TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Radio- 1000 watts and the 500 watts

BillyRay

I know getting 500 watts in the convt can take up to much truck space and slow up the production. Who has the 500 in their convt and does it have enough power and sound quality? I have heard the 1000 watt system and it rocks!! BillyRay

I know getting 500 watts in the convt can take up to much truck space and slow up the production. Who has the 500 in their convt and does it have enough power and sound quality? I have heard the 1000 watt system and it rocks!! BillyRay

500 good for me... I don't really listen to it anyway

The only difference between the 500 and 1000 is the subs in the trunk. The extra 500 watts is the amps for the subs. I removed my subwoofer module

and amps to save weight. By the way, the power rating ford is giving is peak power, not RMS power

I haven't heard the 500. I ordered the 1000 and it kicks azzzzz.

HSURB - stuggling to stay young.

Top down and balls out the 500 has plenty of power and great sound! 500 is just fine with me.

My wife's GT has the 500 and my Shelby has the 1000. Mine beats hers hands down at all volume levels. I don't care about trunk space. All I need room for is a wash bucket, chamios, Quick Detailer and micro fiber towels.

Get the 1000. You always have the power if you need it. It is just like like horsepower, you don't have to keep it floored unless you want to.

I have the shaker 1000 and love mine. Sound is great. As for trunk\storage space I only care about that in my wife's Freestar. I could care less about trunk space in my Shelby. The only thing I've put back there and ever will is the original front floor mats. It's a Mustang, not suppose to have any room behind driver seat. :play:

A third option is the Nav system. While I really don't need the navigation in a Shelby, the color touchscreen and its ability to display MP3 information, folders and radio RDS data is a much nicer radio. From the factory the Nav option is mutually exclusive of the S1000 but...

You can order the S1000 from the factory and then buy the Ford Accessories upgrade nav package and have both. You cannot do it the other way around.

I had ordered the S1000 but a some point in the waiting game, Ford gave me an altumatim, GT-500 in December without the S1000 or wait til Feb to get the option. Don't know why but there were several others on the forum that had the same experience in early October. Anyway, I added a Scosche sub enclosure molded to fit the GT500 trunk and hold a Blaupunkt 12" sub and a 1500w amp. Tied it into the factory system. While aftermarket, it does sound and look great.

I am in the process of upgrading the head unit from the S500 to the Nav unit. It will be covered by the factory warranty and will add value to the car. Not to mention fun to play with. Will let folks know how that upgrade goes when done.

A third option is the Nav system. While I really don't need the navigation in a Shelby, the color touchscreen and its ability to display MP3 information, folders and radio RDS data is a much nicer radio. From the factory the Nav option is mutually exclusive of the S1000 but...

You can order the S1000 from the factory and then buy the Ford Accessories upgrade nav package and have both. You cannot do it the other way around.

I had ordered the S1000 but a some point in the waiting game, Ford gave me an altumatim, GT-500 in December without the S1000 or wait til Feb to get the option. Don't know why but there were several others on the forum that had the same experience in early October. Anyway, I added a Scosche sub enclosure molded to fit the GT500 trunk and hold a Blaupunkt 12" sub and a 1500w amp. Tied it into the factory system. While aftermarket, it does sound and look great.

I am in the process of upgrading the head unit from the S500 to the Nav unit. It will be covered by the factory warranty and will add value to the car. Not to mention fun to play with. Will let folks know how that upgrade goes when done.

I see your a lot like me. My wife gives me hell all the time for repeating myself too. :hysterical2::hysterical:

I bought my gt500 vert for two reasons. My first car was a vert, and I loved it. Second Im a mustang nut and bought the gt500 for power. I love the way the engine sounds. I dont even care that it has a radio, let alone a nav system. Hell, I dont care where im going when I drive it, why do I need to navigate. I personally think if you want those options, you should buy a BMW. Not knocking anyone who has it, but for me its a waste of money and weight.

I bought my gt500 vert for two reasons. My first car was a vert, and I loved it. Second Im a mustang nut and bought the gt500 for power. I love the way the engine sounds. I dont even care that it has a radio, let alone a nav system. Hell, I dont care where im going when I drive it, why do I need to navigate. I personally think if you want those options, you should buy a BMW. Not knocking anyone who has it, but for me its a waste of money and weight.

You know when I drive mine I also could care a crapp less where I'm going, but I do want to sound cool wherever it is I end up at. I love being a true American. Gas is almost $3 a gallon and ain't it great just to get in it and waste all that money, and enjoy doing at the same time? Only in America can you blow so much money and have such fun doing it. They should have charged us double on the federal gas guzzler tax. Maybe I ought to send this post to my state senator so they can raise the tax for everyone else who hasn't bought theirs yet. :hysterical:

You know when I drive mine I also could care a crapp less where I'm going, but I do want to sound cool wherever it is I end up at. I love being a true American. Gas is almost $3 a gallon and ain't it great just to get in it and waste all that money, and enjoy doing at the same time? Only in America can you blow so much money and have such fun doing it. They should have charged us double on the federal gas guzzler tax. Maybe I ought to send this post to my state senator so they can raise the tax for everyone else who hasn't bought theirs yet. :hysterical:

You can waste money in Canada Too! :banana piano:

$3.00 a Gallon? :hysterical:

Send me some. :hysterical2:

kstrong

The only extra you get with the 1000 is subs in the trunk and the amps to power them. I listened to both and bought the 1000 knowing it was not good bang for the buck (the sound, as with the 500, is mediocre...not bad, but not great). I got it simply because it was convenient and I figured I might want a little extra thump every now and then.

In terms of loudness while driving, the 1000 will give you stronger base, but the highs and midrange are the same...same speakers and, basically, the same amps.

Now that I have it, I might go with the 500 if I were to do it over and spend the extra money on replacing the speakers and adding after market amps as I don't find myself wanting all the bass it provides...but I do find myself wanting better definition throughout the range.

Be careful what you ask for. The new EPA fuel economy numbers for 2008 were released this week at www.fuelecomomy.gov. The GT-500s GGT is going up from $1300 to $2100. Not quite double but a big jump. Don't know for sure but the GT may have a GGT as well for the first time. Ford's averge corp fuel economy is in trouble and is yet one more reason the price of the GT500 may go up even more next year as they cut back production to meet average fuel ecomomy numbers......

In case it matters, the point I was trying to make is that one might want to upgrade to the nav system to get a much better and more full featured stereo head unit rather than just for the nav system.

Be careful what you ask for. The new EPA fuel economy numbers for 2008 were released this week at www.fuelecomomy.gov. The GT-500s GGT is going up from $1300 to $2100. Not quite double but a big jump. Don't know for sure but the GT may have a GGT as well for the first time. Ford's averge corp fuel economy is in trouble and is yet one more reason the price of the GT500 may go up even more next year as they cut back production to meet average fuel ecomomy numbers......

Sorry folks, I didn't know. Not my fault. :blush:

Archived