noticeable enough?

Yeah, you can definately hear them when you open it up, and I absolutely LOVE that sound! I'm an ex cop of 30 years, and I'm now working with the Police Department on IT issues, so most of them know me around here now, so I don't really have to worry about it any more, but if Harley Davidsons can run straight pipes without mufflers, why can't I??? Same thing...Good Defense too...LOL

Edited by motorjock205

I had the mufflers removed last summer just a few days before Grabber's Meet. Had a couple of 4" dia x 18" long stainless tips and a bit of pipe welded in place.

Love the sound. All the different people that has commented on the sound love it. I can't see putting the mufflers back on.

post-23391-098631600 1290206959_thumb.jpg

post-23391-098631600 1290206959_thumb.jpg