TEAM SHELBY FORUM

6 or 6.5 Qts Oil?

09KR0058

Got my Race Ramps (67") and the Roll Ups today, so I'm ready to do my first oil change. The dealer did the first three and I'll never use them again. First time, they let oil drip all over the frame when removing the filter, and the last time they used 5W-20 instead of the 5W-50. I've always done oil changes myself on every vehicle I've owned, but couldn't get under the KR until I got these ramps.

Checking the KR Owner's Supplement, it calls for 6 Qts of 5W-50 Premium Synthetic Blend (Ford part number XO-5W50-QGT). Out of curiosity, I checked the GT500 Owner's Supplement, and it calls for 6.5 Qts (same spec). In the base Mustang manual, for the 5.7L, it also says 6 Qts. Which is correct?

As for the filter, I didn't find anything in the KR Supplement, but the GT500 Supplement says Ford part number FL-820S. I know that a lot of you use other brands of oil and filters, but I've always been a "Do it by the book" guy on my cars and boats, and always use exactly what the manufacturer says to use. I know it costs more, but that's just me.

Will post pictures when I get her up on the ramps for the change.

6.5, but TS member and my friend "DDT" will tell you that 7.0 Qrts is just fine.

6.5 is the offical quantity.

Bring your credit/debit card. Oil & filter will cost you close to $75

You called it. Total was $75.75. $9.11/qt and $7.69 for the filter.

Interesting side note. The manual says that the XO-5W50-QGT is a synthetic blend, but the box/bottle says its full synthetic.

You called it. Total was $75.75. $9.11/qt and $7.69 for the filter.

Interesting side note. The manual says that the XO-5W50-QGT is a synthetic blend, but the box/bottle says its full synthetic.

Some interesting reading in a recent oil thread here: 5w-50 oils. It looks like the Motorcraft 5w-50 my not be the best stuff available. I'm thinking of trying out the RedLine oil for my next change.

• 7 months later...

I have had my KR for 6 months now and have just over 1,000 miles on it. How often do you guys change your oil??

Now is the time to do your first oil change. After that, it's twice a year if you don't drive it a lot. I have 2000 miles on my car and I think I have (4) oil changes on it already.

Now is the time to do your first oil change. After that, it's twice a year if you don't drive it a lot. I have 2000 miles on my car and I think I have (4) oil changes on it already.

Roger that. She is getting a change this weekend. Thanks for the input.